Home Forums Movies 2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 196 through 205 (of 205 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
linecelts
SHT_L
  • Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

Best Female Lead: Glenn Close!

Lifeitme achievement!

Profile picture
    SHT L
    Topics:

Which means Close has a lifetime of work to reward, which ain’t really a bad thing at all. Some people try to say that as if it’s some sort of blight on her but if anything it only illustrates her excellent work in the past four and a half decades.

Profile picture
    Mukund
    Topics:

And yet again the Spirits have proved that they are no better than the other televised awards. As expected, they just went with the biggest contender in each category. I really should have seen CYEFM?’s win here though. It was after all the most high profile Oscar nominee of the lot.

Profile picture
    Mukund
    Topics:

Which means Close has a lifetime of work to reward, which ain’t really a bad thing at all. Some people try to say that as if it’s some sort of blight on her but if anything it only illustrates her excellent work in the past four and a half decades.

That’s what Lifetime Achievement Awards are for, not competitive ones.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

how come no one told me fucking shangela straight up sang (I think?) a medley about the best feature nominees

Profile picture
    arn
    Topics:

For those who couldn’t watch the ceremony, make sure you watch Richard E. Grant’s speech. That type of genuine excitement and sincerity cannot be faked.

Ali will be a worthy winner tomorrow, but its such a shame we wont be able to hear Grant speak tomorrow. He would have given a speech for the ages.

Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

For those who couldn’t watch the ceremony, make sure you watch Richard E. Grant’s speech. That type of genuine excitement and sincerity cannot be faked.

Ali will be a worthy winner tomorrow, but it’s such a shame we wont be able to hear Grant speak tomorrow. He would have given a speech for the ages.

It was such a great speech from Grant – I was so happy he won something for what I think is one of the best performances of the year. I agree that Ali will be a worthy winner, but I would so love it if Grant somehow upsets – I’m a dreamer.

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

That’s what Lifetime Achievement Awards are for, not competitive ones.

Competitive prizes are won for reasons not related to the performance being evaluated. People vote for their friends people vote for rival nominees against their show business enemies. The reasons why voters go a certain direction in any category can be random, petty, and primarily superficial.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

I hadn’t touched these predictions in a while, and I had “Beale Street” and Jenkins winning because I assumed they would be the only Oscar-nominated contenders in those categories. After a generally weak performance all season long, I’ve shifted my predictions to “Eighth Grade” and Granik. “Eighth Grade” just seems to have a lot of support with those DGA and WGA wins, and I think Granik has support for her film and being the strongest female nominee in a year where that category is dominated by women.

Lol fuck.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Aubrey Plaza was a great host. Just the kind of deadpan that a show like this needed. Strong winners, though it felt like a missed opportunity not rewarding a female for Best Director with 60% of the field being women, which the show reminded the audience of repeatedly. Also, Glenn Close’s dog and Shangela stole the show lol.

Viewing 10 posts - 196 through 205 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion’ is closed to new replies.