Home Forums Movies 2001: Who Came In Second?

2001: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
Asgaroth
RobertPius
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: A tough one. We can definitely eliminate In The Bedroom and Gosford Park. Bedroom was a very small film that was respected, but had no momentum at the Oscars(Something that probably hurt Sissy Spacek a little bit). Gosford Park did win SAG, but films like it never win BP since they have a very aqquired taste that the majority of the Oscars probably didn’t cater to. Plus, the sound quality of the screeners was apparently terrible which definitely didn’t help it.  So it’s between Moulin Rouge and Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring. I think Moulin Rouge’s PGA win probably means it got more votes, but Lord Of The Rings was clearly very popular and it won the BAFTA as well.  I would actually say Rings got a little more votes, but both films most likely were hurt by the fact that both are spectacle films that were competing against a incredibly baity film that was right up Oscar’s alley. The Oscars clearly loved ABM and the controversy surrounding it didn’t hurt it at all. 

Best Director: Jackson- Altman picked up some sentimental votes, but Jackson’s directing achievement was widely respected and he did win BAFTA over Ron Howard. Neither Lynch nor Scott had much of a shot.

Best Actor:  Crowe, most certainly. If his image had been better at the time, he probably would have won, although a Washington win still would have been possible. I think Wilkinson was a very  distant third with Smith in 4th place and Penn in fifth. 

Best Supporting Actor: Mckellen- He lost out due to the fantasy nature of the character as well as Broadbent being in two major films that year. Kingsley was third, Hawke was fourth. and Ali was fifth.

Best Actress: Spacek, but it is possible that Kidman racked up more votes. I think that Spacek lost out due to the subtle nature of her performance, lack of passion for In The Bedroom, and the fact that they thought it was time to honor an African American woman in Best Actress. Dench was fourth and Renee was no doubt last. 

Best Supporting Actress: Mirren. She was a widely respected actress giving an excellent performance. That said, Connelly won in a strong majority due to the size of her role and the fact that the film was the Best Picture frontrunner.  I think that Smith was third and Winslet and Tomei tied for fourth and fifth  place. 

Best Original Screenplay: Momento for sure. GP won  due to wealth spreading. 

Best Adapted Screenplay: In The Bedroom, but ABM most likely won in a strong majority.  

Asgaroth
    Participant
    Topics:

BP: Fellowship of the Ring, no doubt. 13 nominations, including screenplay (something historically tough for fantasy or sci-fi pics), big scale epic, critically acclaimed, a cinematic achievement, movie of the year by AFI, etc. The only reason it didn’t win was because voters knew there were 2 sequels more to come and wanted to wait for the series to end before giving the big price. The sentiment of “we can’t reward a movie that has no ending” was it’s major obstacle.

BD: Jackson, for the same reasons. BTW, it baffles me how Luhrmann was snubbed. 

BA: Crowe. And he should have won. This is the performance he should have his oscar for. 

BAs: Kidman. I think she was indeed better in The Others that year, and she should have been nominated for that film. But Moulin Rouge! was bigger, and became her Oscar vehicle. I don’t think she should have won BTW, singing and dancing is not enough to deserve a winner status.

BSA: McKellen. The SAG winner, in the only BP nominated film in the category. As said, he lost only because of the fantasy nature of the movie.

BSAs: Helen Mirren, but Smith was showier.

BAS: In the Bedroom. 

BOS: Memento. 

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Broadbent was in everything that year. He was her father in Bridget Jones too. 

I’d say Moulin Rouge(it was getting so much positive word of mouth during the voting)

For actors I agree: Crowe, McKellen, Mirren and I think Nicole Kidman could gave been second. It was a big stretch for her (and she was great in The Others too, her best performance ever imo) and she also had a lot of sympathy vote going towards her because of the Cruise divorce and the way she handled it. Luhrmann gave her permission not to due press for the movie because he knew all the questions would be about the marriage. She was touched by this and agreed to promote the film anyway. (plus I’m sure she was proud of the work.)  

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think Spacek was dead 4th. πŸ™‚ Zellweger came 3rd and Kidman 2nd. πŸ™‚ Dench 5th. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, have to agree with Nick. Spacek definitely came in second.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Spacek was dead 4th. πŸ™‚ Zellweger came 3rd and Kidman 2nd. πŸ™‚ Dench 5th. 

Vince, Spacek almost won. Kidman won the Globe in “Musical” and Spacek the other so it’s possible that Nicole was third. Zellweger got great notices for her role so it may have been close with Dench, but I believe both of them brought up the rear.

But it definitely was a two-way race that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Okay. Maybe. Still Zellweger or Kidman should have won. Spacek was good, but her film and co-stars were so much better. “In the Bedroom” is such a good film and not boring at all. 

ReplyCopy URL
    MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t like In the Bedroom, but that scene when SPOILER the son gets shot was so unexpected and well done, I don’t think I’ll ever forget it.
    It was probably the tightest Best Actress race in this century, but my pick would have been Zellweger.
    Great year overall. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay. Maybe. Still Zellweger or Kidman should have won. Spacek was good, but her film and co-stars were so much better. “In the Bedroom” is such a good film and not boring at all. 

No Vince. Not, “maybe”.

This is one of those times where I miss whatshisname.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I suspect…

“Gosford Park”
    Robert Altman
    Russell Crowe
    Nicole Kidman (Spacek was probably close, though)
    Ian McKellen
    Helen Mirren

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

No doubt Spacek and Broadbent were second. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

[quote=”Vincelette”]

No Vince. Not, “maybe”.

This is one of those times where I miss whatshisname.

[/quote]

I think Kidman was 2nd. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: The Fellowship of the Ring – it had 13 nominations which is two more than the all-conquering Return of the King, and was considered more “respectable” than the divisive Moulin Rouge, even if the latter did win PGA.

Director: Jackson. I doubt Gosford Park had quite enough awards-season mojo to boost an overdue narrative for Altman, though he would have been quite deserving. 

Actor: Crowe, obviously

Actress: Spacek, for reasons mentioned above. 

Supporting Actor: McKellen 

Supporting Actress: Mirren, mostly due to her final scene towards the end (otherwise it’s a very non-baity performance)

Original Screenplay: Tough call as all the non-winners had limited support. Amélie had the most nominations but couldn’t even win Foreign Language Film (though this was when members had to prove they’d watched all five nominated films). I’m gonna go with Monster’s Ball as it probably had the most support from the dominant actor’s branch, and I’m not sure that even many of the tech branch members who nominated Amélie would have voted for it to win here. Memento had the “most original” thing going for it, but I can imagine many voters being turned off by it.

Adapted Screenplay: In the Bedroom, though it could have been Fellowship of the Ring.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Liberation
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Gosford Park
    Best Actor: Will Smith
    Best Actress: Sissy Spacek
    Best Supporting Actor: Ian McKellen
    Best Supporting Actress: Helen Mirren

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.