Home Forums Movies 1977 Oscars–love this year

1977 Oscars–love this year

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
RobertPius
Aunt Peg
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I finally saw The Turning Point so now I’ve seen everything. This is one of the best years for Best Actress ever. All five were deserving plus Diane Keaton also had Looking for Mr. Goodbar.

Julia is an interesting film and the train scene is riveting. (dramatic ceremony too with Redgrave/Paddy C. going at it.)

Baryshnikov is an odd nomination. He danced well but barely says anything. Peter Firth should have won but that film some find grim. I like it though.

Turning Point is really for people who love ballet but it has some good dramatic moments and Bancroft and MacLaine really deliver. (the fight scene is great.)

Thoughts on this year?

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

It really is a strong Best Actress year. I always trust you know about these things, so was Shirley MacLaine really talked about as a contender that year? I heard there was some overdue narrative going for her and she looked sort of pissed when Keaton won. Also, did Shelley Duvall come close to a nomination for 3 Women?

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty good year.
    Jane might have been second behind Vanessa.
    Bancroft didn’t pull even the ballet poses off, but she was nonetheless terrific.
    If they nominated Leslie Browne, they’re going to cite Baryshnikov who was at the top of his game and of the discipline. Lol
    Shirley is terrific. She’s one of my favorite actors as well. I had no inkling that she was irked over the loss. Diane was IT imo.

ETA Oh yes Equus. I saw the ballet version and I couldn’t bare that either. Firth was a very intense young man however. Preferred Burton a bit more.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

It really is a strong Best Actress year. I always trust you know about these things, so was Shirley MacLaine really talked about as a contender that year? I heard there was some overdue narrative going for her and she looked sort of pissed when Keaton won. Also, did Shelley Duvall come close to a nomination for 3 Women?

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I think there was some talk that MacLaine was overdue and could win. Bancroft already had one so there wasn’t vote splitting. MacLaine didn’t get a Globe nomination oddly so that hurt a bit. It was her fourth nomination without a win so that helped.

I think Keaton was the favorite with MacLaine and Fonda seen as having outside chances. Keaton was helped with Goodbar coming out right at the end of the year so she had a comedy (which they clearly liked) and a controversial drama that was a real change of pace for her. I’ve seen it said that she really won for Goodbar but the film was too explicit and violent so they gave it to her for Annie Hall the lighter more lovable role in a film they clearly liked.)

Maclaine does make an odd expression when she loses.I don’t know if she’s mad or if she’s like yikes can you believe I lost to her. She turns to Arthur Laurents who is sitting next to her. Turning Point had just lost three awards in a row to Annie Hall when it was seen as the favorite to win Best Picture. MacLaine may just be going eek!!! it is not going our way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQKuNHhX8Js

I’d guess Shelley Duvall was close to a nomination. The film was in the mix what with Spacek winning the New York Film Critics Supporting Actress. It always shocks me a bit that Spacek didn’t get in for Supporting. I think I’ve read the film wasn’t campaigned that hard and the actresses suffered. No Globes even. Duvall did get a BAFTA nom though. The film may have been too weird for the Academy.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure at all about Duvall. I remember she had a one hour show with fairy tale characters like the big bad wolf with Jeff Goldblum and Valerie Perrine. Can’t find it in her filmography.
    Don’t know why 3 women was overlooked. That was a good Altman film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I watched 3 Women recently, and Duvall’s snub pains me even though she did win the LA critics award. (Funnily enough she appear briefly in Annie Hall.) Spacek was great too but I can’t support her NY critics supporting win, as she was definitely a co-lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have replaced Anne Bancroft with Liza Minelli in New York, New York and Jane Fonda with Simone Signoret in Madame Rosa.

I would have replaced Richard Burton with Robert De Niro in New York, New York and Richared Dreyfuss with Art Carney in The Late Show.

I would have replaced Alec Guiness with Sterling Hayden in 1900.

I would have replaced Leslie Browne with Ann Wedgeworth in Handle With Care.

I would have replaced George Lucas with Martin Scorsese for New York, New York.

I would have replaced Star Wars with New York, New York.

I would have voted for Annie Hall for the big 4 categories, the 3 it won plus Woody Allen for Best Actor. Agreed with 5 of the 6 major categories that year! (Robards and Redgrave were deserving).

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have replaced Bancroft and MacLaine (a Fox film) and replaced them with Duvall and Spacek (also a Fox film).

