Home Forums Movies 2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 206 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
linecelts
SHT L
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Madeline’s Madeline on request from my library but it will take time for the request to be filled. I have seen Close, Collette, Fisher, Hall, and Mulligan and I had a vote it would def. go to Mulligan.

I have only seen Cho, Hawke and Phoenix; Hawke is the best of the three for me. (Wish Stephan James was in this category).

Supporting Female I have only seen two: King and McKenzie. Supporting Male i Have seen four: Driver, Grant, Hamilton and Washington. Would love to see Raul Castillo’s performance.

I have seen all five Best Feature nominees: Beale Street is by far my favorite. Only Hereditary and Wildlife in the First Feature category.

My very worst category is First Screenplay, as I have only seen Eighth Grade.

Wish all these films were more accessible.

FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Elsie Fisher gave a good and winning performance in Eighth Grade but I think what Helena Howard did in Madeline’s Madeline was just beyond and went to places most of the nominated performances at the Oscars did not go, and I wish she received more recognition for it. I wish she had won Breakthrough Actor at the Gothams because I think she’s going to be a real future talent.

Thank you! Everyone talking about Close/Collette/Fisher/Mulligan when they should be talking about Hall and Howard!

Finally some common sense.

SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you! Everyone talking about Close/Collette/Fisher/Mulligan when they should be talking about Hall and Howard! Finally some common sense.

Can we talk about Molly Parker and Miranda July as well? IMO, Molly Parker deserves Best Supporting Actress and I still can’t believe that the critics who would be the ones to be pushing for a unconventional movie like this ignored her.

I have Madeline’s Madeline on request from my library but it will take time for the request to be filled. I have seen Close, Collette, Fisher, Hall, and Mulligan and I had a vote it would def. go to Mulligan. I have only seen Cho, Hawke and Phoenix; Hawke is the best of the three for me. (Wish Stephan James was in this category). Supporting Female I have only seen two: King and McKenzie. Supporting Male i Have seen four: Driver, Grant, Hamilton and Washington. Would love to see Raul Castillo’s performance. I have seen all five Best Feature nominees: Beale Street is by far my favorite. Only Hereditary and Wildlife in the First Feature category. My very worst category is First Screenplay, as I have only seen Eighth Grade. Wish all these films were more accessible.

Accessibility really is a problem for so many people. I think with all the hate coming at Netflix and Amazon being considered for Oscars, at least those avenues make it easier for people to have access to these sort of films. I will warn you that Madeline’s Madeline is not a conventional film and a very visceral experience. At least I found it to be.

FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Parker was in fine form, but I think I preferred July, who really brought it home for me. She just barely misses my top 5 in the supporting category. But, yes, the fact that these two performances, and the editing and cinematography, did not make more of a dent this season is a big disappointment. I was not a fan of the overall film, but ignoring it almost completely was not okay either!

Owl-Always-watching
    Participant
    Topics:

To vote you are not mandated to see all . However I personally try watching all the nominees . Specially that they made it easy to watch all screener.Only movie that wasn’t available was Burning. Which I’m renting.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw J. Smith Cameron’s beautiful Spirit nominated (for Best Supporting Female) performance in Nancy. She plays the mother of a daughter who has been missing for 30 years. It’s a superb acting performance. Director-writer Christina Choe’s script is nominated for Best First Screenplay and she shows enormous promise; I hope she gets to make more films in the future. Her direction is assured and her script is excellent. Andrea Riseborough was really good as Nancy, Steve Buscemi and John Leguiazamo are in fine form in supporting roles.

I still don’t get why Thomasin McKenzie is nominated for Best Supporting Female (she’s a lead). I have now seen three of the nominated performances in that category (haven’t seen A Bread Factory or Private Life yet). Rooting for Regina King but love J. Smith Cameron as well!

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Hope Collette wins here. Close will win Oscar anyway, let the other actress win the Spirit.

Close’s Gotham loss was entirely about signaling support for Collette this season. She became a non-factor unfortunately. Close will be crowned as they did McDormand and a host of other Oscar nominated Best Actress winners.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

MultipleOscarWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

The only good thing about the Independent Spirit these days are the nominations. They wait to see a consensus and Oscar nominations to reward winners. When a non Oscar nominee beats another who is,it’s because the nominated one at the Oscars has no chance at winning. They should reward right after they announce nominees.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^most of the categories this year have no Oscar nominees, so it will be interesting to see who wins in those categories. I also think they may not reward the Oscar nominees. I love Regina King but I sure loved J. Smith Cameron in Nancy (Thomasin McKenzie is such a huge category fraud I can’t get behind her winning; I do however wish she was nominated for Best Female Lead).

gatorfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I have made a very difficult yet what I consider mature decision. I will be reluctantly voting for Hereditary as Best First Feature even though I hated the movie. Why? Because lesser of 2 evils, that’s sadly why.

Sorry to Bother You is in my opinion the Donald Trump of this category, an unbelievably offensive, tone-deaf, incoherent, stupid mess that has no business even making it as far as it did. Hereditary Clinton is well, you know, the Hillary, where I really dislike the film and find it very tiring for the soulless corruption and having what was a cliched script with nothing fresh or interesting done with the old horror tropes it blandly recycled. I’ve already made my thoughts on Collette’s acting clear enough times I don’t want to get into that again.

