Home Forums Movies 2018 Saturn Awards Film Nominations

2018 Saturn Awards Film Nominations

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
Guest 2018
Guest2014
  • Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

According to the Saturn Awards’ Twitter, the nominations for the 44th Annual Saturn Awards will be revealed “soon.”

https://twitter.com/SaturnAwards1/status/973009446552170496

Whether that means tomorrow or in a couple days I don’t know. Some last-minute questions for all of you before they are officially announced:

How will Star Wars: The Last Jedi fare in nominations due to the polarized fan reaction it received, even with its critical acclaim? The Force Awakens got 15 nominations and 8 wins while Rogue One got 11 nominations and 3 wins. Both films won Science Fiction Film, so it would seem that even if the unlikely event of TLJ failing to receive double digit nods like its fellow Disney Wars predecessors, it is locked to win at least for Science Fiction Film.

What about Blade Runner 2049? Will it do at the Saturns what it did for the original at the Oscars in awards recognition? In spite of the first Blade Runner being almost unanimously viewed as one of the all-time great science fiction films in the present day, Ridley Scott’s classic only received 4 Saturn nominations and no wins at all the year of its Saturn Awards consideration, including snubs for Hampton Fancher and David Peoples’ Screenplay and for Vangelis’ Music Score! At the Oscars it didn’t do much better, getting only 2 tech nods for Art Direction and Visual Effects, both of which it lost. Since the Blade Runner sequel did quite a bit better at the Oscars, managing 5 tech nods and 2 wins for Cinematography and Visual Effects, does this mean the Saturn Awards will be more generous in recognizing this franchise? Denis Villeneuve was nominated last year for Arrival, which won the Saturn Award for Writing and even though the Saturns didn’t give the original Blade Runner film any wins when it was first released, they have noticeably warmed up to it in recent years. In 1994 they nominated the “Director’s Cut” for Best Genre Video Release, which it lost. Then much later in 2008, they finally gave the film a win in the category of Best Special Edition DVD Release for the “5 Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition.”

How will major Oscar winners The Shape of Water and Get Out perform in Saturn nominations? Guillermo Del Toro shockingly has never won a Saturn Award in a competitive category, most infamously losing Director and Writing for his fantasy horror classic Pan’s Labyrinth to the divisive Superman Returns. He did win the “George Pal Memorial Award” in 2008, but aside from that one honorary win the Saturns have yet to award him a competitive trophy. With his first and second Oscars in hand at last as a Director and Producer of The Shape of Water, does this mean that he can finally win a competitive Saturn, since he was able to overcome the Oscars notorious anti-fantasy bias with his fairy tale?

As for Get Out, will the Peele film win Writing at the Saturns just as it won Original Screenplay at the Oscars? Will it be classified as a Horror Film or as a Thriller Film? It could be called either by these awards, considering their long history of bizarre and even outright self-contradictory category classifications:

http://www.goldderby.com/forum/movies/wtf-is-up-with-the-saturn-awards-insane-genre-categorizations/

Will Captain Underpants be nominated for Animated Feature? If there is any awards group on the planet that seems perfect for exactly this kind of film, it is the surely the group literally called “The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror.” If a hilarious and clever story about 2 kids hypnotizing their principal into becoming an underpants-clad superhero from their comics can’t get a Saturn nomination in spite of being well-received by most critics, then the Saturns should pull the plug on their awards entirely.

Last year Kubo and the 2 Strings earned ZERO Saturn nominations even though it was universally acclaimed and got 2 Oscar nominations, including a Visual Effects nod, a rare feat for an animated film. Deadpool may have been nominated for Picture by the Globes and PGA, but the Saturn didn’t seem to be the biggest fans of the “merc with a mouth” since it only received 3 Saturn nominations, its snubs including the DGA-nominated Director Tim Miller. What films will under-perform the most in Saturn nominations in spite of recognition by numerous other awards groups?

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, what are your thoughts on this? Feel free to discuss! 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

The Last Jedi ‘backlash’ was orchestrated by fringe, Trumpian groups for reasons surpassing understanding.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

The Last Jedi ‘backlash’ was orchestrated by fringe, Trumpian groups for reasons surpassing understanding.

The negative critical commentary actually came from a place of desiring storytelling consistency and quality character development. Of course there will be some people who are just out there to troll, but don’t let that minority of assholes overwhelm the valid and important points that critics of TLJ have made. Even many who love the movie seem to be able to admit it has serious script problems and is a huge step down from The Force Awakens. Kathleen Kennedy hasn’t even defended The Last Jedi like she did the Abrams film because even she probably sees what an obvious mess the Johnson film turned out to be.

The Last Jedi came thrillingly close to upending Star Wars — but lost its nerve

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/culture/2018/1/12/16834684/the-last-jedi-lost-its-nerve

Star Wars: The Last Jedi – SPOILER Review By Jeremy Jahns

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1214s&v=-A9rYcBmBFo

STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI SPOILER TALK – Double Toasted Review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydVTTkF2zds

Don’t fall for Disney’s propaganda machine. Calling the deserved and nuanced backlash “fringe, Trumpian” is an offensive and deeply ignorant oversimplification if the polarized reaction to The Last Jedi. I really hope other Saturn voters aren’t as naive as you. 🙁

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Any OTHER thoughts on the upcoming Saturn Awards nominations? Anyone? These awards are such a genuinely guilty pleasure of mine because they are so stupid and rarely get it right (in my subjective opinion) but when they do it really means something, just like with every other awards group.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it is hilarious how me and Guest2014 are the ONLY 2 people on Goldderby who are interested in the Saturn Awards. Wouldn’t be surprised if we were the only 2 people who voted on the award winners themselves!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler [Last Name]
    Participant
    Topics:

All the Last Jedi hate is beyond stupid. Yes the film has many flaws, some of which being people’s primary complaints that I can agree with (the length, Snoke’s death) but I still found it to be really good and on par with the original trilogy.

