Home Forums Movies 2016 Makeup and Hairstyling Finalists

2016 Makeup and Hairstyling Finalists

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
GusCruz
Bee
  • AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I feel reasonably confident about Star Trek here. A Man Called Ove is too obscure, I suspect, and Suicide Squad is well, too unwatchably horrendous.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

A Man Called Ove is too obscure

There’s nothing obscure about it. It’s a mainstream film through and through. I hear it was an arthouse hit in the US last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It would be the lowest-grossing winner ever in the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

A Man Called Ove is too obscure

There’s nothing obscure about it. It’s a mainstream film through and through. I hear it was an arthouse hit in the US last year.

What qualifies as a “hit”?  It made less than $4M in the US, not enough to rank in the top 100 Foreign Language films (per BoxOffice Mojo).

There’s no denying that it’s a sentimental button-pusher and it will get some crossover viewing because of Foreign Language, but it still is the most obscure title in any of the regular feature film categories (except for possibly JIM: THE JAMES FOLEY STORY).

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

I am sticking with Ove for now. If it were “too obscure” then it wouldn’t have been nominated for two Oscars. I also think it’s very possible it bumps off Toni Erdmann in foreign. As for makeup, something about the fact that Star Trek is a sequel is nagging at me – in a sense wouldn’t they be rewarding much of the same makeup they did the first time? I know that one of the previous Trek makeup winners is nominated again for this iteration.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

If it were “too obscure” then it wouldn’t have been nominated for two Oscars.

Both in categories with shortlists.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I am sticking with Ove for now. If it were “too obscure” then it wouldn’t have been nominated for two Oscars. I also think it’s very possible it bumps off Toni Erdmann in foreign. As for makeup, something about the fact that Star Trek is a sequel is nagging at me – in a sense wouldn’t they be rewarding much of the same makeup they did the first time? I know that one of the previous Trek makeup winners is nominated again for this iteration.

Didn’t stop ROTK winning MakeUp after FOTR did.

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

If it were “too obscure” then it wouldn’t have been nominated for two Oscars.

Both in categories with shortlists.

Fair, I wouldn’t say it’s a populist choice by any means I just meant that it’s popular enough to make short lists and earn nominations in two categories over far academy friendlier fare.

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Didn’t stop ROTK winning MakeUp after FOTR did.

Again, not saying Ove is running away with it but both LOTR were BP nominees that had support all over the place, unlike ST.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.