Home Forums Movies 1976 Best Actress—any experts?

1976 Best Actress—any experts?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Aunt Peg
RobertPius
CitizenBlake
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

How big of a surprise was Sissy Spacek getting in for a horror film like Carrie? How’d Marie-Christine Barrault get in? That doesn’t seem like a real Oscar performance. Who got left out?

Did Talia Shire decide to be advertised as lead? (dumb move if so, she’d have won supporting)

Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking at the nominees one wouldn’t realise there was not much to pick from which did help to enable some good (Barrault) to great work (Spacek) slip in when they normally would not have.

Cousin Cousine was a huge hit so that alone helped Barrault. The film ran for months and months.

Carrie was also a big ‘sleeper’ hit, a critical darling and Spacek won the National Society of Film Critics Award at a time when it did help people gain Oscar nominations – not the case now due to timeframe changes. Both of these helped her make the final five, which she fully deserved but it was such a surprise for a ‘teen’ horror picture, however brilliant is was. People were also aware of Badlands and that didn’t hurt either.

Don’t know if Shire was promoted for Supporting though.

ReplyCopy URL
    CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

Carrie was also a big ‘sleeper’ hit, a critical darling and Spacek won the National Society of Film Critics Award at a time when it did help people gain Oscar nominations – not the case now due to timeframe changes.

Wasn’t the National Society of Film Critics Award one of the very few credible precursor awards at that time in 1976? I don’t think there would have been upwards of fifty precursors to hit unlike nowadays, leading to uncertainty in the overall nominations at the major awards like the Globes which could also be a reason someone like Barrault got in.

And I love that Spacek – one of my most adored actresses – got in for Carrie. It seemed so off the cuff, but it was an ingenious nomination.

Shire would have been better if she went Supporting, to be honest. She was taking in credible precursors (NBR, NYFCC, NSFC) before doing the dumb and allowing herself to be campaigned for in lead. That probably cost her an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

Wasn’t the National Society of Film Critics Award one of the very few credible precursor awards at that time in 1976? I don’t think there would have been upwards of fifty precursors to hit unlike nowadays, leading to uncertainty in the overall nominations at the major awards like the Globes which could also be a reason someone like Barrault got in.

And I love that Spacek – one of my most adored actresses – got in for Carrie. It seemed so off the cuff, but it was an ingenious nomination.

Shire would have been better if she went Supporting, to be honest. She was taking in credible precursors (NBR, NYFCC, NSFC) before doing the dumb and allowing herself to be campaigned for in lead. That probably cost her an Oscar.

Yes, along with the New York Film Critics Awards and the dubious National Board of Review. The LA Film Critics were only in their second year in 1976.

Spacek’s nomination for Carrie is one of the most deserved and unexpected nomination ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

It was Shire herself, not United Artists, who pushed herself into Lead. (It was also, for what it’s worth, Shire herself who took out Best Supporting Actress ads in the trades for The Godfather Part II, which of course worked.)

Spacek wasn’t terribly surprising, as it just wasn’t a very strong year for leading ladies. Despite the lackluster reviews for A Star Is Born, Barbra Streisand was actually viewed as likely for her third Best Actress nomination.

THE OSCAR 100 (#40-36): Ellen Burstyn, Katharine Hepburn, Julianne Moore, Ian McKellen and Roy Scheider

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Faye Dunaway – Network
    Liv Ullmann – Face to Face
    Marie-Christine Barrault -Cousin cousine
    Sissy Spacek – Carrie
    Talia Shire -Rocky

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Shire looks mad when she loses too. She obviously thought she stood a chance even though Dunaway on her third nomination (and being close to winning for the first two) would have been unbeatable. Strange.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Liv was by far he best for me. But there were too many odds against her in terms of winning. Ingmar Bergman helped create some of the greatest performances in cinema history, but they were sometimes “too out there” when it came to the Academy.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

The race was between Liv Ullmann & Faye Dunaway definitely. Talia Shire I remember reading wanted to be in the Lead category. I, too, believe she would have won supporting if she had been in that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Milo Kunis
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, the look of disgust and disdain on Talia Shire’s face upon hearing Faye Dunaway’s name announced as the winner is the stuff of legend.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, the look of disgust and disdain on Talia Shire’s face upon hearing Faye Dunaway’s name announced as the winner is the stuff of legend.

Stallone looks annoyed too. No smile. Especially since he is losing to a man who died. Even if he hadn’t died Peter Finch would have won. Lot of ego on the Rocky team I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnL3uE-TzFw

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Who knows? I tend to agree with you…but maybe he thought Robert DeNiro should have won, haha. The Best Picture race seemed pretty tight that year and maybe he was worried Network was going to win Best Pic over Rocky since Finch beat him. I do know that William Holden put a brave face but was really sad that he lost because he knew it was his last chance to win another one.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.