Home Forums Movies 1976 Best Supporting Actress Oscar nominees

1976 Best Supporting Actress Oscar nominees

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
FilmRoyalty
Barbra Please
Wanda
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I was watching Network on TCM last night and saw Beatrice Straight’s 5 minute role that won her the 1976 Best Supporting Actress Oscar. She is excellent and I kind of see how she won. The actress I would have voted for her is Piper Laurie as Carrie’s lunatic religious fanatic mom but that film was a horror film and her performance is over the top (but incredibly chilling and effective). My second choice is Lee Grant as a concerned mother in Voyage of the Damned; she had won the previous year for Shampoo. Jodie Foster played a 12 year old prostitute in Taxi Driver. Jane Alexander’s role was also incredibly small as an evasive woman who has information about the Watergate break-in. She only has about five minutes of screen time too. So it makes sense that Straight would win even though she only appears in two scenes and she only really acts in the one scene, letting her errant husband have it for his affairs and letting him know all the sacrifices she has made over the 25 years of their marriage.

Some notable performances that were left out that year: Shelley Winters was hilarious as an overbearing Jewish Mama in Next Stop, Greenwich Village – probably my favorite performance by her ever; Talia Shire was nominated in the Best Actress category but really had a supporting role in Rocky; Marthe Keller got a Golden Globe nomination for her intense role in Marathon Man; Katharine Ross won the Golden Globe for her role in Voyage of the Damned; Wendy Hiller was very touching, also in Voyage of the Damned; Melinda Dillon gave a strong performance in the Woody Guthrie biopic Bound For Glory.

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Of the three nominees I’ve seen (Foster, Laurie and Straight), I would have voted for Foster. I know it’s weird but I don’t really care about Laurie in Carrie, I even like Betty Buckley more.

Outside of the nominees, my favorite supporting performance is Nicole Garcia in Duelle. Haven’t seen a lot from this year but I’d be surprised if I find someone better.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

Piper Laurie gave one of the all-time performances in this category, but I understand Beatrice winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

Piper Laurie couldn’t follow in Ruth Gordon’s footsteps to win for a horror movie; perhaps this was due to Carrie, being a high school-set horror with flashy effects, wasn’t seen as a highbrow or ‘elevated’ example of the genre the way Rosemary’s Baby was. (This bias continues to exist within the Academy today.) Aside from that, it’s odd that Laurie lost considering her role as a monster-mom is usually catnip in this category, not to mention the narrative of her return to film acting after a fifteen-year hiatus following The Hustler. Laurie claimed that she initially believed she was in a comedy or satire when she took the role, and was even going for laughs in some takes. De Palma dialled her down, but the resultant tension in her performance is effective I think. It’s a grand guignol performance with brief but crucial moments of psychological nuance (which are not always provided by the script). I truly appreciate what Beatrice Straight accomplished within a single scene in Network but I really wish Laurie had won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

Great set of nominees

Piper Laurie would have gotten my vote, but I can’t begrudge Straight her win.

She was excellent

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Piper Laurie would have gotten my vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

How did Jane Alexander get in? She is barely in that movie. I think like 2 scenes and in one of them she is just standing off in the distance. (maybe 3 scenes? I forget.)

I think Carrie was considered a low budget gore fest and the uptight Academy may have not even watched it. (You had to leave your house to see them back then.)

Straight really delivers in her big scene. Whole range of emotions in like 6 minutes.

Laurie is iconic but Straight was more suitable for Academy tastes probably. (The Exorcist didn’t win much three years before and Mia Farrow or Rosemary’s Baby for Best Picture didn’t even get nominations.)

Ruth Gordon was Hollywood favorite and icon so she was respectable enough for them I’d guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

No disrespect to the amazing Jane Alexander, but she didn’t do anything noteworthy in that cameo lol. Even Hermoine Baddeley’s 2 minutes Oscar nominated performance in Room At The Top (1959) was far more nuanced.

Speaking of Straight, i think her performance was spectacular despite her brief screen time. She deserved the Oscar.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Tang Wei, Decision To Leave
    Rebecca Hall, Resurrection

James Hong & Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

Marlene Warfield only had a few scenes in Network, but I thought she would gave made a terrific nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Marlene Warfield only had a few scenes in Network, but I thought she would gave made a terrific nominee.

i really like her delivery of “dont f**k with my distribution cost…” lol

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Tang Wei, Decision To Leave
    Rebecca Hall, Resurrection

James Hong & Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

i really like her delivery of “dont f**k with my distribution cost…” lol

LOLOLOL

Just like Betty Gabriel in Get Out, she DELIVERED with little screentime.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.