Home Forums Movies 1993 Best Supporting Actress race

1993 Best Supporting Actress race

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Emmyfan
FreemanGriffin
Marcus Snowde..
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Whose your favorite?

I just rewatched The Age of Innocence on TCM the other day. It gave me new respect for Winona Ryder’s work. It seemed sort of one note to me when I first saw it but seeing it again made me realize how complex the role was since despite her constant sweetness and cheerfulness she really inside has full knowledge of everything going on.

I haven’t seen The Piano in a long time but I remember while the movie didn’t really send me Paquin was a really amazing child actress.

This was one of those big Supporting Actress shocks that seemed to happen all the time in the 90s. Don’t know why Ryder was upset as the frontrunner. I guess they just didn’t really like the film (as evidenced by Michelle Pfeiffer being a surprise omission from the nominations.)

That said I also really love Emma Thompson in In the Name of the Father. Small role but she is so subtle and smart in it and then at the final courtroom confrontation she just lets loose. She’s riveting in the courtroom scene.

• This topic was modified 8 months ago by  RobertPius.
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have cast my imaginary vote for Emma Thompson for In The Name Of The Father. Anna Paquin was the winner for her co-lead role in The Piano. Winona Ryder was nominated for The Age Of Innocence, Rosie Perez for Fearless, and Holly Hunter was a double nominee that year and was nominated in this category for The Firm.

There were so many great female performances in Robert Altman’s Short Cuts. Lily Tomlin, Lili Taylor, Julianne Moore, Annie Ross, Madeleine Stowe… who am I forgetting? All of the women were fascinating; I am sure they all cancelled each other out! I very well may have nominated all 5 of these actresses!

Tsai Chin was memorable in The Joy Luck Club. Lili Taylor was great in Household Saints. I can’t remember their names but the actresses in supporting roles in Like Water For Chocolate were excellent. Valerie Lamercier was hilarious in The Visitors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

@freemangriffin We all know who you’re forgetting. She’s the lead of a film you won’t stop talking about.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the Oscar nominees, I’m partial to Perez for sure. Paquin and Ryder are impressive, Thompson is OK and Hunter is legit among the worst BSA nominees of the ’90s.

How I wish Darlene Cates (What’s Eating Gilbert Grape) and Joan Cusack (Addams Family Values) were in there.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Ryder
    2. Paquin
    3. Thompson
    4. Hunter
    5. Perez

A better lineup

1. Ryder
    2. Margolyes (The Age of Innocence)
    3. Paquin
    4. Miller (Carlito’s Way)
    5. Thompson

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes! Joan Cusack is brilliant in Adams Family Values. The scene at the end where she confesses to killing her parents because they bought her the wrong Barbie Doll (“THEY HAD TO GO!!!!!”) is just brilliant comic acting.

In Short Cuts Jennifer Jason Leigh, Stowe, and Andie MacDowell all either won or were runnersup for critic awards.

Holly Hunter sort of denounced her nomination for The Firm as a sign of poor roles for women. She said something like she got it because they knew her name and just double checked her. It is a useless nomination especially when there were other choices.

Rosie Perez is quite excellent in Fearless. I read her discussing how she received backlash because she had never done anything that dramatic before, people doubted she came up with the performance on her own and credited the director more than her. Seems like a dumb accusation. I mean all performances are collaborations. Tatum gets the same flack for Paper Moon. (that it was her father and director who told her what to do.) She still did it so I think they should judge what is on the screen.

An odd footnote is Winona Ryder was the first choice for Fearless. (the character is an Italian American woman in the book. They changed it for Perez.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the Oscar nominees, I’m partial to Perez for sure. Paquin and Ryder are impressive, Thompson is OK and Hunter is legit among the worst BSA nominees of the ’90s. How I wish Darlene Cates (What’s Eating Gilbert Grape) and Joan Cusack (Addams Family Values) were in there. For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

Yes! She deserved so much better. Ryder is my winner that year, btw.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved the subtlety of Winona Ryder in The Age Of Innocence.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have voted for Ryder. Funny side note, I read that on the red carpet, Roger Ebert was doing interviews and when he got to Holly Hunter, he told her that he and Gene Siskel named her nomination for The Firm as that year’s worst. Apparently she responded with something like “what a pleasant thing to say” as she walked away.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

ANNA PAQUIN for sure

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I am partial to either Perez or Ryder for the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    salmonpie
    Participant
    Topics:

Gong Li should have had an easy win for FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE.

I believe she won the New York Film Critics Circle Award.

One of the best supporting performances in the 90s. Unfortunately, foreign language film performances so rarely get recognised unless it’s a brand name, and Gong Li, while a big star in China and Asia at the time, was virtually unknown in America.

Also an amazing performance that no one talked about that year: Gua Ah-Leh, who played the mother of a gay son in Ang Lee’s The Wedding Banquet, nominated for Best Foreign Language Film in 1993. She also won the Golden Horse Award for this performance, the Oscars of the Chinese language film world.

These are my favorites:

Gong Li, Farewell My Concubine

Gua Ah-Leh, The Wedding Banquet

Anna Paquin, The Piano

Rosie Perez, Fearless

Madeleine Stowe, Short Cuts

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Gong Li should have ficking won.

I would have nominated her, Darlene Cates, Joan Cusack, Gua Ah-Lei and Rosie Perez. So many great performances that year but of course Academy went with mostly meh performances by name actresses.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Love this topic!

1993 was considered widely by many critics as the best year for modern contemporary cinema. There was a LOT to choose from, and sadly only 5 choices.

Holly Hunter’s nomination in The Firm was a throwaway for sure. It’s interesting, but she’s really not in it enough save quick snippets here and there. That was a name check.

Emma Thompson, while strong in In the Name of the Father, had gotten better reviews for Much Ado About Nothing– and pundits were puzzled as to why the academy decided to instead mark her for the former. Most likely because it was the Best Picture contender, and better marketed film.

Rosie Perez was great in Fearless. She also was robbed (in my opinion) of a Best Supporting Actress nomination the year before with her superb comic work in White Men Can’t Jump (1992). Even Ebert stated in his review that her performance was “something that should get a best supporting actress Oscar nomination.”

Because this was before the SAG awards (by one year), the Golden Globe award was often noted as the “go to” for the indicator of who would win. I loved Ryder, and she would have been my choice based on the nominees. I believe the chilly reception that The Age of Innocence got with Oscar nominations might have caused voters to instead check off Paquin (National Board of Review winner, tied with Perez) for the MUCH more marketed Piano. Pfeiffer aside, the movie missed nods in Best Picture, Director (Scorsese), and many other techs. Pundits think this is because The Remains of the Day, a later release, was in voters’ minds and qualified as the “period film” to make the cut. I actually love that movie too though!

My personal pick- def Joan Cusack in Addams Family Values. It’s so good, it’s on a another level. Too bad the movie was taken as just summer fluff back when it released (despite an Art Direction nomination). Now actors actually use Cusack’s final monologue for auditions.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlene Cates should have been nominated for What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.