Home Forums Movies 2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8

2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 536 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
PJ Edwards
FreemanGriffin
  • Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you guys think Michael Stuhlbarg’s appearance in The Shape of Water and The Post will help his chances of getting nominated for Call Me By Your Name?

I know I am in the vast minority on this one, but I actually liked Stuhlbarg’s performance in The Shape of Water much better than his “one-scene wonder” in Call Me By Your Name.

manalemel
    Participant
    Topics:

He’s perfectly fine in CMBYN and really sells the queerness of the father enough that the thesis statement he has to deliver at the end of the movie sticks the landing and doesn’t seem as out of nowhere as it could have.

He’s a very talented actor, and his reading of Aciman’s words is utterly, utterly lovely.  The way he plays the role of the father as someone in love with the world, even the sadness and pain of letting go and heartbreak, is fantastic.  In many ways, it’s how I envisioned Elio in the book (Chalamet plays him a different way to me; not worse, just different, but it’s irksome at times).

That being said, he wouldn’t even BE in the conversation without Aciman’s words, so really, his is the most Oscar-bait of all the nominees.  I haven’t seen The Shape of Water, but I only see him being nominated if the Academy somehow ends up embracing CMBYN like they did with Silver Linings Playbook, which got that inexplicable Jacki Weaver nomination (nothing against her, and it’s a nice little part, but she really wasn’t the bee’s knees to take the 5th spot that year).

As is, I’m figuring CMBYN’s only lock is for Chalamet (though the cinematography and the songs deserve some love, to be honest), and they may very well go all in and award him as an award for the movie itself.  I personally don’t understand why his is the performance of the year (and for the ages, if some people are to be believed), but I also believe it’s been a weak year as far as recognized male performances (that is to say: the unspoken performances easily trounce those getting all the spots).  Still rooting for a WTF Gyllenhaal win (since none of my favorites are in the running aside from him), but I know I’m probably one of five people rooting for that.  Haha!

I feel like Janney’s gonna take the supporting actress Oscar for some reason.  I don’t know, might just be my love for Janney melting over.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d put Stuhlbarg in supporting actor before Hammer. I know it’s a really small part, but hey, there’s a supporting category for a reason and he was really, really great. I don’t think he’ll get in though. That last spot seems wide open so he definitely could sneak in but he hasn’t done well at the precursors, he hasn’t campaigned much, and he’s competing against his costar. CMBYN as a whole has been under performing so far as well so that definitely doesn’t help.

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

I currently have:

1) Dafoe
    2) Rockwell
    3) Jenkins
    4) Hammer
    5) Plummer

My personal lineup is currently

1) Stewart
    2) Hedlund
    3) Mitchell
    4) Rockwell
    5) Stuhlbarg

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

What are we thinking for PGA?

I think we have 5 sure bets

1-5) Get Out, Three Billboards, Lady Bird, The Shape of Water, Dunkirk

After that gets tricky

6) Call me By your Name
    7) The Post

The Post and CMBYN should be getting in but thier underperformance everywhere makes me suspicous.

For 8-10 I suspect they’ll surprise us.

8) The Florida Project
    9) The Big Sick
    10) Baby Driver

ALT) Bladerunner 2049

I’m not sure if The Glorida Project is too Indy for PGA, and it hasn’t been doing great outside of Dafoe. I have The Big Sick in because it low key reminds me of Bridesmaids. And I have Baby Driver getting in as my wild card pick. PGA likes occasional blockbusters and I feel like Baby Driver fits that bill. I was debating between Baby Driver, Bladerunner and Logan. Logan seems like a long shot and Bladerunner flopped and underperformed with critics so I decided not to bet on it.

Kwame
    Participant
    Topics:

42 Directors Pick Their Favorite Movies of 2017

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/directors-best-movies-tv-2017-guillermo-del-toro-denis-villeneuve-luca-guadagnino-1201911679/

Get Out – 26 mentions
    Lady Bird – 18 mentions
    The Florida Project – 16 mentions
    Call Me by Your Name – 14 mentions
    Dunkirk – 12 mentions

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

42 Directors Pick Their Favorite Movies of 2017

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/directors-best-movies-tv-2017-guillermo-del-toro-denis-villeneuve-luca-guadagnino-1201911679/

Get Out – 26 mentions
    Lady Bird – 18 mentions
    The Florida Project – 16 mentions
    Call Me by Your Name – 14 mentions
    Dunkirk – 12 mentions

Sort of surprised there’s not more shape of water, though I haven’t seen it so maybe it doesn’t deserve it. I have no idea why Get Out and Lady Bird are being considered the best directoral achievements of the year.

