Home Forums Movies 2011 Goldderby Rankings- Final Results

2011 Goldderby Rankings- Final Results

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
7 years ago
replies
views
users
pacinofan
Carbon Based ..
babypook
  • pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

You can stream “Weekend” on Netflix. That is how I saw it. That is probably how most Goldderby members saw it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

One of my favorite films of the year is RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.  The “human” actors including James Franco and Freida Pinto are forgettable (except John Lithgow, who brings a touching vulnerability to his performance), but Andy Serkis and the special effects giving expression and personality to the apes made this one of the best unexpected surprises of 2011.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw all the films on the Top 10 except “Certified Copy”.

Four of them were on my own Top Ten- “The Artist”, “A Separation”, “Moneyball” and “Poetry”.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

One of my favorite films of the year is RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.  The “human” actors including James Franco and Freida Pinto are forgettable (except John Lithgow, who brings a touching vulnerability to his performance), but Andy Serkis and the special effects giving expression and personality to the apes made this one of the best unexpected surprises of 2011.

You were not alone. I was suprised by the number of people who gave the film an A or A-.

I was not a fan of the film, you touched upon the stiff acting which was one of my issues, but the film had a lot of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Novic
    Topics:

And now for the complete Top 10 films of 2010.

The first number is the film’s grade and the second number is how many people Ranked it.

1. A Separation 4.568 (11)
    2. Poetry 4.222 (9)
    3. Weekend 4.175 (10)
    4. Certified Copy 4.1 (5)
    5. The Artist 4.071 (21)
    6. Moneyball 4.058 (26)
    7. Rango 4.05 (15)
    8. The Tree of Life 4.024 (21)
    9. Take Shelter 4 (14)
    10. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol 3.979 (12)

I have not seen Mission Impossible, but the other 9 are very good. We have such impeccable taste! Poetry, Take Shelter, A Separation, The Tree of Life, and Weekend are in my top 10. Rango would get an honorable mention from me, and The Artist, Certified Copy, and Moneyball I really enjoyed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Great job with this pacinofan. It was a lot of fun, and I thank you for doing it.

Was there anything in the rankings that was a big surprise to you?

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Keymaster
    Topics:

[quote=”Poubelle”]Thank you, pacinofan!  Great job as always.

It was your vote that put “Certified Copy” in the Top Ten.

Now I feel I have to see it immediately. Not comfortable with a film ranking so high and me not having seen it.[/quote]

The other four people must have really loved “Certified Copy” because I think I gave it a C or C+. 

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

It made it into the Top Five of the Rankings and one of the handful of people who saw it did not even care for it much. Damn math!

The grades were- C+, B+, A, A, A+

As numbers that would be- 2.75, 3.75, 4.5, 4.5, 5

Add those together and you get 20.5

Divide that by 5 and you get an average of 4.1

MATH!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

The work of a master filmmaker, CERTIFIED COPY might at first seem deceptively simple.

Were you deceived?

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty amazing that two of the top five films of the year were made by Iranian directors (Certified Copy though being a French film)
    More amazing since Iranian cinema, because of the reactionary theocratic government is not remotely overall as great as it was from 1990-2005 or so, when it was as good or better than any other in the world (something it might have passed on now to South Korea)

ReplyCopy URL
    helmetz
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The work of a master filmmaker, CERTIFIED COPY might at first seem deceptively simple.

Were you deceived?

Halfway through, I thought “Something is not right here.”  Then when it hit me, I verbalized an “Oh my God!”  So, yes, I’ll admit I was deceived.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Were you deceived?

“Certified Copy” never seemed simple to me. Quite the opposite, it felt to me like an unsatisfying intellectual puzzle. Maddeningly elusive. I couldn’t make a connection to it on a human level. It’s one of those films where I spent its duration thinking at the screen, trying to work it out, without ever being absorbed or moved by it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Poubelle”]The work of a master filmmaker, CERTIFIED COPY might at first seem deceptively simple.

Were you deceived?

“Certified Copy” never seemed simple to me. Quite the opposite, it felt to me like an unsatisfying intellectual puzzle. Maddeningly elusive. I couldn’t make a connection to it on a human level. It’s one of those films where I spent its duration thinking at the screen, trying to work it out, without ever being absorbed or moved by it.[/quote]

“Unsatisfying”?  Not for me.  Every shot, every cut, every line of dialog–seemed perfect and eminently satisfying.

I am not familiar with the Iranian film industry or its filmmakers* but, as SF pointed out previously, having two films (including A SEPARATION, which I have yet to see) in the top 10 films of the year is a remarkable achievement.

*I do have a copy of CLOSE-UP by Abbas Kiarostami, which I plan to watch soon–if it’s anywhere near as good as CERTIFIED COPY…  I am not sure whether Kiarostami now lives in Tehran, or Paris, which hopefully keeps him out of the reach of the Iranian theocrats.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

^
    For what it’s worth, I saw Certified Copy in 2010, so it wasnt on my radar. I checked back and gave it an A-. After over a year though, what I remember most is how luminous Juliette Binoche is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

^
    For what it’s worth, I saw Certified Copy in 2010, so it wasnt on my radar. I checked back and gave it an A-. After over a year though, what I remember most is how luminous Juliette Binoche is.

I love Juliette Binoche…  She is the reason why I, unlike so many in these threads, adore THE ENGLISH PATIENT and don’t begrudge its Best Picture win.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.