Home Forums Movies 1979 Best Supporting Actor

1979 Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
karls
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

For me, this has always been one of the weirdest lineups.

The nominees:

Melvyn Douglas, Being There(winner)

Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now

Fredric Forrest, The Rose

Justin Henry, Kramer vs. Kramer

Mickey Rooney, The Black Stallion

What would your pick be? I’d go with Duvall myself, followed by Forrest and Henry. Give me your answers and thoughts about this race and even talk about who should have been here instead.

Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

I would have chosen Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I think the Best Supporting Actor performance was actually Fredric Forrest in….Apocalypse Now.

Duvall’s part is surprisingly small. He has that famous speech but not much else to do.

Douglas did give a very nice dignified performance. I guess I’d have voted for him.

I guess the main person left out was Paul Dooley for Breaking Away. Ben Vereen is also pretty great in All That Jazz. The globes included Laurence Olivier for A Little Romance but I’ve never seen that.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by RobertPius.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by RobertPius.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

1. Duvall – Brilliant! Duvall was robbed as the film and his performance are legendary. He won the Golden Globe and BAFTA and should have been a slam dunk but I guess the film was too intense.

2. Forrest – He has a strong year with The Rose and Apocalypse Now. He won the National Society of Film Critics for both films and was considered for a few others.

3. Douglas – Legendary actor who had previously won this award and had a notable year with Being There and The Seduction of Joe Tynan. The former being a wonderfully satiric classic.

4. Henry – Solid work, but I wouldn’t have had him in the same conversation with the three actors above.

5. Rooney – The Black Stallion was a successful crowdpleaser and his nomination was the reward.

Honorable Mentions:
    James Woods, The Onion Field
    Paul Dooley, Breaking Away

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Army Of Me.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Army Of Me.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    karls
    Topics:

I like Ian Holm in Alien shouldve been included

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

That’s a good one. He’s excellent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Honestly, he would’ve been a great winner. Weaver, Scott, the screenplay, and the film all deserved nominations.

Interestingly enough, John Hurt was nominated for Supporting Actor at Bafta. The nomination makes sense, as he completely kills the chest burster scene (it’s easy to chalk that scene up to sexual effects, but it wouldn’t work without an actor who could truly convey the pain and terror of the moment), but Holm is brilliant all throughout the whole runtime.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

The part where they are talking to Holm’s severed head and he tells them I won’t lie to you about your chances but you have my sympathies (and then tries a slight android smile) is perfect.

Veronica Cartwright is great too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    karls
    Topics:

The part where they are talking to Holm’s severed head and he tells them I won’t lie to you about your chances but you have my sympathies (and then tries a slight android smile) is perfect.

Veronica Cartwright is great too.

And she shoulve been nominated too She’s awsome

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

Paul Dooley or James Woods should’ve taken Rooney’s spot. His work was pleasant but nowhere near awards-worthy. Dooley was rarely better or funnier than he was in Breaking Away, and Woods was brilliant in a completely against-type turn in The Onion Field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

The part where they are talking to Holm’s severed head and he tells them I won’t lie to you about your chances but you have my sympathies (and then tries a slight android smile) is perfect. Veronica Cartwright is great too.

Alien probably has the greatest horror cast of all time (if you count Aliens as horror then they’re tied).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

Not too sure what to think of these nominees. I can’t hardly remember Duvall in AN. The Rose is so dominated by Midler – I need to re-visit the film to properly evaluate Forrest. I didn’t care for Rooney in his film and I am not sure how much acting there was in Henry’s performance – I am very careful when it comes to children and professional acting.

That leaves Douglas who gave quite a lovely performance – a good pick out of a lackluster line-up. I prefer him in The Seducation of Joe Tynan that year though.

My picks:

01. Michael O’Keefe in The Great Santini

02. Melvyn Douglas in The Seduction of Joe Tynan

03. Jack Warden in … And Justice for All

04. Pat Hingle in Norma Rae

05. Beau Bridges in Norma Rae

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Karofsky
    Topics:

Robert Duvall

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

My personal choices:

1. Terry Jones, Life of Brian
    2. Denholm Eliott, Saint Jack
    3. Pat Hingle, When You Comin’ Back, Red Ryder?
    4. Mervyn Douglas, Being There
    5. Paul Dooley, Breaking Away

Was a very strong year for supporting actors. Also worthy were Robert Duvall (Apocalypse Now), Pat Hingle (Norma Rae), Beau Bridges (Norma Rae), Ron Leibman (Norma Rae), Frederic Forest (The Rose), Alan Bates (The Rose), Ned Beatty (Promises in the Dark), Michael Brandon (Promises in the Dark), Peter Firth (Red Ryder), Hal Linden (Red Ryder), Ian Holm (Alien), John Hurt (Alien), Jack Warden (Being There), Dennis Quaid (Breaking Away), Daniel Stern, Jackie Earl Haley (Breaking Away) . I know I’m forgetting others.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Aunt Peg.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Frederic Forrest in The Rose is my pick – whatever became of him? After One From the Heart I never really saw him in anything again…

Paul Dooley and Dennis Quaid in Breaking Away, Melvyn Douglas in The Seduction of Joe Tyanan, Frederic Forrset in Apocalypse Now – but I would still choose Frederic Forrest in The Rose (:

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.