Home Forums Movies 1996 Oscars

1996 Oscars

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
ArtIsntEasy
James_Breheney
RobertPius
  • Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

Can anyone explain how Apollo 13 swept the guilds (PGA + DGA + SAG) but still lost Picture and Director to Braveheart? I wasn’t following the Oscars back then so I don’t know if there was a huge backlash or something?

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I’ve always thought this was a fascinating Oscar season.

Back then, the Director snub seemed like a hard hurdle to recover from (unless you were DRIVING MISS DAISY). It was quite shocking when Ron Howard got snubbed along with Ang Lee for SENSE & SENSIBILITY…which were both considered the de facto frontrunners.

While I was still very young at the time, my instinct was that SENSE & SENSIBILITY would still pull it off because it had a Screenplay win on lock and it seemed like Kate Winslet had a strong chance of winning Supporting Actress (which ended up not happening).

BRAVEHEART almost seemed to sweep in like OUT OF AFRICA, gaining momentum with a Best Director win amidst weakening competition.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

I’ve always thought this was a fascinating Oscar season. Back then, the Director snub seemed like a hard hurdle to recover from (unless you were DRIVING MISS DAISY). It was quite shocking when Ron Howard got snubbed along with Ang Lee for SENSE & SENSIBILITY…which were both considered the de facto frontrunners. While I was still very young at the time, my instinct was that SENSE & SENSIBILITY would still pull it off because it had a Screenplay win on lock and it seemed like Kate Winslet had a strong chance of winning Supporting Actress (which ended up not happening). BRAVEHEART almost seemed to sweep in like OUT OF AFRICA, gaining momentum with a Best Director win amidst weakening competition.

And it seems like the Academy didn’t rally behind Ron Howard due to the Director snub to push Apollo 13 over the line in Picture a la Ben Affleck and Argo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I wonder if Ron Howard was still seen as just a sitcom star making movies. Penny Marshall had the same situation 5 years before with Awakenings being nominated for Best Picture but nothing for her as director.

TV and film used to be so separate.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I wonder if Ron Howard was still seen as just a sitcom star making movies. Penny Marshall had the same situation 5 years before with Awakenings being nominated for Best Picture but nothing for her as director.

TV and film used to be so separate.

There may have been some leftover sentiment, although he received good notices for Grand Theft Auto in ’77, and made several notable films before 96.

So here’s a film that felt like it gained momentum right after the director Globe win and goes on to win 5 Oscars.
    It’s a may release, and it does well over 200 million box office.
    This was suppose to launch Catherine McCormack as THE new ingenue. Didn’t work out that way.

TO ME Braveheart is an example of an 11th hour win that blew in like a tsunami.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Can anyone explain how Apollo 13 swept the guilds (PGA + DGA + SAG) but still lost Picture and Director to Braveheart? I wasn’t following the Oscars back then so I don’t know if there was a huge backlash or something?

I honestly think the 1996 Oscars would’ve played out exactly the same as they did even if Ron Howard had been nominated for Best Director.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.