Home Forums Movies 2011 Goldderby Rankings- Final Results

2011 Goldderby Rankings- Final Results

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
Created
8 years ago
Last Reply
8 years ago
replies
views
users
pacinofan
Carbon Based ..
teri
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well you guys have made me want to watch this again. I’ll check it out and hunt it down. (Dont have Netflix)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I’ve seen several performances by Juliette Binoche, though ironically “The English Patient” isn’t one of them. I too think she’s a luminous actress with one of the most expressive faces currently in film. I think her performance in “Three Colors: Blue” is one of the best performances I’ve seen from the last 20 years.

In “Certified Copy,” though, by virtue of the story — what I could decipher of the story — it’s not clear who she’s really playing, so I’m not sure how to judge the quality of her performance. 

ReplyCopy URL
    helmetz
    Keymaster
    Topics:

While you’re watching “Certified Copy,” I can completely understand how you think it might be unclear whom she’s really playing.  But look back after you’ve seen the film, and you’ll see how Binoche carefully peels back the layers one-by-one so that, without you noticing, the character that we first met at the book reading is not the same person 2/3rds of the way through.  Personally I feel that it’s a very layered performance and completely deserving of the Best Actress award she snagged at Cannes.  Agreed on her amazing performance in “Three Colors: Blue,” but I feel that “Certified Copy” is right up there with it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The question I was left with was, Why is she not the same person 2/3 of the way through? What dramatic, thematic, or philosophical purpose does that serve? However good Binoche is — or could have been — it’s Kiarostami’s vision that is paramount in this film, and that’s where my disconnect lies. What is he trying to say about how real things are fake, or how fake things are real? Or how real fakeness is real enough anyway? The main characters felt more like theoretical constructs than people.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.