Home Forums Movies 2015 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF)

2015 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
AMG
CanadianFan
drenja
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

TRUTH First Reviews:

Brian Rafferty: There’s lotsa lily-gilding in Truth (so much swelling music) but it’s solid journalism procedural with a great perf by Blanchett

Gregory Ellwood: If Blanchett didn’t have Carol, she could have a nod for this. She is on fire in Truth.

Edward Douglas: Truth was so good and Cate Blanchett is even better than she was in Blue Jasmine for which she won an Oscar

The Hollywood Reporter: Cate Blanchett gives this dynamo of intelligence and doggedness a real human dimension that allows the drama to breathe; it’s another stellar performance that rates among her best

Variety: Blanchetts performance is forceful yet delicately shaded…Truth is more than a match for Spotlight in showcasing an ensemble that feels impeccably cast down to the smallest roles…Redford plays the veteran newsman with easy gravitas, inner strength and a gentle paternal twinkle

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

TRUMBO First Reviews:

Nikola Grozdanovic: A lovely ode to Hollywoods days of yesteryear, the creative spirit, and fighting the good fight. Terrific ensemble acting

Variety: Trumbo allows Supporting Actress Helen Mirren and the nobodies playing yesterday’s stars to overshadow Bryan Cranston and his fellow movie martyrs

The Hollywood Reporter: What makes the movie work are the lively performances, both from the supporting cast and from Cranston.

Kevin Polowy: Cranston won all the EMMYS for Breaking Bad but es finally got his first Oscar worthy film role: he kills it in Trumbo

Gregory Ellwood: Trumbo is good. First 2 acts lack spark. Things get going when Kirk Douglas and Otto Preminger show up in the 3rd act. Cranston is very good.

ReplyCopy URL
    drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

So i guess Cranston is in the game? Those all look like favourable reviews for the movie

ReplyCopy URL
    drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

So i guess Cranston is in the game? Those all look like favourable reviews for the movie

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Given how the Best Actor field is lacking in contendors, I guess I might have to move Cranston into my Top 10 just by default now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Cranston is likely to be nominated. His reviews haven’t been that great, especially from Variety and Indiewire (the latter described him as “hammy” for the film’s first half). The script has been much criticised as well. I was tentatively predicting Cranston beforehand but his chances are starting to look similar to Anthony Hopkins in Hitchcock, another film-related biopic which didn’t really take off, so I’ve switched to Michael Caine in Youth for now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mina Nagy
    Participant
    Topics:

Is it me..or does TIFF suck this year?
    Why am I hearing zero Best Pic buzz for any film?
    So far seems Steve J, Spotlight are the only 2 films with real buzz + Beasts.
    So it seems Joy and the revenant are the only real bets for BP. If they suck then the Oscar will probably go to spotlight or as i expect: steve jobs (unless Joy is amazing and DOR finally wins and sweeps)

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Cranston is likely to be nominated. His reviews haven’t been that great, especially from Variety and Indiewire (the latter described him as “hammy” for the film’s first half). The script has been much criticised as well. I was tentatively predicting Cranston beforehand but his chances are starting to look similar to Anthony Hopkins in Hitchcock, another film-related biopic which didn’t really take off, so I’ve switched to Michael Caine in Youth for now.

Hitchcock was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the trailer. It’s amazing how barren the Best Actor field is this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    DingbatHauteur
    Topics:

Maggie Smith got amazing reviews. Here’s to another Oscar nomination! Hoping for a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

Variety was not prasing Depp either. However they are prasing Radmaybe, while his reviews are mostly mixed. I dont think that what Variety says is of much importance, plus i dont see that many contenders. This seems like one sesason that will be hard to predict and not because there will be to many outstanding films. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Redmayne is getting better reviews from people at Toronto than he did at Venice to be fair from what I’m seeing.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

THE PROGRAM First Reviews

Variety: Rare is the prestige biopic that feels altogether too short, but at 102 soundly paced minutes, The Program retires with half a hill left to climb. In the films richest performance, Jesse Plemons beautifully teases out the ambiguities and potential hypocrisies of Landis’ own moral position.

Matt Singer: A lean drama of the epic Lance Armstrong scandal. Very watchable; wouldn’t have minded more. Foster’s really good.

Gregory Ellwood: The Program has a bunch of holes but is really entertaining until the end where it feels as though some of the drama is missing

Tim Robey, The Telegraph: Ben Foster is eerily brilliant as Lance Armstrong in Stephen Frear’s otherwise unfocused doping drama

David Walsh: Don’t know how Lance Armstrong will react to Ben Foster’s portrayal of him but wouldn’t be surprised if he thought it was fair. It is also brilliant

The Hollywood Reporter: [the] egomaniacal Lycra-clad cheat played with a tiresome lack of nuance by Ben Foster. This is unlikely to pull ahead of the autumn’s peloton of wannabe awards contenders.

The Independent: A character actor best known for The Messenger and Rampart, [Foster] lacks the charisma necessary for the role. He plays Armstrong as the stern bully, which the testimony of his teammates highlight that he was. But he is a more complicated personality and in the scenes where Armstrong is creating Livestrong, his cancer charity, there is none of the charm that the cyclist showed for the cameras.

Time Out: Foster does great work with rich ingredients, making the most of every eerie smirk and glance. The Program offers no new revelations and Armstrong remains elusive – but it has an unsettling air that carries s through its more pedestrian patches.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Seems like every new movie is flopping and disappointing. Crazy!

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

FREEHELD First Reviews:

Clayton Davies: Sad to say Freeheld is just fluff. Moore is good and Page tries her damn hardest but that script and direction do them no favours.

Sam Adams: At a film festival that’s screening TV shows, too many movies that look like so-so TV.

Benjamin Lee:’The only way to explain Freeheld’s awfulness is that Moore and Page have pulled a Ferrell and Wiig, and made a secret Lifetime movie

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

HIGH RISE First Reviews:

Eric Kohn: Ben Wheatley’s High Rise may be based on a JD Ballard novel, but it’s basically Snowpiercer in a condo

Jordan Hoffman: High Rise reminded me of my youth. I haven’t seen a movie as *relentless* as High Rise since Emir Kusturica’s UNDERGROUND

Adam B Vary: I can’t think of a film this elaborate, with a cast this impressive, that is so deeply weird, alienating and anarchic

Steven Weintraub: High Rise was a pretty crazy ride. Some are going to love it. Most will not. Need to see it again

David Jenkins: If you loved Maps To The Stars… Dazzling tedium, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

Ben Nicholson: High Rise is a distinctive adaptation by Wheatley & Jump. Stylish, blackly comic delirium abounds – but it doesn’t quite nail it

Noel Murray: High Rise is bold and visually splendid, but its mostly made me think about what miracles Snowpiercer & Mad Max: Fury Road are

Jake Howell: Eh, High Rise. Don’t mistake provocative for incoherent/juvenile/over-directed. I liked parts of it

Tom Huddleston: High Rise…what to say? Messy, beautiful, frustrating. All a bit much, really. But some blinding moments

Joshua Rothkopf: High Rise is a Pink Floyd Hipgnosis album cover come to life. It’s Moogy & faithful, and also a little ‘shocking’ and monotonous 

Clinton McClung: Ben Wheatley’s High-Rise just may be the new A Clockwork Orange

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.