Home Forums Movies 1984: Who came in second?

1984: Who came in second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
estrelas
arodfan
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Picture: Killing Fields
    Director: Roland Joffe
    Actor: Sam Waterson
    Actress: Judy Davis
    Supporting Actor: Ralph Richardson
    Supporting Actress: Maybe Page if she had the overdue narrative already. If not, Lahti was second

Last.fm: https://www.last.fm/es/user/Into_You

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I’ve noticed that we haven’t done one of these, so I’m going to give you my thoughts and you guys can add yours.

Best Picture: The Killing Fields

Best Director: Roland Joffe

Best Actor: Sam Waterston

Best Actress: Jessica Lange

Best Supporting Actor: Adolph Caesar

Best Supporting Actress: Christine Lahti

I agree with all these except as said above Page probably would have rode an overdue narrative to a win. Lahti in Swing Shift probably would have suffered because the film was such a flop and had so much behind the scenes drama.

Davis was a surprise nominee so I don’t think she figured into stuff. Yes she was the only non-previous winner but she got some bad reviews with people feeling she was miscast (too sophisticated and worldly for the naive character.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I think Tom Hulce and Jessica Lange were the Lead runner-ups. I think Davis being the runner-up is a valid opinion. A Passage to India had the most nominations alongside Amadeus and managed to win 2. Amadeus swept almost every award only losing Cinematography, Editing and Actor, wich lost to itself so Judy Davis being the runner up that year is very plausible. She also won the Boston Film Critics Society. I know that isn’t much but 1984 was a huge mess when it comes to Best Actress. Peggy Ashcroft even won some critics groups in Lead. So…

I also wouldn’t use the fact that Davis was a surprise nominee as an argument simply because back then surprise nominees had a much easier path to a win than nowadays.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by estrelas.

FYC Emmys:

THE CROWN

Jane Lapotaire (Drama Guest Actress)
    Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Josh O'Connor (Drama Supporting Actor)
    Olivia Colman (Drama Actress)
    Tobias Menzies (Drama Actor)
    Charles Dance (Drama Guest Actor)

KILLING EVE

Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress)
    Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Evgenia Dodina (Drama Guest Actress)
    Sean Delaney (Drama Guest Actor)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

You forget that Page’s film was also a big flop and hardly anyone saw it. She also didn’t hit any precursors which is a big burden. She got in because she was a veteran and besides, people probably didn’t realize she was overdue until the following year. Lahti, on the other hand, was a rising star that hit everything and was one of the biggest success stories in Hollywood as far as I’m concerned. When you think about it, Page might’ve even been in fourth due to everything going against her.

You might be right. Lahti was definitely a star making turn which would have been well deserved. I think at one point Goldie Hawn wanted Lahti’s role reduced since she feared she was stealing the movie. (which she did.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I doubt Tom Hulce was the runner-up because if the Academy was voting for Amadeus then they were voting for Abraham. Waterston was more likely due to the fact that people thought much more highly of his performance than Hulce’s which was regarded as frenetic and somewhat superficial. Also, if the voters were voting for The Killing Fields in that category they were voting for Sam Waterston.

I see it as a Killing Eve type of situation. Majority might prefer Abraham but Hulce also has a lot of support. Just like Jodie and Sandra, respectively. I know a lot of people who prefer Hulce to Abraham not to mention Hulce’s performance is extremely iconic. His laugh has became one of the most, if not THE MOST, memorable thing from the movie. I do think Sam Waterston had a lot of support so he definitely could’ve been the runner-up. But Tom was definitely in top3.

FYC Emmys:

THE CROWN

Jane Lapotaire (Drama Guest Actress)
    Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Josh O'Connor (Drama Supporting Actor)
    Olivia Colman (Drama Actress)
    Tobias Menzies (Drama Actor)
    Charles Dance (Drama Guest Actor)

KILLING EVE

Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress)
    Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Evgenia Dodina (Drama Guest Actress)
    Sean Delaney (Drama Guest Actor)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Leo Grant Logan
    Topics:

Best Picture – A Passage to India
    Best Director – David Lean
    Best Actor – Sam Waterston
    Best Actress – Judy Davis
    Best Supporting Actor – Adolph Caesar
    Best Supporting Actress – Christine Lahti

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I highly doubt A Passage to India came in second because it was rather controversial at the time due to its racist portrayals of Indians. Not to mention that they probably didn’t want David Lean to win for a third time and it lacked the passionate support that Killing Fields had. And, yes, Judy Davis was indeed miscast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Places in the Heart is an underrated film now imo. It sort of got a bad rep with Sally’s you like me speech.

I saw it on the big screen a few years ago and was very impressed with it: Powerful depiction of the evils of the KKK, touching story of survival and even out right exciting during the tornado sequence.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    m844
    Topics:

I think either “Places in the Heart” or “The Killing Fields” came in second. “Places in the Heart” had 2 above-the-line wins: Lead Actress and Original Screenplay wins. “The Killing Fields” had 3 Oscar wins: Supporting Actor, Cinematography, and Editing. “A Passage to India” was likely fourth and “A Soldier’s Story” was clearly last due to zero wins and no Director nomination. This was a really good year for movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

Picture: The Killing Fields
    Actress: Jessica Lange, Country
    Actor: Sam Waterston, The Killing Fields
    Supporting Actress: Christine Lahti, Swing Shift
    Supporting Actor: Pat Morita, The Karate Kid
    Director: Roland Joffe, The Killing Fields

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

Picture: The Killing Fields Actress: Jessica Lange, Country Actor: Sam Waterston, The Killing Fields Supporting Actress: Christine Lahti, Swing Shift Supporting Actor: Pat Morita, The Karate Kid Director: Roland Joffe, The Killing Fields

Pat Morita didn’t have a prayer as he was unknown and his film’s only nominee. Saying he came in second is absolutely ridiculous. Of the nominees, only Caesar stood a chance as his film was nominated for BP and he has a very showy role in it.(Not to mention he’s also absolutely incredible in it.) That said, no one was beating Ngor.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.