Home Forums Movies 1978 Best Supporting Actress

1978 Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
keithw
Zooey the Dre..
Jason Travis
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Who was the front runner? Was Maggie Smith a surprise? 

It was probably an irresistible opportunity to make fun of themselves by voting for an inside Oscar view like that BUT I’d have thought Maureen Stapleton would have had overdue factor.

Anyone remember?  

Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

I think it was between Maureen Stapleton, Maggie Smith & Dyan Cannon.  Meryl Streep and Penelope Milford weren’t really a threat……..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Topics:

I think it was between Maureen Stapleton, Maggie Smith & Dyan Cannon.  Meryl Streep and Penelope Milford weren’t really a threat……..

Meryl Streep must have bee the terrifc ad beautiful young actress in a best picture winner and she had the NSFC Award. She couldn’t have been a filler. I’m not sure, but I somehow doubt it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

Streep was close,  I think. And remember her part may SEEM small, but it’s a 3 hour film. The scenes she’s in she nails. But I was happy Smith won- such a fun and witty performance, and great chemistry with Michael Caine.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Streep was a relative ‘unknown’ then, and what an impression she made! A wonderful, understated performance (remember those subtler days Meryl?)

Looking at that nomination list, it’s not so surprising Dame Maggie won. With Jane Fonda winning Lead for Coming Home, it’s behooves them to skip to Smith (I agree with Jason on her perf and win) and honour that wonderfully witty and poignant film.

My hunch is that Stapleton was marginally favoured for the win that year. They made things up to her a few years later and gave her the (deserved and worthy) win for Reds.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

Geraldine Page would have easily won this award. She won the BAFTA and she had the performance and overdue factor. I’m curious why she was placed in lead for Interiors. I don’t think it was ego because Page was regularly nominated in the supporting category.

Smith makes a delightful winner. She completely steals her film with her sly wit. I suspect Cannon was a bigger threat than most on here are giving her credit for. She won the Globe and Heaven Can Wait was a major player that year. Streep was also in the running for her subdued and radiant performance in the best picture winner. I’d imagine that the category was very close with most actresses as possible victors.

Stapleton won Los Angeles and New York and she can’t be overlooked. Her performance is very brief but she made a huge impact. Her scenes in the film are the most lively.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Army Of Me.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Army Of Me.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

First of all, I definitely support Maggie Smith’s win here. That film is a mess but her scenes with Michael Caine are a class act in comedic brilliance.

I do think Stapleton was in the race for sure as she saved INTERIORS from being completely maudlin. Geraldine Page may have been put in Lead to give Stapleton a chance but we all know that double nominees from the same film were more common back then.

Streep does a good job in DEER HUNTER but she would go on to prove herself in other films.

I barely even remember Milford or Cannon.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I saw Heaven Can Wait at a TCM festival with Dyan Cannon present. I didn’t really get the acclaim for her (she won the Golden Globe.) She was a bit funny I guess but nothing special.

I’d rank:

Smith
    Stapleton
    Streep
    Cannon
    Milford

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Karofsky
    Topics:

Geraldine Page

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

It wasn’t really a surprise but it wasn’t a shoo-in either. Dyan Cannon was the superstar in the 70s, people expected her to have a long and fruitful career (which obviously didn’t happen), that is why an oscar in 1978 wasn’t unexpected at all. Plus, her movie was incredibly popular. Still, Smith was always lingering in the background.

I think the love for Stapleton has grown over the years. In 1978, the movie was nominated but nobody really talked about it. It wasn’t your typical Allen movie; they appreciated it enough to nominate his effort to go in a different direction, but everything about it was just too arty for the 70s academy to award, including Stapelton. The critics went gaga of course, but the academy couldn’t be bothered.

So, I think it was between Cannon and Smith and I suppose it was close.

Streep wasn’t in the running and people are still surprised that Milford made it into the top 5. Her winning was certainly not happening, it was just residual love for the movie.

I personally nominate Smith, Cannon and Stapleton (who wins) and add Lansbury for Death on the Nile (so funny in a year full of funny performances) and Blakely for The Driver.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

I am glad that Maggie Smith won because people crap on California Suite the movie as a whole and Smith deserved the Oscar hands down. It is not the best movie, but Smith and Caine shine.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.