Home Forums Movies 2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
M: The Original
leothescorpio
  • MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

If this is the Oscar lineup, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will be with very few exceptions, Lord help the Oscar ratings.

I don’t think people will watch the Oscars based on who’s nominated. Does that even happen? I mean, only cinephiles watch it anyway, and people that don’t find anything else to watch at the moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    nicholas27
    Participant
    Topics:

I am not surprised at all for the lack of love for BlacKkKlansman…it was very good but it didn’t have the heart or personal connection of many of the other movies nominated. I think it is one of the more vulnerable BP nominee hopefuls. Very happy for Eighth Grade and Leave No Trace though! Was hoping that Ben Foster would be a sleeper this season but I guess that’s not happening although I think McKenzie could beat King. I’m sad about Wolff in Hereditary for supporting actor, but I’m not all that surprised. However, aside from Melissa McCarthy’s snub in actress, I think Charlize Theron’s snub in the same category for Tully is the biggest snub. Also no Amanda Seyfried for First Reformed :/ didnt really expect a nom for her, but I knew that First Reformed would be beloved here, so I held out hope.

ReplyCopy URL
    ChargerFan
    Participant
    Topics:

No LaKeith Stanfield?
    Happy for Regina Hall! Haven’t seen her movie, but it looks great, and her reviews have been pretty outstanding.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Chris.

FYC: Regina Hall, Support the Girls, Lead Actress; Ethan Hawke, First Reformed, Lead Actor

ReplyCopy URL
    Owl-Always-watching
    Participant
    Topics:

I seen all the nominees in best actress category n my vote would go to Carey Mulligan . Glenn is 3 or 4 for me and I am a big fan of hers. Also a voter of the indies

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

This year is a little different from recent ones since 8 out of 10 films that are currently the BP contenders can’t be eligible for the race or the major categories. The only 2 are “If Beale Street Could Talk” and “Blackkklansman.”

Biggest snubs

1.”Can you ever forgive me” and Melissa McCarthy

2.”Blackkklansman” and Spike Lee

3.”Destroyer” and Nicole Kidman

4.Ben Foster from “Leave No Trace”

I personally prefer those “international film” nominees to the “best feature” ones.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Was Nicole Kidman eligible for a nomination? Not sure if Destroyer was actually in contention…

I am apprehensive about If Beale Street Could Talk winning (for Best Feature) due to it’s poor showing with only 3 nominations and no screenplay nom…

Ethan Hawke or Joaquin Phoenix? Both films are Best Feature nominees and both films have four nominations.

I am hoping that Wildlife takes Best First Feature.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Was Nicole Kidman eligible for a nomination? Not sure if Destroyer was actually in contention…

I am apprehensive about If Beale Street Could Talk winning (for Best Feature) due to it’s poor showing with only 3 nominations and no screenplay nom…

Ethan Hawke or Joaquin Phoenix? Both films are Best Feature nominees and both films have four nominations.

I am hoping that Wildlife takes Best First Feature.

Destroyer had a budget of about $10 Million, it wasn’t from a major studio, it was completely Spirits-eligible. I have never been predicting Nicole Kidman. I just don’t see her or that movie taking off this awards season, just my best sense.

By the way, I am Spirit Awards voter, and having already seen 3 of the 5 nominees for First Feature, The Tale, Hereditary, and Sorry To Bother You, I can say that I didn’t care for any of them. So I am extremely open to Wildlife and We The Animals. If I end up hating both of those then The Tale would get my vote purely as a default pick. I hope I don’t hate Wildlife though, since I love Paul Dano’s acting in films like There Will Be Blood and Prisoners and I want to like his directing as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d say I would be pretty safe to bet that the acting winners will be: Hawke, Close, Driver (the most iffy due to the lack of love of his film) & King.

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

Beale Street will be fine. Watch it go 3/3 here. Judging by noms the panel of 46 wanted to spread the wealth.

I don’t see anything/anyone beating King and Beale Street in feature. Jenkins could win, but I suspect they might go for one of the three female nominated directors.

I’m so happy for We The Animals and Private Life..though I haven’t seen the former, the trailer looks right up my alley!

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d say I would be pretty safe to bet that the acting winners will be: Hawke, Close, Driver (the most iffy due to the lack of love of his film) & King.

I think Richard E Grant will win Supporting Male

ReplyCopy URL
    Keth
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s nice to see Raul Castillo getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actor and the other nods for “We the Animals” – one of my favorite films this year.

This will probably be Castillo’s only recognition this award season, and he will have to settle for just the nomination, but I’m glad he was noticed.

2019 Gold Derby Film Awards

Raul Castillo for Best Supporting Actor in "We the Animals"

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

Foreign language category is glorious. Ethan Hawke needs to start his winning streak here to get that Oscar nomination for a great performance.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Marco B..
    ReplyCopy URL
    smurty11
    Participant
    Topics:

Sundance hit, Critically acclaimed, one of the highest-per-screen average of the year, lots of media coverage

And most importantly: Scott Rudin.

Underestimate Eighth Grade’s Oscar chances at your own peril!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Everyone is out here stanning Ethan Hawke and while I loved his performance, I feel like everyone forgot about Joaquin Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here. It’s probably my favorite Leading Actor performance so far this year and even though I doubt it will happen I would love for him to win and I wish he was a stronger contender in this awards season.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have seen a few more of the films that are nominated, so now I have seen four of the six Best Female Lead nominees (Close, Collette, Fisher and Mulligan). Mulligan is definitely the one I am rooting for. (haven’t seen Support the Girls or Madeline’s Madeline).

I saw Searching and John Cho was terrific in it! I didn’t really like You Were Never Really Here, preferred Phoenix’s performance in his other indie, Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far On Foot, but I acknowledge that Phoenix gave a ferocious performance in the former. While I had problems with First Reformed on the whole (Schrader isn’t a favorite director; he’s a better writer than a director), Hawke is the reason to see the movie and he’s marvelous. Any of these 3 would be deserving winners. (haven’t seen the other two nominees’ films).

I have seen four of the Best Feature nominees (8th Grade, First Reformed, Leave No Trace, and You Were Never Really Here) – If Beale Street Could Talk doesn’t open here for a few more weeks. Of the four I have seen I love 8th Grade the best.

I want Wildlife to win Best First Feature so much!

I have only seen 1 of the Supporting Female nominees (Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie) – she belongs in the Female Lead category, so I find her nomination puzzling in this category.

I would love to see We the Animals and hope it becomes available either on demand or on DVD.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.