Home Forums Movies 2017 OSCARS Reactions Thread (Part 3)

2017 OSCARS Reactions Thread (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
lovelylovely
Atypical
Honey
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Please continue here because the other thread has already reached over 600 posts.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

That mix up was an all time great in the history of the Oscars. And for the winner to be deserving was icing on the cake.

Here’s to next year. And we might see Natalie and Emma in contention again.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone believe they’ll shotgun Huppert an honorary this year to make up for the debacle?

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s 5 of the past 7 years’ Best Picture winners are the five least-seen BP winners in the history of American film. I’m not saying go full People’s Choice – far from it. But there needs to be a balance between the arthouse stuff and the intelligent blockbusters that fans AND critics love. Have them compete against each other and then watch the audience come back. But last night may have been a deathblow for the show, and it wasn’t Kimmel’s doing.

The inconvenient and terrible (for AMPAS) truth: independent films are strangling the life out of the Oscar ratings, and until the membership has a come-to-Jesus moment and stop copying the results of the Indie Spirit awards, the ratings will continue to decline. Just saying….

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s 5 of the past 7 years’ Best Picture winners are the five least-seen BP winners in the history of American film. I’m not saying go full People’s Choice – far from it. But there needs to be a balance between the arthouse stuff and the intelligent blockbusters that fans AND critics love. Have them compete against each other and then watch the audience come back. But last night may have been a deathblow for the show, and it wasn’t Kimmel’s doing. The inconvenient and terrible (for AMPAS) truth: independent films are strangling the life out of the Oscar ratings, and until the membership has a come-to-Jesus moment and stop copying the results of the Indie Spirit awards, the ratings will continue to decline. Just saying….

I agree that it tends to skew small (and I wish that films like Moonlight would SHOW CLOSER TO WHERE I LIVE! I’m not driving an hour to see you!) but four of the BP nominees made over $100 mil at the box office and a couple of others didn’t do too shabby either. Meanwhile the very arty The Lobster only got a single nom. Clearly audiences are seeing at least SOME of the movies. But to me it’s tricky because it’s hard to balance giving credit to less “art-y” but still entertaining and successful while trying to keep the Oscars merit-based (well, as much as they are, anyway…). And not just giving the Blockbusters something like a Sound Mixing nom. But having something like Deadpool (I really do not understand the demand for its nomination) compete against something like Moonlight just feels off. I really wouldn’t know what to do.

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I suspect Huppert might well garner an Honorary Oscar…in a decade or two. I think the urgency to award her a prize is much stronger in the film awards blogosphere than it is in actuality among members of the Academy themselves.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    maxwylie09
    Participant
    Topics:

I think movies like Chicago would have lost to The Pianist with a preferential ballot system too.

Oh, if only we were so lucky…

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to live in a world where people stop bitching about how undeserving Casey Affleck was when they didn’t even watch Manchester by the Sea.

ReplyCopy URL
    Julia Spencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone believe they’ll shotgun Huppert an honorary this year to make up for the debacle?

I cannot believe she lost to Emma Stone. After Caseys win, I so thought we would get another great – IMO – winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I cannot believe she lost to Emma Stone. After Caseys win, I so thought we would get another great – IMO – winner.

Affleck and Stone represent the same thing. Had Washington or anyone else for that matter upset Best Actor there’d be hope for an alternative in Best Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to live in a world where people stop bitching about how undeserving Casey Affleck was when they didn’t even watch Manchester by the Sea.

Most of the butt hurt is SJW pushing their lynch mob agenda and Denzel stans who I guarantee a lot of them didn’t watch the movie. Big actors have their fanboys that will prop up their performances and assume they should win no matter what, much like Yankees or Cowboys fans assume all their players are the best and nobody else in the league is any good. I’m a Leo fan but I know this better then most because a lot of his fans are the same way

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Denzel Stans and the Beyhive are related. I have been enlightened.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

Most of the butt hurt is SJW pushing their lynch mob agenda and Denzel stans who I guarantee a lot of them didn’t watch the movie. Big actors have their fanboys that will prop up their performances and assume they should win no matter what, much like Yankees or Cowboys fans assume all their players are the best and nobody else in the league is any good. I’m a Leo fan but I know this better then most because a lot of his fans are the same way

It’s gotten to the point where it’s just nauseating. We get it, you don’t like him. Shit happened however many years ago, blah blah. “OMG Brie Larson should’ve thrown the awards and envelope on the floor and walked off!!!!” “Everyone was so done with that rapist!!! Viola and Emma hate his ass!!”

Seriously, when did it stop being about the performance?

ReplyCopy URL
    distain
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, Frank Stallone (an Academy member and Sly’s brother) is on Twitter at the moment saying Denzel got robbed. And Stallone is the complete opposite of a SJW. He was ranting about Moonlight sucking the other week.

It’s a mix. A lot of people with no particular SJW agenda or stan afilliation just think Denzel was outright better, and should have won. For Stallone of all people to back Denzel says a lot, because I don’t get the impression he’s very much into movies about African-Americans, and he probably thinks people are overreacting to the allegations against Casey.

ReplyCopy URL
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s funny because Casey got a pretty warm standing O last night and Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep came over and hugged and congratulated him lol. I guess now they will disown their queen.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.