Home Forums Movies 1988 Best Supporting Actress

1988 Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
M: The Original
Gabe Guarin
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

To go along with the Lead Actress thread.

Odd year precursor wise. Only one of the Golden Globe nominees made it to the Oscars (Sigourney Weaver) and Mercedes Ruehl (Married to the Mob) got a lot of acclaim but didn’t get in at either.

Of the Oscar nominees I’d go

Geena Davis
    Joan Cusack
    Sigourney Weaver
    Frances McDormand
    Michelle Pfeiffer.

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Geena Davis didn’t have ANY precursor nominations before she won. Her win was a huge shock I imagine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Geena Davis didn’t have ANY precursor nominations before she won. Her win was a huge shock I imagine.

I saw her on Oprah a while ago and she said that she was watching in the limo on the way over and Siskel and Ebert said she was in fourth (or maybe it was fifth place) in chances to win.

Weaver was the heavy favorite. She’d won the Globe and plus up until then every time someone got lead and supporting nominations in the same year they won the supporting. It still is quite surprising that Davis beat her. (and Davis wasn’t even that respected of an actress at the time. She’d done sitcoms but The Fly was really her only other acclaimed movie to date and the little part in Tootsie.)

Kevin Kline was a huge shock too and Best Actress was hard to call until the end. Very suspenseful year. (plus the infamous Rob Lowe/Snow White duet.)

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by RobertPius.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by RobertPius.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I almost wonder if Geena Davis (much like Marisa Tomei 4 years later) would’ve received SAG noms/wins had that ceremony existed…which and therefore given more of an explanation to how this was pulled off.

I suppose a lack of consensus here helped too.

You could say vote splitting was a factor with Weaver but I still don’t understand how Joan Cusack was able to get a nomination for that performance, as funny as she was.

My ranking would’ve been:
    1-Pfeiffer
    2-Weaver
    3-McDormand
    4-Davis
    5-Cusack

Mercedes Ruehl and Diane Venora would’ve been welcomed here.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

God I love this year, every category outside of those Rain Man competed in seemed pretty volatile. Interesting that none of the actresses who won the critics trifecta were nominated here: Globe-nominated and NYFCC winner Diane Venora for Bird, NSFC winner Mercedes Ruehl in Married to the Mob, and LAFCA winner Genevieve Bujold in Dead Ringers (albeit maybe there was some category confusion?)

Weaver seems like a logical lock but in retrospect splitting wins like that seems a possible indication that it was a more open category than initially let on. I do wonder if Weaver’s heavy campaigning for Gorillas effected her here – that old Hollywood tale about how you couldn’t open your mailbox as an Academy voter without seeing Sigourney Weaver and a gorilla. My ranking:

1) Weaver
    2) Davis
    3) Cusack
    4) Pfeiffer
    5) McDormand

Yes I’ve heard that explanation about Sigourney and the gorilla in your mailbox as a possible vote loser.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

The Academy saw Liaisons and still denied both its actress contenders? Like did they want to specifically give Pfeiffer a Best Actress win down the line but immediately said the following year Tandy is too old to deny? And Close, why deny her again after humiliating her with Cher?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

I do wonder if Weaver’s heavy campaigning for Gorillas effected her here – that old Hollywood tale about how you couldn’t open your mailbox as an Academy voter without seeing Sigourney Weaver and a gorilla.

that’s quite tragic if it were true, losing what would’ve been a well-deserved oscar by over-campaigning for an inferior performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

that’s quite tragic if it were true, losing what would’ve been a well-deserved oscar by over-campaigning for an inferior performance

She’s not inferior in Gorillas in the Mist. She likely preferred to have a Best Actress win outright if given the option. Hence sending plush gorillas to voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Kevin Kline was a huge shock too

I think Martin Landau was the frontrunner that year since he had won the Golden Globe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

I think Martin Landau was the frontrunner that year since he had won the Golden Globe.

The Academy wasn’t beholden to the Globe’s choice of winners in that era.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

Davis as Muriel Pritchett was the heart of her film. The Accidental Tourist somewhat underperformed at the Academy Awards but it still received support in some key categories. Her performance was certainly showy, sympathetic and borderline leading. She benefited greatly from Weaver being nominated twice. I recently read an article about Melanie Griffith having to choose between the role of Muriel and Tess in Working Girl. They told her Muriel might win her an Oscar but Tess would make her a star.

Weaver was fun in Working Girl but I wouldn’t have rewarded her for such a lightweight performance. Pfeiffer was great but she was overshadowed by the two towering lead performances. Cusack was entertaining in her cameo performance but I would have nominated Mercedes Ruehl in her place. She was an absolute riot in Married to the Mob.

1. Geena Davis
    2. Michelle Pfeiffer
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Sigourney Weaver
    5. Joan Cusack

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I’m honestly surprised you guys haven’t brought up Lena Olin yet. She had tons of buzz for The Unbearable Lightness of Being and is fantastic in the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Olin got a globe nomiantion along with Diane Venora, Sonia Bragga, Barbara Hershey and Weaver.

They went for much darker arty films than the Oscars. I’ve never seen Olin, Venora or Bragga.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.