Home Forums Movies 2015 Oscar for Best Costume Design

2015 Oscar for Best Costume Design

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Eddy Q
JOHN
babypook
  • Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

^ I think The Danish Girl is the “Anna Karenina” of this lineup actually. Its costumes are more show-offy than Carol’s and, unlike Cinderella, it’s supported by acting and production design noms (even Dante Ferretti couldn’t get in this year for Cinderella). The Danish Girl’s costume design has all the necessary ingredients to win. I’m surprised it’s not the runaway favourite according to experts.

I’d be really interested to know what Cate Blanchett will vote for in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Stardust
    Topics:

Between Cinderella and Danish Girl. Cinderella’s is a great costume design achievement. Cinderella’s sumptuous costumes/visuals are the film, and the film was a big, female-led BO success, so i’d be shocked if it doesn’t win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JOHN
    Topics:

I don’t understand why they always give this award to period films. They need to start making bold decisions. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Mladen Vukcevic
    Topics:

I just realized that Mad Max is in contention. I will not comment on that. As for the win, well, that dress Lily James wore deserves a place in some museum. I have never seen dress moving s flawlessly. Absolutely amazing. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JOHN
    Topics:

[quote=”Toussaint”]

I don’t understand why they always give this award to period films. They need to start making bold decisions. 

So I guess you are suggesting that they should give this for Mad Max and those incredibly forgettable ‘costumes’ over Cinderella’s brilliant ones? 🙂 Sandy should win this category, period.
    [/quote]

I find the costumes in Cinderella more forgettable than Mad Max. I hope Sandy Powell wins for Carol and not for Cinderella.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KyleBailey
    Topics:

Yeah the Mad Max vote here just seems like members checked off as many boxes as they could for it. They’re fine but not something to throw awards at. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JOHN
    Topics:

Yeah the Mad Max vote here just seems like members checked off as many boxes as they could for it. They’re fine but not something to throw awards at. 

Well, it won the critics choice for Best Costume. I believe it is in the top 3, and could pull an upset. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kvothe_snow
    Topics:

Mad Max also got a nod from BAFTA for costume. The only single movie that is not a period film.

I realize many people here do not know how to handle Fury Road. It’s the first time that an action flick with hellish costumes from, literally, scraps gets nominated…and you all act surprised. If you watch it again, the costumes are actually very detailed. They dressed up an entirely made up civilization – with each character having unique personalities.

Fury Road sticks out like a sore thumb from the bunch of nominees and that is why it WILL/SHOULD win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Mad Max also got a nod from BAFTA for costume. The only single movie that is not a period film.

I realize many people here do not know how to handle Fury Road. It’s the first time that an action flick with hellish costumes from, literally, scraps gets nominated…and you all act surprised. If you watch it again, the costumes are actually very detailed. They dressed up an entirely made up civilization – with each character having unique personalities.

Fury Road sticks out like a sore thumb from the bunch of nominees and that is why it WILL/SHOULD win. 

I hope so, and for the reasons you cite.

C’mon Academy! Havent you rewarded enough period pieces? (although, this one is futuristic)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mladen Vukcevic
    Topics:

Honestly, I think this was classic checking the box without some proper realization. And the fact that it happens across the board (for cry loud sake, CCA awarded Tom Hardy for grunting) doesn’t mean it is justifiable. I think those costumes were rather forgettable and not in any way outstandingly done. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Filmatelist
    Topics:

In the last 30 years, a fantasy movie (or one with overt supernatural elements) has won this category 3 times, so that doesn’t eliminate MM:FR or Cinderella from consideration, but it’s outside the typical–and in each of those 3 cases (Alice in Wonderland, LOTR: ROTK, BS’s Dracula), they were multiple Oscar-winners, which also doesn’t bode too well for Cinderella, pageant finery notwithstanding.

And nowhere in Academy history has there been a Best Costume winner with as few women as are in The Revenant.  Costume winners are typically memorable for what the ladies are wearing, not the dudes.

So that leaves Carol and Danish–the latter which has more fancy designs, the former which has more support across the branches (as well as the notoriety of being the most conspecuous Picture snub) and some very stylish clothes, too.  However, the last film to take place in the 50’s to win this award was The Last Emperor (the Academy usually likes its period films older), so it’s really a toss-up between these two, I think.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

BS’s Dracula. Lololol

People shouldn’t get their hopes up for Mad Max here. The Academy, and to be honest audiences in general, have a very fixed idea of what constitutes a “costume film” and won’t think about Mad Max that way unless they are paying a lot of attention, which they often don’t. It’s ironic that even some of the film’s most ardent fans might be confused by its nomination here. Same applies to The Revenant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I think that we should not overthink this one.  Imagine seeing the ballot for Best Costumes: Carol, Cinderella, The Danish Girl, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant.  Which one immediately makes you think “costumes”?  When you have a ballot with a bunch of categories in front of you, you are not going to search for Google Images of the nominated works or anything like that, you are going to make sure that you read the nominees and then tick so that you can move on to the next category.

I remember a couple of years ago when I talked myself out of predicting The Great Gatsby for Best Costumes.  I wondered if they were really going to give this movie two Oscars when they did not even like it.  After all, they did not nominate it for makeup or song and 12 Years a Slave actually won the guild award and was not expected to win much else.  But of course The Great Gatsby won costumes because just mentioning that title screams big sets and fancy costumes.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.