Home Forums Movies 1986 Who came in second?

1986 Who came in second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Andrew Carden
RobertPius
Dennis El Mar
  • Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

This thread made me rewatch Peggy Sue Got Married, and what an underrated film and performance. The scenes when Peggy Sue goes to her childhood home made me tear up like a mother. I don’t know how Turner didn’t win every award for this, especially in such a weak field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I”m one of the only people who seems to like Matlin”s performance- she is an incredibly deserving winner in my opinion. One of the best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

Spacek won the Golden Globe for Crimes of the Heart, wouldn’t she have been second?

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Spacek won the Golden Globe for Crimes of the Heart, wouldn’t she have been second?

My thoughts are that either Spacek or Turner could have been second place. While I feel like the Academy’s respect for Spacek in nominating her so many times throughout the 80’s could have bumped her up to second after the Globes win, it’s true that there was a push for Turner to finally be rewarded after being snubbed for so many popular performances; it could have gone either way. I’m not sure what happened at the Globes – perhaps Turner had won for Romancing the Stone so recently that they wanted to spread the wealth reward Spacek again in the height of her popularity, although it’s simultaneously hard to imagine Crimes of the Heart getting her a second Oscar.

I do think that Matlin is a deserving winner; she gave a very special performance and I never understood all the vitriol over her win, although I do prefer Turner’s performance overall. I also never understood why so many people are adamant that Sigourney Weaver was robbed – her chances of winning were likely very slim and while I love her in Aliens, it’s not anything that I would consider worthy of a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Kathleen Turner won the Golden Globe two years in a row for Romancing the Stone and Prizzi’s Honor so she probably loss for Peggy Sue since it would have been the third in a row. I can remember Siskel and Ebert were heavily in favor of Turner and they were pretty influential back then.

I was sort of surprised Weaver was nominated since I didn’t think they nominated those kinds of movies. I’d vote for her now. That is a pretty gung-ho go for the gusto performance although I should watch Peggy Sue again. I don’t remember it too well.

ReplyCopy URL
    PreludeinCSharpMinor
    Participant
    Topics:

Jane Fonda was sensational in The Morning After…a Masterclass in acting. She would have been my vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture-Hannah and Her Sisters
    Director-Woody Allen, Hannah and Her Sisters
    Actor-Bob Hoskins, Mona Lisa
    Actress-Sissy Spacek, Crimes of the Heart
    Supporting Actor-Dennis Hopper, Hoosiers
    Supporting Actress-Piper Laurie, Children of a Lesser God

ReplyCopy URL
    Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

I still wonder why Barbara Hershey got snubbed. She was even better than Dianne Wiest.
    She deserved a nomination for Black Swan too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

I also never understood why so many people are adamant that Sigourney Weaver was robbed – her chances of winning were likely very slim and while I love her in Aliens, it’s not anything that I would consider worthy of a win.

I think you’ll find those who view Weaver as second are generally fan boys who were not around in 1986 to watch the awards unfold. Children of a Lesser God, Crimes of the Heart, Peggy Sue Got Married & The Morning After are now little more than footnotes on film and Oscar history.

Aliens have continued to be ever popular and that is the reason why I think people who feel Weaver was second. At the time her nomination was something of a surprise and she was not seen as winning. If was most definitely a three way race with Matlin/Spacek/Turner and Matlin having the edge. Though Weaver’s film was a much bigger hit than all the others combined its the sort of performance in the sort of film that the Academy simply doesn’t nominate. She snuck it due to a wide but weak field. Matlin, Spacek & Turner were the only shoe-ins. Weaver, due to the huge critical and commercial success of her film was seen as a possible filler like Lange (and less so Keaton) for Crimes of the Heart, Anne Bancroft for ‘night, mother, Julie Andrews for either Duet for One or That’s Life, Farrah Fawcett for Extremities who were all seen as having a chance of filling out the final two spots. Jane Fonda was the big surprise nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.