Back in 1978 I found The Turning Point to be a mildly entertaining soap opera flick but having rewatched it last year for the first time in 40 years must admit I found it more clunky than I recalled. Its an OK entertainment piece but had no places for any type of awards consideration.

Fox did not promote 3 Women for awards consideration. They treated the film like it was The Sound of Music at Cannes in May 1977 but when the film died at the box office the same month in the U.S. they just forgot about it.

Though 3 Women was received pretty well at the time (it had its share of decorators) it’s stature has only continued to grow over the last 42 years.

Spacek’s win of the New York Film Critics award in the supporting category was in part a make-up for missing out for Carrie. She gave a performance in 3 Women that is worthy of a win but really it was more of a make-up award. When the critics were doing their voting on hearing the results of the supporting actress win one critic said ‘She’ll be surprised to learn she was playing a supporting role’. How right they were.

Fonda & Keaton were excellent nominees and Keaton and very deserving winner (as she would also have been for Looking for Mr. Goodbar). Fonda would also have made an excellent winner. I also watched Julia again for the first time in years last year and its held up beautifully – such a shame is largely forgotten now.

Loved Mason and The Goodbye Girl at the time of its release but a recent watching (my first since 1977/78) of The Goodbye Girl revealed that it, along with Mason & Dreyfuss’ performance have not aged well. I’ll stick to my initial first viewing reactions.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved The Turning Point, unfortunately it was never winning big. Is it the first film to go home empty-handed?

It held the record for most nominations without a win for a long time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

It held the record for most nominations without a win for a long time.

Still does at 0-for-11, though that distinction is now shared with THE COLOR PURPLE.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have replaced Bancroft and MacLaine (a Fox film) and replaced them with Duvall and Spacek (also a Fox film).

Back in 1978 I found The Turning Point to be a mildly entertaining soap opera flick but having rewatched it last year for the first time in 40 years must admit I found it more clunky than I recalled. Its an OK entertainment piece but had no places for any type of awards consideration.

Fox did not promote 3 Women for awards consideration. They treated the film like it was The Sound of Music at Cannes in May 1977 but when the film died at the box office the same month in the U.S. they just forgot about it.

Though 3 Women was received pretty well at the time (it had its share of decorators) it’s stature has only continued to grow over the last 42 years.

Spacek’s win of the New York Film Critics award in the supporting category was in part a make-up for missing out for Carrie. She gave a performance in 3 Women that is worthy of a win but really it was more of a make-up award. When the critics were doing their voting on hearing the results of the supporting actress win one critic said ‘She’ll be surprised to learn she was playing a supporting role’. How right they were.

Fonda & Keaton were excellent nominees and Keaton and very deserving winner (as she would also have been for Looking for Mr. Goodbar). Fonda would also have made an excellent winner. I also watched Julia again for the first time in years last year and its held up beautifully – such a shame is largely forgotten now.

Loved Mason and The Goodbye Girl at the time of its release but a recent watching (my first since 1977/78) of The Goodbye Girl revealed that it, along with Mason & Dreyfuss’ performance have not aged well. I’ll stick to my initial first viewing reactions.

I damn near agree with all of your points. Esp the Fonda/Keaton props.

All of you are saying that Goodbar helped her, and I suppose it did with that Globe nod. That’s a film I haven’t rewatched purposely. Perhaps I should revisit it.
    The Turning point is one of those films that I’m glad they made, but seems not like a Best Picture film we’d see today.
    Star Wars….1977….

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure at all about Duvall. I remember she had a one hour show with fairy tale characters like the big bad wolf with Jeff Goldblum and Valerie Perrine. Can’t find it in her filmography.

It was called FAERIE TALE THEATRE, which she starred in and produced for years (I think it was an original HBO production), but that wasn’t until the early 80s.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It was called FAERIE TALE THEATRE, which she starred in and produced for years (I think it was an original HBO production), but that wasn’t until the early 80s.

Thank you! I absolutely loved them.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly would have given the big 4 to The Goodbye Girl.

Dreyfuss’s win for BA is one of the best ever in that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly would have given the big 4 to The Goodbye Girl.

Dreyfuss’s win for BA is one of the best ever in that category.

I love The Goodbye Girl. The performances, the humor, the music.

Tina Fey showed it on TCM once and said it was what she thought adulthood would be like. She’d move to NYC, live in a difficult housing situation and it would be hard but that is what adults do. She also said 1977 is her favorite Oscar year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.