Home Forums Movies 2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 206 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
linecelts
SHT L
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The nominations come out almost the earliest – other than Gothams – for these awards and it’s always interesting to look at them once the rest of the awards season has been shaping up.

I think If Beale Street Could Talk is the front-runner for Best Film, Best Director, Best Supporting Actress – it was snubbed for Best Screenplay (???). Sadly it’s looking like Beale Street isn’t going to get a BP or Best Director nomination at the Oscars (I hope I am wrong about this).

There are very few front-runners nominated in the acting categories – Glenn Close, Regina King, and Richard E Grant – with Ethan Hawke as a possibility.

I have Hereditary in my prediction for Best First Film but I’m not so sure. Sorry To Bother You, We the Animals, Wildlife and The Tale all could win.

It’s the only place Carey Mulligan’s superb performance made it in. Regina Hall won NYFCC but hasn’t factored elsewhere. Elsie Fisher got a GG nomination. Glenn Close won the GG and is nominated for SAG and I think will win the Oscar. Toni Collette has won many critics prizes but hasn’t factored in the precursors much.

Ethan Hawke, Glenn Close, Richard E Grant and Regina King seem like locks to me in the acting categories.

Still stunned that Suspiria got the Robert Altman Award!

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if Toni Collette or anybody other than Glenn Close will win here as Collette beat Close at the Gothams. However, Gothams are chosen by a jury of five people. We may have a repeat of when Brie Larson beat Cate Blanchett at Gothams but then Cate Blanchett won the Spirit Awards as she was winning everything else.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Still stunned that Suspiria got the Robert Altman Award!

Why?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I was expecting it to go to a more high profile movie, such as Beale Street or BlacKkKlansman, and didn’t see it coming at all. Did you expect Suspiria to win it?

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Feature
    1. First Reformed
    2. Beale Street
    3. Leave No Trace
    4. Eighth Grade
    5. You Were Never Really Here

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

I was expecting it to go to a more high profile movie, such as Beale Street or BlacKkKlansman, and didn’t see it coming at all. Did you expect Suspiria to win it?

Suspiria wasn’t going to get the respect it deserved during award season so I’m glad they sought to give it a special prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I wish Paul Dano could win for Wildlife in the Best First Feature category but I am predicting Ari Aster will win for Hereditary.

I wish Carey Mulligan would win in a stunning shocker for Wildlife, but it’s a toss-up between Glenn Close and Toni Collette, and I can’t figure out what they will do.

Ethan Hawke, Richard E Grant and Regina King are definitely winning their Indie Spirit categories.

I am predicting – and hoping – If Beale Street Could Talk wins for Best Feature and Best Director. Strange it isn’t nominated for it’s brilliant screenplay though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

If it wasn’t for that GG win, I’d predict Toni Collette here. But because ISA voters have become sheep in recent years they’ll vote Close.
    Fuck, how do I hate that sheep mentality!

So you’re mad Annette Bening lost to Isabelle Huppert there?

ReplyCopy URL
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

If it wasn’t for that GG win, I’d predict Toni Collette here. But because ISA voters have become sheep in recent years they’ll vote Close.

Fuck, how do I hate that sheep mentality!

They’re no THAT sheep. Usually in supporting they sometimes choose the Oscar snub over the nominee. Ben Foster over Lucas Hedges. Shailene Woodley over Janet McTeer. Michelle Williams was also snubbed in Supporting for MBS. This year Melissa was also snubbed. So they’re not That sheep.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I keep on changing my mind about Best Female Lead – they do seem to go with the Oscar winner in recent years and that would mean Glenn Close; while I didn’t like Toni Collette’s performance lots of others did including lots of critics groups so I could see them going with her instead. I keep on changing my mind. If I were an Indie Spirit voter I would vote for Carey Mulligan but she has no chance at all and I know it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

They’re no THAT sheep. Usually in supporting they sometimes choose the Oscar snub over the nominee. Ben Foster over Lucas Hedges. Shailene Woodley over Janet McTeer. Michelle Williams was also snubbed in Supporting for MBS. This year Melissa was also snubbed. So they’re not That sheep.

It is true about nominations because only a handful of people vote on those but for winners even a normal person can vote if he/she pays the required amount of money to be a member. That’s why in recent years they always go with the biggest Oscar contender among the nominees. Lucas Hedges is the only exception I remember. Gothams are far better than them.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t remember a year in which none of the Best Film nominees got Oscar BP nominations – in fact only two films got any nominations (First Reformed for Original Screenplay, and Beale Street for Adapted Screenplay, Supporting Actress and Score).

None of the Best Director nominees are Oscar nominees.

Curiously Barry Jenkins was not nominated for Best Screenplay; two Oscar nominees made it: Can You Ever Forgive Me? and First Reformed.

Only 4 actors got Oscar nominations: Glenn Close, Regina King, Adam Driver, and Richard E Grant. (Melissa McCarthy was not nominated)

3 of their Documentary nominees got Oscar nominations: Hale County This Morning, This Evening, Minding the Gap and Of Fathers and Sons.

None of their editing or cinematography nominees got Oscar nominees.

It’s going to be a really interesting Indie Spirit awards. I am most interested to see if they give it to someone else (probably Toni Collette) rather than Oscar front-runner Glenn Close?

My current predictions:

Best Film: If Beale Street Could Talk
    Best First Film: Hereditary
    Best Director: Barry Jenkins, If Beale Street Could Talk
    Best Screenplay: Paul Schrader, First Reformed
    Best First Screenplay: Bo Burnham, Eighth Grade
    Best Female Lead: Toni Collette, Hereditary
    Best Male Lead: Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
    Best Supporting Female: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
    Best Supporting Male: Richard E Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Best Editing: Joe Brini, You Were Never Really Here
    Best Cinematography: Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, Suspiria
    Best Documentary: Minding the Gap
    Best Foreign Film: Roma

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

What are the chances of a Beale Street sweep where it wins all 3 of its nominations? It did the best in nominations with the Oscar so I think it easily wins for Regina King and takes home Picture and Director. Moonlight also from Barry Jenkins, pulled off a clean sweep of the Spirits, but that had 5 nominations (not counting its Robert Altman award win without other nominees).

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

What are the chances of a Beale Street sweep where it wins all 3 of its nominations? It did the best in nominations with the Oscar so I think it easily wins for Regina King and takes home Picture and Director. Moonlight also from Barry Jenkins, pulled off a clean sweep of the Spirits, but that had 5 nominations (not counting its Robert Altman award win without other nominees).

Sorry if I confused you with someone else, but didn’t you say you were a voting member of the Independent Spirit Awards? I’d be interesting in knowing if you’ve heard anything from your fellow voters about how they’re voting.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am predicting Beale Street will win all 3 of its categories.

I am most interested in Glenn Close vs. Toni Collette; I would cast my vote if I had one for Carey Mulligan but I am thinking Collette will win. Close doesn’t have much in her filmography that is independent so I don’t they will give it to her just because she is expected to win the Oscar the next day.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.