Home Forums Movies 2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 206 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
linecelts
SHT L
  • AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The art house crowd clearly isn’t taking McCarthy seriously – potentially fatal in a race as close as Best Actress this year.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0.625em 0px 1em; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.3em; font-size: 0.875rem; vertical-align: baseline; clear: none; color: #3a3a3a; font-family: ‘Gotham SSm A’, ‘Gotham SSm B’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important;”>I really was hoping Alex Wolff would get the recognition he deserves here, disappointing.</p>
    <p style=”-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0.625em 0px 1em; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.3em; font-size: 0.875rem; vertical-align: baseline; clear: none; color: #3a3a3a; font-family: ‘Gotham SSm A’, ‘Gotham SSm B’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important;”>Hoping Collete can take the prize home and thus boast her Oscar nom chances</p>

Spirit awards happen the day before the oscars. So even if she wins she has to built the a moment right now. But i agree that she totally deserves to get in at the oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Collette rises.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

The best foreign films being all individually superior movies to the best film list is just tragic.

ReplyCopy URL
    musterd
    Participant
    Topics:

The art house crowd clearly isn’t taking McCarthy seriously – potentially fatal in a race as close as Best Actress this year.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

Which is weird when the critics are raving her. Bias against mainstream and comedy stars?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am happy that Wildlife got 3 nominations; would have been happier if had been more. Thrilled that Carey Mulligan made it in, especially since Melissa McCarthy and Kiki Layne both failed to make it, despite their being 6 nominees.

Poor showings for Can You Ever Forgive Me?, BlackKKlansman (both nominated for Supporting Male with the former also up for Best Screenplay) surprised me.

Strong showings for First Reformed and You Were Never Really Here but also We the Animals and The Tale (I thought that was a made for television movie?).

Thrilled about Elsie Fisher and Josh Hamilton’s nominations for Eighth Grade! the scene where the dad expresses how much he admires his daughter was one of my favorites all year.

Biggest surprise: the Robert Altman award going to Suspiria???? Huh? Shocked!

Regina King is the only acting nomination for If Beale Street Could Talk, which surprises me – no Kiki Layne or Stephan James?

5 incredibly strong Foreign Film nominees.

Fascinating list of nominees; I love the way they present the nominees on their website!

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Which is weird when the critics are raving her. Bias against mainstream and comedy stars?

Maybe they like her, but not over the other women they decided to nominate.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I also just realized how poorly BlackKKlansman did, receiving only 1 nomination for Adam Driver.

I have got to ask: why Suspiria (for the Robert Altman award)? I am really quite shocked by that one!

I have seen 3 of the Best Actress nominees – I prefer Carey Mulligan’s performance and also Elsie Fisher’s performance to Glenn Close’s. I need to look up if it has ever happened that Best Female Lead has gone to someone who is her film’s only nominee.

Four films got 4 nominations (Eighth Grade, First Reformed, We the Animals and You Were Never Really Here), while three got 3 nominations (If Beale Street Could Talk, Leave No Trace and Wildlife). This was definitely a spread the wealth nominees list.

The Indie Spirits are always difficult because of the number of films that simply don’t show up in time to assess them before the actual awards in February (most of the films eventually show up on DVD or on cable but it can take up to a year for that to happen).

You Were Never Really Here did great; Male Lead I would think is between Hawke and Phoenix. (I thought YWNRH was Brit produced so I didn’t think it would be eligible.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

This is where things start for Ethan Hawke! Surprised that Adam Driver is the only nomination for “BlacKKKlansman,” but John David Washington is nodded for something else. Nothing for Paul Giamatti or Kathryn Hahn for “Private Life” (especially glaring for Hahn in a field of six nominees), but nods for Carter and Jenkins 3X. NO MELISSA MCCARTHY? Yay for Grant and all, but damn. It’s Glenn Close’s race to lose, bitches! Also cool that I’ve already seen three of the five Best International Film nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

I am happy that Wildlife got 3 nominations; would have been happier if had been more. Thrilled that Carey Mulligan made it in, especially since Melissa McCarthy and Kiki Layne both failed to make it, despite their being 6 nominees.

Poor showings for Can You Ever Forgive Me?, BlackKKlansman (both nominated for Supporting Male with the former also up for Best Screenplay) surprised me.

Strong showings for First Reformed and You Were Never Really Here but also We the Animals and The Tale (I thought that was a made for television movie?).

Thrilled about Elsie Fisher and Josh Hamilton’s nominations for Eighth Grade! the scene where the dad expresses how much he admires his daughter was one of my favorites all year.

Biggest surprise: the Robert Altman award going to Suspiria???? Huh? Shocked!

Regina King is the only acting nomination for If Beale Street Could Talk, which surprises me – no Kiki Layne or Stephan James?

5 incredibly strong Foreign Film nominees.

Fascinating list of nominees; I love the way they present the nominees on their website!

It premiered at Sundance before HBO bought it

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Eating popcorn while watching people overreact to indie spirit noms.

https://variety.com/2017/film/in-contention/spirit-awards-2017-analysis-call-me-by-your-name-get-out-shape-of-water-1202620858/

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

This event is now active in the predictions center.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Because they’re the weakest performers in the film

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

If this is the Oscar lineup, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will be with very few exceptions, Lord help the Oscar ratings.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

If this is the Oscar lineup, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will be with very few exceptions, Lord help the Oscar ratings.

It’s not.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.