Home Forums Movies 1994 Best Supporting Actress Race

1994 Best Supporting Actress Race

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
gabspss
zordon
Actriz
  • Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Do you think most of the nominees for Best Supporting Actress of 1994 were unexpected? With the exception of the obvious winner Dianne Wiest and Uma Thurman the other nominees weren’t even nominated for the Golden Globe, SAG or BAFTA while actresses like Jamie Lee Curtis and Robin Wright were nominated for both the Golden Globes and SAG Awards.

Academy  Award:
    Dianne Wiest    (Bullets over Broadway)  –  WINNER
    Rosemary Harris    (Tom & Viv)
    Helen Mirren    (The Madness of King George)
    Uma Thurman    (Pulp Fiction)
    Jennifer Tilly    (Bullets over Broadway)

Golden Globes nominees:
    Dianne Wiest  (Bullets Over Broadway)
    Kirsten Dunst    (Interview with the Vampire)
    Sophia Loren    (Prêt-à-Porter)
    Uma Thurman  (Pulp Fiction)
    Robin Wright    (Forrest Gump)

Note: Jamie Lee Curtis was nominated at the GG in the Lead actress category (comedy or musical).

SAG nominees:
    Dianne Wiest (Bullets Over Broadway)
    Jamie Lee Curtis    (True Lies)
    Sally Field    (Forrest Gump)
    Uma Thurman (Pulp Fiction)
    Robin Wright    (Forrest Gump)

BAFTA nominees:
    Kristin Scott Thomas    (Four Weddings and a Funeral)
    Charlotte Coleman    (Four Weddings and a Funeral)
    Sally Field    (Forrest Gump)
    Anjelica Huston    (Manhattan Murder Mystery)

Could you imagine a race like that these days where 3 of nominees for the Oscar didn’t get nominations for the GG, BAFTA or SAG awards? What happend that year in this category?

Profile picture
    Actriz
    Topics:

Thank the lord Jamie Lee Curtis didn’t get nominated here – that would have been massive category fraud. She rightfully won the lead Golden Globe.

Wright and Field are the only watchable parts of Forrest Gump. They should have been nominated.

Very surprising that BAFTA didn’t nominate Mirren, especially since at that time BAFTA was given out after the Oscars. Though they did have a hard-on for Four Weddings that year, so that makes it a little more understandable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

I might change my mind and  I do enjoy watching some clips of her work, but I just didn’t find Wiest to be that great in her role-  I thought she was doing much of an imitation of Norma Desmond and it rang false to me, the opposite of her work in Hannah And Her Sisters,  a much better performance and film. I remember liking Tilly more,  but  I can barely  remember her.  Thurman is fine, but not Oscar worthy.  Haven’t seen the others. 

Kirsten Dunst,  Claire Danes,  and Trini Alvado should have been nominated for Little Women.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    zordon
    Topics:

Actually Mirren was nominated to BAFTA, but for 1995 and in lead category. Lost to Thompson for Sense & Sensibility.

But I agree, it’s hard to imagine race like that today. It’s definitely easier to predict nominees these days, but it must have been much more fun to be awards fan when much more surprises were possible.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FilmGuy619
    Topics:

My lineup from this year probably would’ve been almost identical to the Globes and SAGs:

Kirsten Dunst, Interview With The Vampire
    Sally Field, Forrest Gump
    Uma Thurman, Pulp Fiction
    Jennifer Tilly, Bullets Over Broadway
    Dianne Wiest, Bullets Over Broadway

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Yes they were all shocks except for Wiest and Thurman. I even remember Jennifer Tilly talking about how she watched the announcement and was stunned that the first two announced (Harris and Mirren) were people no one was predicting.

Tilly herself was a long shot and she campaigned and took out her own ads. (the studio was just pushing Wiest and Tracey Ullman initially)   

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

I will say Kristen Scott Thomas is one of my favorite supporting actress performances from that year, so I’m glad she at least won something for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

This is a good line-up, not perfect, but there’s not a single bad nominee so yay. Thurman is perfect, but I have to be sincere and say she was very much helped by one of cinema’s best screenplay of all time. Tilly and Wiest are excellent, however altho Wiest won I gotta say Tilly was the standout in my opinion, especially in the scenes where she is acting bad and we realize how much of a great actress she is. Mirren did little in a good film and Harris did little in a TERRIBLE, ABSOLUTELY AWFUL film, but neither of them were bad so I’m not mad with their nominations.

