Home Forums Movies 2017 BAFTA Film Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

2017 BAFTA Film Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 346 through 355 (of 355 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Bee
AMG
GusCruz
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Bump to reduce replication of BAFTA threads – we don’t need 78 threads all relating the exact same thing.

One week to go, who is gonna win?

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really searching for who the British winner is going to be. I mean this century there has only been one year when there were no British champs and even then Meryl Streep won for playing a notable british figure in a British film.

Currently I am tentatively predicting Hugh Grant to win but could easily see BAFTA going with the safe Ali win like they did with Arquette a couple of years ago.

I could also see Garfield upsetting in Actor but think this is far less likely as Affleck is in a Best Film nominee although Garfield would fit the bill of winning when someone major is snubbed (in this case Washignton) like when Ejiofor won when Dallas Buyers Club was shut out.

Sadly Blunt stands no chance unless Portman and Stone somehow split (though I am predicting Stone) and Davis to me is an doubted lock particularly after the uproar over Washington’s snub.

My picks:

La La Land
    Chazelle
    Affleck
    Stone
    Grant
    Davis

For Your GoldDerby Decade Awards Consideration:

Downton Abbey in Series, Supporting Actress and Ensemble. Glee in Supporting Actress, Guest Actor and Guest Actress.

Claire Foy and Lisa Kudrow in Drama and Comedy Actress respectively.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Davis is a lock. I actually believe that Harris could beat her here.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing with Davis is they actively went out of their way to vote for her.

With Dallas Buyers Club they just ignored the film as a whole. Here, they rejected the film everywhere except for Davis. That possibly speaks volumes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Dallas Buyers Club released too late? And of course they nominated her since she is the frontrunner to win. Not saying she can’t win because it’s very close, but they obviously liked Moonlight more than Fences and if they don’t award Ali, they can give it to Harris.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing with Davis is they actively went out of their way to vote for her.

With Dallas Buyers Club they just ignored the film as a whole. Here, they rejected the film everywhere except for Davis. That possibly speaks volumes.

That is my exact thinking for Davis. Clearly they want to jump on that bandwagon.

As for the Dallas Buyers Club, I was more doing a comparison of a big contender being out of the race and how that led to a UK winner, not any similarity in how the big contender was ignored 🙂

For Your GoldDerby Decade Awards Consideration:

Downton Abbey in Series, Supporting Actress and Ensemble. Glee in Supporting Actress, Guest Actor and Guest Actress.

Claire Foy and Lisa Kudrow in Drama and Comedy Actress respectively.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Dallas Buyers Club released too late? And of course they nominated her since she is the frontrunner to win. Not saying she can’t win because it’s very close, but they obviously liked Moonlight more than Fences and if they don’t award Ali, they can give it to Harris.

I *think* DBC was eligible the year it was at the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    RicosMama
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m actually a little concerned for Viola, they clearly did not like Fences. And I’m also a little concerned for Moonlight in any category because it only got 3 nominations. I could see BAFTAs going totally off the rails and giving it to ATJ again for Nocturnal as it did get 9 nominations or Grant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Technically Moonlight got four. And last year, Room only had two and that didn’t stop them from giving it to Brie Larson so Mahershala still has a chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    chismg10
    Participant
    Topics:

So next year I’m entering my Bafta predictions in GD.  All of my picks won except for make-up and sound (I’m so bad at these categories). As I said in my post in this forum about how Europeans feel about movies, they see film as art, not as a platform to fill quotas, like awarding an actor just because he’s British (Andrew Garfield), but just because the majority of it’s thousands members think it’s the best acting. I’m so happy for Patel and Affleck!!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 346 through 355 (of 355 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.