Home Forums Movies 2011 Los Angeles Film Critics awards

2011 Los Angeles Film Critics awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 245 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
7 years ago
replies
views
users
pacinofan
babypook
LKMOSCAR
  • Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

These are being voted on this Sunday. If last year is a guide, they should become known sometime before 3 PM PT/6 PM ET

I have a small item about them in the film blog –

http://www.goldderby.com/films/news/2260/will-%27the-artist%27-win-best-film-with-los-angeles-film-critics-assn..html

(I don’t think there has been a thread for this yet, at least in the last couple weeks – sorry if I duplicated someone else’s, and if so I’ll transfer this there).

simone
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m hopeful that their results will be different from both the NYFCC and NBR. Shaken things up a bit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Novic
    Topics:

Wouldn’t it be fun if J. Edgar won Best Picture! Make the whole race much more confusing and crazy!

It would be very strange for LAFC to line-up with NYFCC for 3 years running. I think they will definitely go for another film. The acting categories are difficult to predict since they usually go for at least one performance in a foreign language film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

To add to the item (which I wrote before today’s reviews), Turan’s review for TTSS was a 90.

Maybe that will be the surprise winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Wouldn’t it be fun if J. Edgar won Best Picture! Make the whole race much more confusing and crazy!

It would be very strange for LAFC to line-up with NYFCC for 3 years running. I think they will definitely go for another film. The acting categories are difficult to predict since they usually go for at least one performance in a foreign language film.

I loved their actor choices last year: Niels Arestrup, Kim Hye-ja, Jackie Weaver. and the year before Yolande Moreau. So, I’d say Yun Jeong-hi has a solid shot at the win, perhaps a runner-up for Lee Chang-dong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Edwin Drood
    Participant
    Topics:

While I can usually predict about 4/5 of the Oscar nominees (and 3/4 of the winners) my record with other groups is atrocious thus far (only got cinematography right for the NYFCC).  Nonetheless, here are my best guesses for LAFCA:

BEST PICTURE: The Descendants
    BEST DIRECTOR: Alexander Payne (The Descendants)
    BEST ACTOR: George Clooney (The Descendants)
    BEST ACTRESS: Tilda Swinton (We Need to Talk about Kevin)
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Carey Mulligan (Drive/Shame)
    BEST SCREENPLAY: The Artist (Michel Hazanavicius)
    BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Melancholia (Manuel Alberto Claro)

ReplyCopy URL
    Edwin Drood
    Participant
    Topics:

Another potential best actress from this group (if the film is eligible) could be Iranian actress Leila Hatami for A Separation

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

A Separation is eligible for LAFC and regular Oscar categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Jibril Gagale
    Topics:

The Descendants would be such a ‘blah’ pick for LA to make after all the shake-ups that have occurred with the NYFCC and NBR.  I would expect them to pick something out there like Melancholia or The Tree of Life (which reads like a quinessential LA pick to me).

ReplyCopy URL
    Edwin Drood
    Participant
    Topics:

Would want confirmation re: LAFC eligibility from a legitimate source; I was already aware that A Separation was Oscar eligible…

If it weren’t for the controversy I might have thought they’d go with von Trier (though I doubt they’d ever go for the film as BP); think it’s possible they could choose both Dunst and Gainsbourg for best actress.  Really doubt they’ll give anything to The Tree of Life given that Turan/LAT was amongst the weakest reviews the film received…

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I keep getting kicked off the site so I will quickly make my LA Critics predictions and hope I do not get timed out.

Best Picture: “The Artist”
    Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius- “The Artist”
    Best Actor: Jean Dujardin- “The Artist”
    Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst- “Melancholia”
    Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer- “Beginners”
    Best Supporting Actress: Vanessa Redgrave- “Coriolanus”
    Best Screenplay: “The Descendants”
    Best Animated Film: “The Adventures of Tintin”
    Best Foreign Film: “A Separation”
    Best Documentary: “The Cave of Forgetten Dreams”
    Best Cinematography: “The Tree of Life”
    Best Production Design: “Hugo” (I think they give that award.)
    Best Score: “The Artist”

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture
    The Artist
    RU: Hugo