FYC: Ready Player One. Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Production Design, Director and BEST PICTURE (make it happen Oscars!!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@tyman21 Can we at least agree it doesn’t deserve a Saturn nomination for Best Writing? They can nominate the Visual Effects, Production Design, and most of all posthumously recognize the performance of Carrie Fisher as General Leia all they want, but does The Last Jedi really deserve a nod for Writing?

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler [Last Name]
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure.

FYC: Ready Player One. Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Production Design, Director and BEST PICTURE (make it happen Oscars!!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I always look forward to the Saturn Awards each year, and I’m just as picky and serious about them as I am with the Oscars and the Emmys. My guess is on the film side we’ll see a lot of nominations for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, The Shape Of Water, It, Get Out, Baby Driver, Blade Runner 2049 and War For The Planet Of The Apes. Of course all of last year’s superhero films will probably be represented in some capacity, but out of all superhero films, I suspect Wonder Woman and Logan will get the most nominations. Depending on who their competition is, I suspect both Hugh Jackman and Gal Gadot could win Best Actor and Best Actress. If they’re not nominated, I bet there may be a backlash similar to Ben Affleck’s directing Oscar snub for Argo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m predicting Baby Driver will lose Action or Adventure Film to Dunkirk, which will piss me off like crazy, but not every award gets it right.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

9:30am tomorrow morning Pacific Standard Time the Saturn Award nominations are FINALLY announced! Here’s to Good Time surprising everyone with a lot of love! The Safdie Brothers psychedelic acid trip of a movie deserves all the recognition it can get. Also, I really hope a couple of my Oscar-snubbed faves from 2017, Thor: Ragnarok and Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie, surprise with a ton of nominations. I want Captain Underpants to get nominated for Animated Feature so freaking badly it hurts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Nominations coming in right now:

Comic-to-Film Motion Picture: Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Logan, Spiderman: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder Woman

Science Fiction Film: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Alien; Covenant, Blade Runner 2049, Life, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, War for Planet of Apes

Fantasy Film: Beauty and the Beast, Downbsizing, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Kong, Paddington 2, Shape of Water,

Horror: 47 Meters Down, Annabelle: Creation, Better Watch Out, Get Out, It, Mother

Thriller; Brawl in Cell Block 99, Murder on the Orient Express, The Post, Suburbicon, 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO: Wind River

Action/Adventure Film: Baby Driver, Dunkirk, Fate of Furious, Hostiles, Kingsman Greatest Showman

Actor: Chadwick Boseman, Black Panther; Ryan Gosling, Blade Runner 2049, Mark Hamill, Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Hugh Jackman,, Logan: Daniel Kuulaya, Get Out; Andy Serkis, War for the Planet of the Apes, Vince Vaughn, Brawl in Cell Block 99

Actress: Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman: Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water: Frances McDormand,3 Billboards, Lupita N’yongo, Black Panther: Rosamund Pike, Hostiles: Daisy Ridley, Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Emma Watson, Beauty and the Beast

Supporting Actor: Harrison Ford, Blade Runner 2049, Michael B. Jordan, Black Panther, Michael Keaton, Spiderman: Homecoming, Chris Pine, Wonder Woman: Mike Richter, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Bill Skaarsgard, It; Sir Patrick Stewart, Logan

Supporting Actress: Anna D’Armas, Blade Runner 2049, Carrie Fisher, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, De’Naia Guerrera, Black Panther, Lois Smith, Marjorie Prime: Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water, Tessa Thompson, Black Panther, Kelly Marie Tran, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Director: Ryan Coogler “Black Panther; Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water; Patty Jenkins, Wonder Woman; Rian Johnson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Jordan Peele, Get Out; Matt Reeves, War for the Planet of the Apes; Denis Villeneuve Blade Runner 2049

Screenplay: Black Panther, Blade Runner 2049, Get Out, Logan, The Shape of Water, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Wonder Woman

Production Design: Beauty and the Beast, Black Panther, Blade Runner 2049, The Shape of Water, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets

Editing: Black Panther, The Fate of the Furious, Get Out, Logan, The Shape of Water, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Music: Black Panther, Coco, The Greatest Showman, The Shape of Water, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Wonderstruck

Costume Design: Beauty and the Beast, Black Panther, The Greatest Showman, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets, Wonder Woman

Makeup: Black Panther, Blade Runner 2049, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, It, The Shape of Water, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Wonder

Visual Effects: Black Panther, Blade Runner 2049, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Kong: Skull Island, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, War for the Planet of the Apes

Independent Film: I, Tonya, LBJ, Lucky, Professor Marston and the Wonder Women, Super Dark Times, Wonder, Wonderstruck

International Film: Baahubali 2: The Conclusion, Brimstone, The Lodgers, The Man Who Invented Christmas, The Square, Wolf Warrior 2

Animated Film: Cars 3, Coco, Despicable Me 3, The Boss Baby, Your Name

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Guest2014.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Guest2014.
    ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

Alexander Skaarsgard, It

???

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Corrected. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.