Home Forums Movies 2008 Best Actress

2008 Best Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dennis El Mar
Juanald02
Lil Tony
  • M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

3/21: Meryl Streep, Doubt
    1/2: Angelina Jolie, Changeling (plus Jean Hersholt)
    1/2: Melissa Leo, Frozen River
    1/2: Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
    1/7: Kate Winslet, The Reader

The race was between two overdue Oscar perennials. Ultimately being a win for the actress without an Oscar. But I can’t help but wonder had Winslet won earlier, Iris for example, Streep could have won here and we would not be stuck with that Iron Lady bullshit for a 3rd win.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m almost certain Streep would have won here, SAG clearly thought there was no viable alternative to Streep after they already rewarded Winslet in Supporting. I’m struggling to see Jolie winning a second or Hathaway or Leo winning for indie films otherwise.

Winslet should have realistically won for Sense and Sensibility as she had that SAG+BAFTA combo. And as much as I love The Iron Lady, Streep was more deserving here and Viola winning in 2011 would have been justice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Juanald02
    Participant
    Topics:

Had Winslet won for an earlier nomination I believe that she still could’ve won in 2008, but in a much closer race. Winslet won every award for this performance, and the academy went out of their way to nominate her in lead for this performance instead of Revolutionary Road. The overdue factor certainly helped but without the urgency to finally reward her Streep could’ve become a better alternative to finally reward, but I believe the result would’ve been the same.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Winslet deservedly won but like you said, Streep would have won if Winslet wasn’t without an Oscar. Anyway, Winslet should have won at least two Oscars by now

Taron Egerton (Rocketman) for best actor. Charlize Theron looks great in Bombshell teaser

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.