Home Forums Movies 2003: Who Came In Second?

2003: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Andrew Carden
Tyler [Last N..
Eddy Q
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Mystic River clearly- If they had honored it here, I think there’s a good chance they would have gone for The Aviator or maybe even Sideways in 2004. Anyway, MR was the only film that had a chance at beating the massive and unbeatable Lord Of The Rings, no mater how slim of a chance it was. Lost In Translation was most likely too unique for Oscar’s tastes, not to mention the film had enough detractors to keep it from winning. Neither Master & Commander nor Seabiscuit had the buzz.

Best Director: Eastwood- Jackson probably dominated the voting though. Hopefully, Coppola got some votes though.

Best Actor: You know, it’s odd that this race was so close at the time because I could easily see Penn being an easy lock in another year and in fact, that’s what I thought he was before I knew the backstory of this race. Murray probably was close, but comedic performances do have a tough time winning leading Oscars and on top of that, his performance is subtle. Penn’s work is highly dramatic and baity and he was most likely seen as more overdue and even more likable then Murray. Depp’s SAG win certainly is odd, but there’s no way the Academy would have given him the Oscar over these two contenders. His SAG win was most likely just due to star power. It’s crazy how off SAG was with Oscar in the early 2000’s. Neither of the other nominees had any chance whatsoever.

Best Supporting Actor: I’m tempted to say Baldwin, but Robbins seems like he was an easy lock- None of the other nominees were in films that were serious Oscar contenders and all of them had things that kept them from winning. I really don’t know, lol. Please chime in below!

Best Actress: Keaton, although Watts probably picked up some votes too- If Theron’s film hadn’t existed, I think Watts could have built up a narrative and won. I’d say both her and Keaton were about tied for second place, but Theron won in a strong majority, as she should have. Neither Castle-Hughes or Watts had any remote chance of picking up any large amount of votes.

Best Supporting Actress: Hmm, an interesting race- Renee was clearly out in front for the majority of the season, but once Cold Mountain was snubbed out of BP and there was a backlash against her performance, it seems that she was vulnerable from the view of some pundits at the time. I think Zellweger was never as vulnerable as was perceived at the time, but I bet that Shoreh and Patricia Clarkson picked up some respectable vote totals with Shoreh getting a little more , but Renee’s overdue status and the fact it was her third nomination in a row helped put her on top. And the Academy does love a scene stealer in this category. Neither Hunter nor Marcia Gay Harden had any chance of winning.

Best Original Screenplay: Lost In Translation wasn’t likely to win anything else besides Best Actor, so this was an easy consolation at the time. I’m not really sure who came in second. I’m guessing The Barbarian Invasions since it did win Best Foreign Language film after all, followed by Dirty Pretty Things, then Finding Memo, then In America.

Best Adapted Screenplay: MR- This seems to be the only minor upset that occurred this year, since many didn’t expect Lord Of The Rings to prevail for it’s writing since it is a fantasy film after all. I guess the Oscars went crazy rewarding the film’s for it’s impressive achievement. MR was most likely close though. I’m guessing American Splendor was third, followed by City Of God, and then Seabiscuit.

What do you guys think?

AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I would think Mystic River, Eastwood, Murray, Keaton, del Toro and Harden.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Mystic River
    Director: Weir
    Actor: Kingsley
    Actress: Keaton
    Sup. Actor: Watanabe
    Sup. Actress: Harden
    Original Screenplay: Finding Nemo
    Adapted Screenplay: Mystic River
    Animated Feature: Brother Bear
    Foreign Film: Twin Sisters
    Documentary: Capturing the Friedmans
    Short Film: Destino
    Original Score: Newman
    Original Song: “You Must Be My Ain True Love”
    Sound Editing: Pirates of the Caribbean
    Sound Mixing: Master and Commander
    Art Direction: Master and Commander
    Cinematography: Seale
    Makeup: Pirates of the Caribbean
    Costume Design: Master and Commander
    Film Editing: Master and Commander
    Visual Effects: Master and Commander

FYC: Ready Player One. Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Production Design, Director and BEST PICTURE (make it happen Oscars!!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Director: Eastwood
    Actor: Murray
    Actress: Watts
    Supporting Actor: Baldwin, but it’s a tricky one
    Supporting Actress: Aghdashloo
    Original Screenplay: In America
    Adapted Screenplay: Mystic River. Though I’ll never understand why ROTK winning here was an upset, considering its BP frontrunner status, its oft-quoted dialogue, and the fact that it was a way to honour the mammoth undertaking of adapting Tolkien’s trilogy as a whole.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Mystic River (easy).

Director: Eastwood (easy).

Actress: Keaton (don’t think 21 Grams would’ve been enough for Watts and Keaton’s film was huge too).

Actor: Murray (could’ve been Depp too, definitely not Law or Kingsley).

Sup Actor: Baldwin (not DelToro so soon, definitely not Honsou or Watanabe, and Baldwin might be huge and important now, but he was big enough to win back then).

Sup Actress: difficult, I don’t think anybody ever had momentum thanks to Zellweger ruling the whole thing simply because she HAD to win and her two previous nods made her overdue. Nobody cared that the movie was crap. The important thing was to get her that Oscar. So maybe Shoreh Agdashloo could’ve pulled off a win or Patricia Clarkson could’ve gotten momentum along the way, plus she had her Oscar talk the year before which definitely gave her this nomination too. People sometimes win like this, look at Jennifer Connelly. Don’t think Harden or Hunter had a shot, although this is a great category with excellent performances.

Original Screenplay: Finding Nemo (not that hard to imagine) In America (an overdue status for Jim Sheridan could’ve existed, such a great film).

Adapted Screenplay: Mystic River or in a well deserved shock (they happen…): American Splendor.

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Re: Aghdashloo, keep in mind there was a bit of a backlash against her during voting, on account of the aggressive and controversial anti-Zellweger campaign that DreamWorks waged for their House of Sand and Fog nominee. For that reason, I suspect Harden was runner-up.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Re: Aghdashloo, keep in mind there was a bit of a backlash against her during voting, on account of the aggressive and controversial anti-Zellweger campaign that DreamWorks waged for their House of Sand and Fog nominee. For that reason, I suspect Harden was runner-up.

Oh, I had no idea there was backlash about that- All I heard was Dreamworks campaigned for her well. What Anti- Zellweger narrative did they preach?

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Actor: Bill Murray
    Actress: Diane Keaton
    Supporting Actor: Alec Baldwin
    Supporting Actress: Shohreh Aghdashloo
    Director: Clint Eastwood
    Original Screenplay: Finding Nemo
    Adapted Screenplay: Mystic River
    Animated Film: Brother Bear
    Cinematography: Girl with a Pearl Earring
    Production Design: Master and Commander
    Costume Design: Master and Commander
    Original Score: Finding Nemo
    Documentary: Capturing the Friedmans
    Foreign Film: Twin Sisters

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.