Home Forums Movies 2016 Makeup and Hairstyling Finalists

2016 Makeup and Hairstyling Finalists

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
GusCruz
Bee
  • Profile picture
    AwardsConnect
    Topics:

It’s a odd bunch to say the least. I suspect Florence Foster Jenkins – which is very much on the verge of garnering half a dozen or more nominations in total – prevails rather handily.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

The hair and makeup branch is one of the few that doesn’t care where the film is in the picture race and just nominates what they think is the best achievements in hair and makeup. They usually look for one amazing piece rather than good throughout, and they tend not to reward gore.

I can’t see ‘Deadpool’ missing. If ‘A Man Called Ove’ had enough fans to make the shortlist there must be something worthy there. The bakeoff process will bring attention to that so that’ll be in too.

Nothing really stands out from ‘Hail, Caesar!’ or ‘The Dressmaker’. I could see any of the other three getting the last spot, but I’d lean towards Star Trek.

1.“Deadpool”
    2.“A Man Called Ove”
    3.“Star Trek Beyond”
    —–
    “Florence Foster Jenkins”
    “Suicide Squad”
    —–
    “The Dressmaker”
    “Hail, Caesar!”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Roney Moore
    Topics:

Hmm, the branch snubbed Theory of Everything after it made the shortlist and I don’t remember there being a memorable makeup work in FFJ untill later in the film and even then it wasn’t that impressive .Maybe it coasts along because of Merly’s and other women’s ”hairstyling” but doubtful.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Filmatelist
    Topics:

If any of these three get nominated without the other two, their win is a slam dunk: FFJ, Caesar, STB.

Similarly, I don’t see these two ever winning under any circumstance: Deadpool, Suicide.  21st century superhero films have a terrible track record at winning anything and that’s when they’re films the Academy *likes*.  These two are too far outside the average member’s sensibilities.

I despised OVE so hope to God it doesn’t get in but it would be a lot of fun to see THE DRESSMAKER appear if only to give it some additional visibility.  I’d say advantage is to TREK because its history (it’s the only category the franchise has won, for an even less distinguished effort than here) and it has the single most memorable example of the craft (Jaylah) among this shortlist.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GusCruz
    Topics:

Watch Suicide Squad win. It’s the most impressive (not exactly best).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Paul Hardister
    Topics:

How many have all 3 of their early Best Make-Up picks still alive? I only got 1 out of 3 right. My other two didn’t make the short list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Pollo crudo
    Topics:

Lol, hardest category to predict RN. I’d think the only lock is for Star Trek.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

I am getting a lot of mixed messages from this thread, so thanks for nothing.  I have only seen Hail, Caesar! from the seven and do not recall anything innovative about the makeup.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Hail Casear didn’t even have impressive makeup. The movie was trash anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GusCruz
    Topics:

I am getting a lot of mixed messages from this thread, so thanks for nothing. I have only seen Hail, Caesar! from the seven and do not recall anything innovative about the makeup.

I’m actually glad they went with at least one movie that wasn’t showy in the makeup department. It’s far more convincing and coherent than in FFJ.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

FFJ was showy but not over the top. It actually blended in when I watched it the second time. It’s noticeable cause it’s a period piece obviously.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Topics:

I am going against tide and saying Suicide Squad will get nominated. Sure the reviews weren’t great, but neither was The Lone Ranger but it got in… TWICE!

May the best of your todays be the worst of your tomorrows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I am going against tide and saying Suicide Squad will get nominated. Sure the reviews weren’t great, but neither was The Lone Ranger but it got in… TWICE!

I would predict Suicide Squad but have no room for it. Already got Deadpool at 100/1 and those are odds you can’t throw away on a whim. Think FFJ and Ove will take other 2 spots.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Macca
    Topics:

I’m still surprised at how many good films were snubbed from the shortlist, and from the shortlist I can only see Star Trek Beyond getting nominated, so I suppose I’m thinking it will win. The others are all probably gonna fight over the last two positions. Deadpool and FFJ seem to be the two that most people are predicting to get nominated along side Star Trek, so I’d have to go with them. The fact that Jackie, Hacksaw Ridge, Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts, didn’t get shortlisted is truly questionable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Noe
    Topics:

But The Lone Ranger had a superb production. The craftsmanship was spotless in most of its departments despite the quality of the film.

It earned its two nominations and actually it would have been worthy of two more, Costume Design and Production Design.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.