Home Forums Movies 1986 Best Actress

1986 Best Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
Sam_Malone
ENGLAND
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I realize Marlee Matlin was a pioneering win but I still would have loved to see Sigourney Weaver have taken it. What a gonzo gung ho performance. And the physicality she conveyed. I once passed her on the street and she was just a thin normal looking woman not the powerhouse she managed to look like in the film.

I also love Jane Fonda in The Morning After.

My preferences:

Weaver
    Fonda
    Spacek
    Matlin
    Turner

voting ranking was probably

Matlin
    Turner
    Weaver
    Spacek
    Fonda

Opinions?

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Matlin was for the novelty. Hollywood being completely unwilling to accommodate disabled performers into superstardom had no hesitation making her an Oscar night Cinderella.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

1. Weaver
    2. Turner
    3. Spacek
    4. Matlin
    5. Fonda

Honorable Mentions:
    Anne Bancroft for ‘night, Mother
    Melanie Griffith, Something Wild
    Bette Midler, Down and Out in Beverly Hills (maybe supporting)
    Chloe Webb, Sid and Nancy

Weaver’s role as Ellen Ripley is iconic and should have been rewarded with this win. Sadly, the nomination for her “action” film was her reward. She was never going to win over something as baity as Matlin. Turner was coming off a hot streak and two back-to-back Globes but I suspect her film was not strong enough to secure the win. Spacek was absolutely hysterical but she wasn’t winning a second for this particular film. Matlin was serviceable but I’ve never been a huge fan of this particular film. Fonda was lucky to have been nominated for such an uneven film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

1. Weaver
    2. Turner
    3. Spacek
    4. Matlin
    5. Fonda

Honorable Mentions:
    Anne Bancroft for ‘night, Mother
    Melanie Griffith, Something Wild
    Bette Midler, Down and Out in Beverly Hills (maybe supporting)
    Chloe Webb, Sid and Nancy

Weaver’s role as Ellen Ripley is iconic and should have been rewarded with this win. Sadly, the nomination for her “action” film was her reward. She was never going to win over something as baity as Matlin. Turner was coming off a hot streak and two back-to-back Globes but I suspect her film was not strong enough to secure the win. Spacek was absolutely hysterical but she wasn’t winning a second for this particular film. Matlin was serviceable but I’ve never been a huge fan of this particular film. Fonda was lucky to have been nominated for such an uneven film.

Those are some good runners-up you listed. Melanie Griffith is excellent in Something Wild as are Jeff Daniels and Ray Liotta. The whole film is great. Demme was a master.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    karls
    Topics:

Sigourney Waever- Aliens

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Weaver hands down, but I often wonder what would have happed had The Color Purple been released this year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Karofsky
    Topics:

Sigourney Weaver

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

I am not sure whether Matlin was considered the frontrunner or just a likely upset to Turner. After two golden globe wins and being quite popular with the public, people thought it was now time to give Turner her dues. It obviously didn’t happen. I always thought that Turner was more popular with the critics, the public than with her peers. It is too bad, she is brilliant in Peggy Sue and would have made a great winner. Not sure what to think of Matlin – for a woman with no speaking part, she was incredibly overacting.

I liked Weaver very much and I think her nomination was deserved; in fact, I also nominate her for the 1st and 3rd installment of Alien. But as others have pointed out, her nomination was the reward; nobody expected her to win the award.

Spacek I like, but the movie is very uneven and I am not sure whether she was the best actress from her film; her role was certainly the most flashy one. You won’t believe it, a win was considered not unlikely as she won the GG and the movie seemed to have been popular (they nominated Tess Harper for crying out loud), in retrospect this seems cringle-worthy.

Jane Fonda’s performance was very popular with critics and it was no surprise she got nominated. She was no contender for the win as the academy is very peculiar when it comes to a third trophy. They hand out two oscars with ease, but seem to be reluctant when it comes to the third one. Add to this, the genre of her movie and they had enough reason not to vote for her.

In my line-up you’ll find Turner and Weaver (1st and 2nd, respectively), then Anne Bancroft for night, Mother, Barbara Sukowa for Rosa Luxemberg and Dorothée Berryman for The Decline of the American Empire.

*Edit*: I like the mention of Bette Midler here, though her performance in Down and Out is probably my least favorite from her productive collaboration with Touchstone. I detest Chloe Webb in Sid & Nancy as much as everybody else love her; not my kind of performance. I must re-visit Something Wild; it has been a while.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vlaxym
    Topics:

Of the nominees Weaver, but real best acstress of 1986 is Melanie Griffith for Something Wild. Brilliant film and her performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

This definitely should’ve been Weaver’s Oscar and I would’ve been fine with Turner winning too.

Other than that, I would’ve loved to have seen Bancroft, Griffith, and Chloe Webb…oh and Spacek was more worthy for ‘NIGHT MOTHER than CRIMES.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

Jane Fonda’s performance was very popular with critics and it was no surprise she got nominated.

Yeah. So popular they didn’t give her any of their awards. So unsurprising that the Globes and BAFTAs left her off their lists.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I also like Farrah Fawcett in Extremeties from this year. It would have been cool to see her progress from Charlie’s Angels to an Oscar nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

Yeah. So popular they didn’t give her any of their awards. So unsurprising that the Globes and BAFTAs left her off their lists.

You could read the reviews she got; just an idea.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Farrah Fawcett was so deserving of a nomination for Extremeties.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I also like Farrah Fawcett in Extremeties from this year. It would have been cool to see her progress from Charlie’s Angels to an Oscar nominee.

Her film and TV performances during the 80s were truly remarkable.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.