Kwame
    Participant
    Topics:

Kwame wrote:
    42 Directors Pick Their Favorite Movies of 2017 http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/directors-best-movies-tv-2017-guillermo-del-toro-denis-villeneuve-luca-guadagnino-1201911679/ Get Out – 26 mentions Lady Bird – 18 mentions The Florida Project – 16 mentions Call Me by Your Name – 14 mentions Dunkirk – 12 mentions

Sort of surprised there’s not more shape of water, though I haven’t seen it so maybe it doesn’t deserve it. I have no idea why Get Out and Lady Bird are being considered the best directoral achievements of the year.

I think it got 10 mentions, which isn’t so bad.
    Three Billboards had 8.
    Phantom Thread, 11
    The Post, 7
    The Big Sick and Mudbound, 6

Though some of them did admit they haven’t seen everything yet

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

WGA Predictions

Get Out, Lady Bird, The Big Sick, Phantom Thread, The Shape of Water

CMBYN,Mudbound, The Disaster Artist, Logan, Mollys Game

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

WGA Predictions

I think I read Three Billboards is WGA ineligible. Why is that exactly? Fox Searchlight is the studio distributing it and its also releasing The Shape of Water, which is eligible. I know that the studio has to be a guild signatory and the writer has to be a WGA member in order to contend, so since TSOW and TBOEM have the same studio behind it, is McDonagh not being a guild member the reason the film isn’t WGA eligible?

AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

WGA Predictions

I think I read Three Billboards is WGA ineligible. Why is that exactly? Fox Searchlight is the studio distributing it and its also releasing The Shape of Water, which is eligible. I know that the studio has to be a guild signatory and the writer has to be a WGA member in order to contend, so since TSOW and TBOEM have the same studio behind it, is McDonagh not being a guild member the reason the film isn’t WGA eligible?

Yes. Martin McDonagh isn’t a Writers Guild of America member. The same with Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu Quenton Tarantino, etc.
    Not sure why exactly they didn’t join the Writers guild.

Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh look, the next Best Actor winner is in this picture!

PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

On this day, I finally accepted who I am. I finally stopped pretending to predict The Post in BP.

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

WGA Nominations came out today

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

“The Big Sick,” Written by Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani; Amazon Studios

“Get Out,” Written by Jordan Peele; Universal Pictures

“I, Tonya,” Written by Steven Rogers; Neon

“Lady Bird,” Written by Greta Gerwig; A24

“The Shape of Water,” Screenplay by Guillermo del Toro & Vanessa Taylor; Story by Guillermo del Toro; Fox Searchlight

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

“Call Me by Your Name,” Screenplay by James Ivory; Based on the Novel by André Aciman; Sony Pictures Classics

“The Disaster Artist,” Screenplay by Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber; Based on the Book The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside the Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell; A24

“Logan,” Screenplay by Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green; Story by James Mangold; Based on Characters from the X-Men Comic Books and Theatrical Motion Pictures; Twentieth Century Fox Film

“Molly’s Game,” Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin; Based on the Book by Molly Bloom; STX Entertainment

“Mudbound,” Screenplay by Virgil Williams and Dee Rees; Based on the Novel by Hillary Jordan; Netflix

Worth noting that “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” was ineligible however “The Post” was eligible. So maybe the Original Screenplay lineup will look exactly like the one above except “Three Billboards” will most likely take the place of “I, Tonya.” “The Post” will probably get in for director though since I don’t see it being shut out of both director and screenplay.

The Adapted Screenplay noms are perfect and I hope these are the same for nominees for the Oscars.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  TVFan365.
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 536 total)

The topic ‘2018 Oscar Nominee Predictions: Part 8’ is closed to new replies.