Home Forums Movies 2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 6)

2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 503 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Lil Tony
FreemanGriffin
willd
  • Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I would be interested to know what the percentages of different voters there are: age, sex, race, sexuality, etc. I know they have changed it but I do think the academy is still older and white; more diverse but not by that much? Knowing this information would make predictions much easier.

Davis is  one of the best actresses working today that’s obvious, but I don’t think it’s fair to blame her removal from the award race this year on the academy and other awards groups being racist. Literally every actress contender this year has an insane amount of passion behind them/their movie and Widows simply doesn’t, which is unfortunately what happens when an action movie bombs at the box office.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Davis and Aparicio are ultimately out of this race. Aparicio needed this nomination because I doubt she gets in at SAG.

Aparicio is out only if she misses Critics Choice. HFPA is not usually kind to foreign-language performances by newcomers. I have Aparicio in my Oscar predix but always expected her to miss out at the Globes.

Vincent Yeoh
    Participant
    Topics:

Davis is one of the best actresses working today that’s obvious, but I don’t think it’s fair to blame her removal from the award race this year on the academy and other awards groups being racist. Literally every actress contender this year has an insane amount of passion behind them/their movie and Widows simply doesn’t, which is unfortunately what happens when an action movie bombs at the box office.

I saw the trailer for Widows and Davis looked like Davis from other movies, which meant good but nothing different. Same Davis, different character. In fact, I am more compelled to see it because of Colin Farrell, who manages to be different each time.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Davis is one of the best actresses working today that’s obvious, but I don’t think it’s fair to blame her removal from the award race this year on the academy and other awards groups being racist. Literally every actress contender this year has an insane amount of passion behind them/their movie and Widows simply doesn’t, which is unfortunately what happens when an action movie bombs at the box office.

Tyler, I did not “blame” nor do I see it as about racism. I have noticed that in a general sense it does seem like the academy prefers younger white women and older white men and that may have to do with the demographics of the academy membership. I know they have been diversifying, and I was wondering aloud how much that is true? I do believe that certain groups do bloc vote, so knowing the composition of the voting body certainly is helpful in making predictions.

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

As if TV movie is a insult in 2018 when tv is more popular than film and Netflix can get Oscar noms. The hate for viola Davis is unnecessary, nobody else on this forum gets as much hate 🧐. She’s one of the best actresses of this generation. Maybe if Hollywood gave black women less stereotypical films than they could actually have a chance in these races. There’s no reason why Emily blunt she be getting nominated for Mary Poppins in 2018 when she was phenomenal in a quiet place. These award shows are gonna continue to lose ratings unless they make their nominees more diverse and less predictable. Why would I watch the Oscars when I watched the same exact people when the same exact awards and give the same exact speeches as the globes or sag. Toni Colette, Yalitza Aparicio,olivia Colman and Nicole Kidman should be the locks but I guess close and Gaga are somehow more deserving.

but no one is really hating on Davis. Everyone agrees that she’s a good actress. All we’re saying is that she needs to sit out for widows and deservedly so. I guess she overacts a lot and makes all roles appear the same

FYC Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) and Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) for best actress

O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

I´m doubting about Davis on the SAGs.I´m thinking about switching her with Emily Blunt.Right now I have
    1.Lady Gaga
    2.Glenn Close
    3.Olivia Colman
    4.Nicole Kidman
    5.Viola Davis

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

but no one is really hating on Davis. Everyone agrees that she’s a good actress. All we’re saying is that she needs to sit out for widows and deservedly so. I guess she overacts a lot and makes all roles appear the same

but to be fair she always is given or takes on roles that show similar strength in character which means her full range is not exercised. I love Viola but she should consider roles that demonstrate her range, particularly on the opposite spectrum of what she’s already nailed. For example: Emily Blunt has had has recent roles like Mary Poppins to A Quiet Place to Sicario to Girl on the Train.

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

It may not be about awards groups being racist, but it’s definitely worth asking what the role of racial politics and attitudes is when a critically praised feminist action film starring a black woman flops at the box office.

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

I love Davis but every performance is starting to feel the same.

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

If Widows is shut out of SAG she’s dead. But I believe it could land as many as four nods.

.Ensemble
    .Davis
    .Supporting Female
    .Supporting Male

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

but to be fair she always is given or takes on roles that show similar strength in character which means her full range is not exercised. I love Viola but she should consider roles that demonstrate her range, particularly on the opposite spectrum of what she’s already nailed. For example: Emily Blunt has had has recent roles like Mary Poppins to A Quiet Place to Sicario to Girl on the Train.

exactly what we all have been saying. That she’s super talented is not a question. I understand there aren’t many roles for women of colour especially the middle aged ones but she can still possibly branch out and do something new. I guess her biggest issue isn’t even the stereotypical roles but her tendency to overact and appear the same in all her movies. While I still believe she was good in Fences, her crying scenes were just super overacted and same happened in Widows.

As for Emily Blunt, it pains me that she’s not an Oscar nominee till this day. This is one of the most versatile actresses working today.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Lil Tony.

FYC Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) and Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) for best actress

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

If Widows is shut out of SAG she’s dead. But I believe it could land as many as four nods. .Ensemble .Davis .Supporting Female .Supporting Male

All I know is that it needs an acting nom to get into Ensemble. Ensemble is not happening without Davis in Actress.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

All I know is that it needs an acting nom to get into Ensemble. Ensemble is not happening without Davis in Actress.

Straight Outta Compton didn’t get an individual nod but it was still an ensemble nominee. Davis can still get in there cos she’s very popular there but Widows seems like an absolute surefire nominee for ensemble

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

Straight Outta Compton didn’t get an individual nod but it was still an ensemble nominee. Davis can still get in there cos she’s very popular there but Widows seems like an absolute surefire nominee for ensemble

Yeah, I actually checked this morning! The Grand Budapest Hotel as well! I guess Widows, Crazy Rich Asians, Black Panther, Vice, and The Favourite seems like a plausible lineup, right?

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

pierremg
    Participant
    Topics:

Chicago Film Critics nominations

Glenn OUT and Olivia Colman moved to SUPPORTING.

BEST ACTRESS:
    Yalitza Aparicio, Roma
    Toni Collette, Hereditary
    Lady Gaga, A Star is Born
    Regina Hall, Support the Girls
    Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  pierremg.
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.