Home Forums Movies 1985 Best Supporting Actor

1985 Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
JayDF
Army Of Me
natedoggg
  • Profile picture
    Leo Grant Logan
    Topics:

A very strange year in this category. Don Ameche pulled off the win without any precursors, beating Klaus Maria Branduer who took home nearly every prize.

Then you also have Eric Roberts, whose only other nod was the Golden Globe. William Hickey, who earned a few critics nominations. And Robert Loggia, who also had zero precursors.

In the end, how did Ameche managed to pull it off?

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

A very strange year in this category. Don Ameche pulled off the win without any precursors, beating Klaus Maria Branduer who took home nearly every prize. Then you also have Eric Roberts, whose only other nod was the Golden Globe. William Hickey, who earned a few critics nominations. And Robert Loggia, who also had zero precursors. In the end, how did Ameche managed to pull it off?

Career award?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

The already mentioned career award. Plus no one is overwhelmingly a must vote for in this group. I like Hickey & Brandauer. Loggia is entertaining. Roberts is OK. Jack Gilford gave the best supporting performance from “Cocoon” IMO.

Also they may have gotten tired of checking off “Out of Africa” for everything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

Cocoon was the sixth highest grossing movie of that year and Ameche delivered a lively performance. I agree that he wasn’t the best supporting performance in the film but for some reason he was the actor singled out. Ameche was much better as the villain in Trading Places, a few years earlier. That film helped revive his film career and might have helped secure his career award. He also benefited from entering a race with a weak frontrunner. Klaus Maria Branduer, the frontrunner, was in the best picture winner but I don’t think he gave an undeniable performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

Nobody seemed to have cared about any of the performances or performer – that is the atmosphere that cultivates career awards, even though Don Ameche’s career wasn’t so brilliant that one needed to give him an Oscar for it. If there had been one, just one, performance that people cared about, Ameche wouldn’t have won.

I liked Brandauer very much; cannot really remember the rest or where they would be in my line-ups. I do not even bother to look it up; I think I had huge problems filling the slots.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I still get baffled by this win but it is certainly a case of giving an actor a career Oscar.

I also agree that Ameche wasn’t even the best of the men in that film. I agree Jack Gilford would’ve been a more logical choice or even Hume Cronyn.

Of these nominees, I do think Klaus Maria Brandauer should’ve won rather handily and this is even coming from
    someone who thinks OUT OF AFRICA was mainly a colossal bore.

John Gielgud won (I think) the NBR and Nat. Soc. awards for PLENTY and SHOOTING PARTY. From what I recall, he should’ve been up for the later.

Then you have Eric Stoltz who received a Globe nom for MASK.

It does seem like an incredibly weak year.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nate
    Topics:

Yeah, this is a puzzling category. Ameche didn’t appear to have any precursor attention but was in a big summer hit and probably had a lot of goodwill from Academy members, so I suspect that is what tipped the balance in what appeared to be an open category. Interestingly, two parts that later turned out to be Tony nominated for musical adaptations, Valentin in Kiss of the Spider Woman and Harpo in The Color Purple, weren’t nominated. I know Willard Pugh wasn’t a name at that point, but I suspect Raul Julia could have gotten in, although I see he was nominated in lead at the Globes, so, perhaps, especially the year after Amadeus, both were listed there. I’d also like to add Ian Holm to the possibilities from that year, but, like with Gielgud, he was probably in too many movies to get noticed, although that didn’t appear to stop Loggia for getting in for Jagged Edge over Prizzi’s Honor. And, just to make the comparison to this year, Ran managed to get some attention but none for its cast, so it’s interesting that in a year with Brazil and Ran middling movies like Jagged Edge and Twice in a Lifetime received acting nominations instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

I almost always have at least one Oscar nominee in an acting category of my personal choices. Not this year. My Personal nominees that year are…

Daniel Day-Lewis, My Beautiful Laundrette
    John Gielgud, The Shooting Party
    Jack Gilford, Cocoon
    Crispin Glover, Back To the Future
    Christopher Lloyd, Back To the Future*

Lloyd would be my top choice. I notice Day-Lewis here bc I don’t go by Academy eligibility which puts that film in 1986.

Yeah, this is a puzzling category. Ameche didn’t appear to have any precursor attention but was in a big summer hit and probably had a lot of goodwill from Academy members, so I suspect that is what tipped the balance in what appeared to be an open category. Interestingly, two parts that later turned out to be Tony nominated for musical adaptations, Valentin in Kiss of the Spider Woman and Harpo in The Color Purple, weren’t nominated. I know Willard Pugh wasn’t a name at that point, but I suspect Raul Julia could have gotten in, although I see he was nominated in lead at the Globes, so, perhaps, especially the year after Amadeus, both were listed there. I’d also like to add Ian Holm to the possibilities from that year, but, like with Gielgud, he was probably in too many movies to get noticed, although that didn’t appear to stop Loggia for getting in for Jagged Edge over Prizzi’s Honor. And, just to make the comparison to this year, Ran managed to get some attention but none for its cast, so it’s interesting that in a year with Brazil and Ran middling movies like Jagged Edge and Twice in a Lifetime received acting nominations instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Jeff Daniels in The Purple Rose Of Cairo, Michel Galabru in Subway, John Gielgud in Plenty (and The Shooting Party), William Hickey in Prizzi’s Honor, and John Lone in Year Of the Dragon were my top five. Eric Roberts belonged in Best Actor imo. Didn’t much care the other nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Danny Glover should have been nominated here for The Color Purple, and he would have been the deserving winner if he were among the lineup. Mister is easily one of the most vile husbands in cinematic history, but Glover’s performance is magnetic to behold.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

Jeff Daniels is also among my nominees in 1985 but I put him as lead. He can go either way IMO.

Jeff Daniels in The Purple Rose Of Cairo, Michel Galabru in Subway, John Gielgud in Plenty (and The Shooting Party), William Hickey in Prizzi’s Honor, and John Lone in Year Of the Dragon were my top five. Eric Roberts belonged in Best Actor imo. Didn’t much care the other nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Don Ameche Cocoon – WINNER
    Klaus Maria Brandauer Out of Africa
    William Hickey Prizzi’s Honor
    Robert Loggia Jagged Edge
    Eric Roberts Runaway Train

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I read in another Gold Derby thread that Ameche was a surprise nominee then once he got nominated it became a career award (and the field as said was kind of weak.)

They really snubbed Mask. You’d think Eric Stoltz would have got in even if Cher was crowded out of the lead actress field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Why was Eric Stolz submitted in Supporting Actor for Mask?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Why was Eric Stolz submitted in Supporting Actor for Mask?

I would think so. He got a Globe nomination in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.