My personal ranking:

1. Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction
    2. Jennifer Tilly in Bullets Over Broadway
    3. Dianne Wiest in Bullets Over Broadway
    4. Helen Mirren in The Madness of King George
    5. Rosemary Harris in Tom & Viv

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SDoesNotKnow504
    Topics:

Is Tom & Viv that bad? I don’t remember it being awful but it’s been about two decades since I’ve seen it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Is Tom & Viv that bad? I don’t remember it being awful but it’s been about two decades since I’ve seen it.

I thought it was absolutely terrible. I’m not either a “pauser” or a “panner”, but I paused this film 4 times and gave 1,5 stars on Letterboxd. I watched it today, by the way.

At the moment, I’m watching the nominees of 1994 and this is by far the only truly bad film I watched from this year. Blue Sky and The Client are actually pretty watchable. I still need to watch Nell, Little Women, Nobody’s Fool and Red.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    zordon
    Topics:

I thought Tom & Viv was not that bad, but I couldn’t stand Richardson in her over the top role. Rosemary Harris was great though, especially in the scene that they used as her Oscar clip.

But yes, that was a very peculiar year for this category. Field and Wright probably split votes, Dunst was too young (in a horror), Curtis lead (in an action film), Loren was never gonna happen. 4 weddings could not get a nod for Grant, so Scott Thomas did not stand a chance either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

I love British films especially period ones but I was underwhelmed by The Madness of King George considering how marvelous the cast were. I thought Mirren was kind of miscast but I need to watch it again. I’m stunned how either Wright or Field were not short listed considering how the Academy loved Forrest Gump. I love both Wiest and Tilly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Speaking of Tom & Viv, how bad was Willem Dafoe? I really hated him in this film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

1. Robin Wright Penn, Forrest Gump – Penn’s Jenny was the heart of that film.
    2. Dianne Wiest, Bullets over Broadway – Wiest was much better in Hannah and her Sisters, but she was still worthy in this film.
    3. Jennifer Tilly, Bullets over Broadway – Tilly was a surprise in this role. She was far more talented than she should have received more credit. Tilly was also very impressive in Bound a few years later.
    4. Uma Thurman, Pulp Fiction – Worthy of the nomination, but I would not have voted for her in this particular role.
    5. Sally Field, Forrest Gump – Her speeches are probably among the most quote-worthy in the film. I’m surprised both Penn and Field missed the final list, particularly after being nominated in so many precursor awards.

Honorable Mentions
    6. Kristin Scott Thomas, Four Weddings and a Funeral – Thomas made an impression and actually won the BAFTA for her charming performance.
    7. Kirsten Dunst, Interview with the Vampire – She was likely overlooked because her film was divisive, genre, and most certainly her age. Dunst had a strong year as she also shined in Little Women with Winona Ryder.

Jamie Lee Curtis is borderline lead in True Lies, and I think the category placement confusion led to her being overlooked. I would have included her on my personal list if there had been a general consensus that she belonged in supporting.

I actually like all 8 of the performances mentioned above, with any of them being worthy of a nomination, and in some cases, a win. It is not too surprising that there was such a wide variety of different nominees throughout the awards season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

IIRC, Dianne Wiest was the runaway favorite. I read New York Magazine’s capsule summary of BULLETS OVER BROADWAY & it deemed Wiest’s Helen Sinclair a “classic performance.” Consequently, I wasn’t surprised she swept the awards season.

During quarantine, I’ve read Jennifer Tilly did her own Oscar campaigning. I refer you to this YouTube installment: “Jennifer Tilly Created Her Own Oscar Buzz Around ‘Bullets Over Broadway’ Performance.”

Tilly phoned her publicist on nominations morning with the good news of her nomination. (Usually, it’s the publicist phoning a sleeping celebrity!)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.