Director
    Hazanavicius
    RU: Alexander Payne

Actor
    Dujardin
    RU: George

Actress
    Streep
    RU:Yun Jeong-hi

Supporting Actor
    Plummer
    RU: Brooks

Supporting Actress
    Redgrave
    RU: Spencer

Animated
    Tintin
    RU: stumped

Screenplay
    The Artist
    RU: The Descendants

Doc
    Under Fire
    RU: If a Tree Falls (ya right)

Foreign
    A Separation
    RU: Poetry

Cinematography
    Tree of Life
    RU: The Artist

ReplyCopy URL
    RJ
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions…

Picture: The Descendants (alt: Drive)
    Director: Alexander Payne, The Descendants (alt: Nicolas Winding Refn, Drive)
    Actor: George Clooney, The Descendants (alt: Jean Dujardin, The Artist)
    Actress: Yun Jeong-hie, Poetry (alt: Kirsten Dunst, Melancholia)
    Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners (alt: Robert Forster, The Descendants)
    Supporting Actress: Jessica Chastain, The Help, Take Shelter, and The Tree of Life (alt: Carey Mulligan, Drive and Shame)

The LAFCA tend to give Picture and Director to the same film (much more often than not), hence the parallel predictions. These critics clearly respond to Payne’s work, and the fact that 7 years have passed since Sideways seems like long enough that they wouldn’t mind once again giving him these prizes. If the LAFCA want to distinguish themselves, which for some reason has become the critics’ awards press narrative this year, then I’ll go out on a limb and guess that Drive, a film which really celebrates Los Angeles onscreen, may be the one that they line up behind.

They tend to choose a big-name actor in Lead Actor, and it doesn’t get much bigger than Clooney. Their Lead Actor picks are nearly always the frontrunner or one of the frontrunners, so Dujardin is in there as well. I was tempted to list Brad Pitt, but I’m guessing that his recent NYFCC win makes him a less desirable option than he otherwise would have been. 

Even though I listed Yun Jeong-hie as my pick, it seems a bit obvious for this group. Still, they respond to foreign films in one of the four categories, and her performance was one of the most critically hailed of the year’s foreign-language crop. I expect to see a foreign name come out of the woodwork and surprise, just to show us all how unpredictable this group can be when it wants to be.

Supporting Actor usually goes to an older, established actor, and/or a more comic-relief type performance. Plummer is the definition of veteran actor, plus he’s funny, so he’s the tentative frontrunner. Both of those apply to Forster as well. Albert Brooks is in this race, too.

Ultimately I think Jessica Chastain’s many performances will net her another win, even if the NYFCC already awarded her. If they go for younger actresses/lesser-known names in this category, it is generally when they’ve had abundant years — and that certainly holds true for Chastain. Carey Mulligan had a great one-two punch as well, so I think she poses a threat to win her first major U.S. film critics’ award. I also think Vanessa Redgrave could show up, possibly cited for Anonymous in addition to Coriolanus

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan_Fernand
    Participant
    Topics:

My Predictions

Best Picture: The Artist
    Best Director: Lars Von Trier, Melancholia
    Best Actor: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
    Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Melancholia
    Best Supporting Actor: Albert Brooks, Drive
    Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help
    Best Screenplay: The Descendants
    Best Cinematography: The Tree of Life
    Best Production Design: The Tree of Life
    Best Music Score: Drive
    Best Foreign-Language Film: A Separation
    Best Documentary/Non-Fiction Film: Pina
    Best Animation: Rango

ReplyCopy URL
    Jibril Gagale
    Topics:

Predictions

Best Picture: The Artist (Runner-Up: The Descendants)
    Best Director: Michel Hazavanicius, The Artist (Runner-Up: Lars von Trier, Melancholia)
    Best Actor: Brad Pitt, Moneyball (Runner-Up: Jean Dujardin, The Artist)
    Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Melancholia (Runner-Up: Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
    Best Supporting Actor: Albert Brooks, Drive (Runner-Up: Christopher Plummer, Beginners)
    Best Supporting Actress: Berenice Bejo, The Artist (Runner-Up: Jessica Chastain; Coriolanus, The Help, Take Shelter and The Tree of Life)
    Best Screenplay: A Separation (Runner-Up: The Artist)
    Best Cinematography: The Tree of Life (Runner-Up: The Arist)
    Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation (Runner-Up: Poetry)
    Best Documentary/Non-Fictuion Film: Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Runner-Up: Buck)
    Best Animated Feature: Rango (Runner-Up: The Adventures of Tintin)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.