Home Forums Movies 2015 Oscar for Best Costume Design

2015 Oscar for Best Costume Design

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Eddy Q
JOHN
babypook
  • Profile picture
    KyleBailey
    Topics:

[quote=”KyleBailey”]

Yeah the Mad Max vote here just seems like members checked off as many boxes as they could for it. They’re fine but not something to throw awards at. 

Well, it won the critics choice for Best Costume. I believe it is in the top 3, and could pull an upset. 
    [/quote]

This is assuming the unfactual that a voter actually crosses over to the academy  

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JOHN
    Topics:

[quote=”LemuelBenedictNon”]

Mad Max also got a nod from BAFTA for costume. The only single movie that is not a period film.

I realize many people here do not know how to handle Fury Road. It’s the first time that an action flick with hellish costumes from, literally, scraps gets nominated…and you all act surprised. If you watch it again, the costumes are actually very detailed. They dressed up an entirely made up civilization – with each character having unique personalities.

Fury Road sticks out like a sore thumb from the bunch of nominees and that is why it WILL/SHOULD win. 

I hope so, and for the reasons you cite.

C’mon Academy! Havent you rewarded enough period pieces? (although, this one is futuristic)

[/quote]

Yes. And the costume design that has been awarded the most so far this awards season is Mad Max Fury Road.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    R13
    Topics:

I don’t  think Cinderella is winning Costume Design after loosing BAFTA and BFCA. BAFTA and BFCA have been really good at predicting the Costume Design winner. 

BFCA Costume Design winners 

2009- The Young Victoria- WON OSCAR 
    2010- Alice in Wonderland- WON OSCAR
    2011- The Artist- WON OSCAR
    2012- Anna Karenina- WON OSCAR
    2013- The Great Gatsby- WON OSCAR
    2014- The GrandBudapest Hotel- WON OSCAR
    2015- Mad Max Fury Road- TBC 

BAFTA Costume Design Winners 

2008- The Duchess- WON OSCAR 
    2009- The Young Victoria- WON OSCAR 
    2010- Alice in Wonderland- WON OSCAR
    2011- The Artist- WON OSCAR 
    2012- Anna Karenina- WON OSCAR 
    2013- The Great Gatsby- WON OSCAR
    2014- The GrandBudapest Hotel- WON OSCAR
    2015- Mad Max Fury Road- TBC 

BFCA Costume Design + BAFTA Costume Design = OSCAR for Best Costume Design.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

(And Critics’ Choice did not award costumes before that.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    R13
    Topics:

(And Critics’ Choice did not award costumes before that.)

The Oscar changed their voting system in 2009, which means that BAFTA and BFCA have been getting it right since then.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Even though I am predicting “Cinderella” at the moment, something to keep in mind is that the last film to win without having any additional nominations was “The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert” in 1995.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Even though I am predicting “Cinderella” at the moment, something to keep in mind is that the last film to win without having any additional nominations was “The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert” in 1995.

Actually it was Marie Antoinette in 2006/7, the Sofia Coppola film with Kirsten Dunst in the lead. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

The Academy usually go their own way here and I don’t think they’ll see Mad Max as a costume film. When you think costumes, you think of period piece or fantasy. So that leaves The Danish Girl, Carol, and Cinderella. Carol’s isn’t that showy so that leaves Cinderella and The Danish Girl. Either of those two will win, I think. I’m gonna guess The Danish Girl.

I was going with The Danish Girl for ages, but then I thought that these design categories often go to movies that created new worlds and environments. Of course they have to get nominated first (Avatar for instance didn’t have makeup or costume noms), but I’m thinking more of the original Star Wars. Yeah it was ages ago, but still, who calls Star Wars a “costume film”? Yet it still won because of the originality of the designs. I think the same can happen with Mad Max. The Danish Girl also has the disadvantage of only having a few people in the room at a time for most of the film (except for two brief party scenes). Costume winners tend to have whole crowds of people in lavish garb for much of the running time, such as The Great Gatsby and Anna Karenina. Cinderella fits this mould, but I’m wondering if enough voters are watching it or even thinking about it. It has a better shot than Mirror Mirror or Maleficent did, sure, but most of its adult appeal is dependent on Cate Blanchett as the wicked spetmother. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Damiansport1
    Topics:

Its really tough category to predict. Mad Max or Cinderella. I think only these 2 can win but which one

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jake
    Topics:

I believe Sandy Powell will win this. I don’t know for which movie yet but I lean towards “Carol” as it probably won’t win anywhere else.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AwardsConnect
    Topics:

Going with “The Revenant” here as one of the more eyebrow-raising wins of the evening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

^ Wow. Good luck with that. If that happens then The Revenant would probably even sweep up Production Design and Editing, and it would be The English Patient or Titanic all over again. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    R13
    Topics:

I still can’t find a film that didn’t win Costumes at the Oscars after winning; BFCA, BAFTA, CDGA and also being extremely strong for Production Design. Aside of that, Waner Bros did a one week tour during Oscar voting to promote the Costumes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1LD7BcJ2hs 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

I still can’t find a film that didn’t win Costumes at the Oscars after winning; BFCA, BAFTA, CDGA and also being extremely strong for Production Design. Aside of that, Waner Bros did a one week tour during Oscar voting to promote the Costumes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1LD7BcJ2hs 

What movie is this again?

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.