Still, while I will see Wildlife for Carey Mulligan and the Cinematography which were also nominated by the Spirits, I recognize voting for it in First Feature would be a Jill Stein-esque move, where regardless of where my real passion is at by voting for it I just make it easier for the biggest villain STBY/DJT to win because it would be one less vote they needed in order to do so. Wildlife and none of the other Spirit FF nominees have the hype and passion from supporters to take down STBY. Except Hereditary, of course. It is like a reverse Sophie’s Choice, where instead of picking which of your 2 beloved kids to save you are picking which of your 2 loathed kids to murder. I will murder the Boots Riley (who was ignorantly defending the dictator Maduro and attacking Guiado on Twitter by the way) film and reward the Ari Aster film, purely as the lesser of 2 evils.

I feel like the buzz for The Tale has completely died, but does anyone think that has a shot at winning anything at the Spirit Awards? Poor Oren Moverman is nominated as a producer twice in First Feature for The Tale and Wildlife yet I don’t think he has a shot at winning for either.

I understand where you’re coming from. A small part of me is tempted to do that with the International Film category. I absolutely HATED “Roma” and am very tempted to vote for “The Favourite” as a “block the other camp” vote since it’s Roma’s biggest competition.

However, in the end I will likely vote for what I think is the best as my mentality has always been: “It’s only a two party system if you allow it to be.” Out of the 3 International Film nominees I’ve seen so far I liked “The Favourite” the best so it could get my vote regardless. I still have to watch “Burning” and “Shoplifters” though.

“Sorry To Bother You” is the only First Feature nominee I have yet to watch so I can’t comment on it yet (I plan on watching it tonight) however right now I’m leaning towards voting for “Wildlife” as I feel it’s the best of the bunch.

I hope everyone is doing well.

First Place- 2018 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The Spirits are the only awards show left before the Oscars (not including guilds). There will definitely be different winners in almost every category than the next day’s Oscars. Glenn Close and Regina King could conceivably win both but it’s possible they will only win one or the other as well (unlikely they lose both though imo). This is the one award that I think Richard E Grant will win for his superb performance in Can You Ever Forgive Me?

It will be fun to watch some different winners!

Owl-Always-watching
    Participant
    Topics:

Voting is closed . Below are my choices. I don’t go by what the consensus is; even if my choices aren’t expected to win. I did watch every movie nominated . I went with what I liked .

Best picture – Eight grade . I was expecting to hate movie Bc I found trailer annoying . I fell for its charm while watching .
    Best first film – sorry to bother you. Even though I was not a fan of third act . I still think it was well made , different and original.

Best director – Tamara Jenkins . Private life. In this category , I can honestly say no one stood out for me. I chose Private life Bc on paper the character sounded awful n she made it that you don’t hate them (and yes I know actors had a part in me not hating them)

best screenplay- can you ever forgive me? Can’t beliebe this script not winning any more awards . It’s basically a two person movie.

best actor – Ethan Hawke – first reformed – if his performance didn’t work . Then movie wouldn’t had worked . Since he is in most scenes if not all.

best actress – Carey mulligan – Wild Life. This is the performance that has stayed with me the most. There is a scene that I still think of , once in awhile. It’s a shame that they didn’t have a better distributor.

best supporting actor – Richard Grant. Can you ever forgive me. He should be the actual Oscar winner. He was great.

best supporting actress . Another category were I wasn’t that impress with any. Even though I life girl of leave no trace. She is lead. Disqualified in my eyes. I went with Tyne Daly . I enjoyed a bread factory part 1 more than part 2. She was my fav part of movie.

Cinematography. This category all of them were great but I chose Wild Life for its beautiful blue/purplish palate.

Editing -American animals . Not big fan of movie . But editing was very good.

Best documentary- Minding the gap. This was a great movie and from such a young filmmaker. Really wish will win oscar but I’m sure RBG will win . Mr Roger will win this.

international movie . This was a hard category Bc in other year any of them would have won . I voted for Shoplifters Bc it’s the one that surprised me the most by the end. I was not expecting the ways the story end. I’m sure Roma will win. But I’m basically sick of hearing n been pushing down my throat how it’s a masterpiece and all. Be nice to share wealth .

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^thank you for voting for Carey Mulligan, she was amazing in Wildlife (:

Did you see Nancy? J. Smith Cameron was superb in it.

Very few of your choices will win but I like that you made up your own mind in a very independent manner! (:

gatorfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Hi Everyone:

Now that voting is closed here’s what I voted for. While I could explain how I arrived at my decisions category by category that would take up a lot of space. If anyone’s interested in hearing how I made my choices in a few categories let me know and I would be happy to explain.

1. Best Feature: Eighth Grade
    2. Best Director: Tamara Jenkins-Private Life
    3. Best Male Lead: Daveed Diggs- Blindspotting
    4. Best Female Lead: Glenn Close- The Wife
    5. Best Supporting Male: Josh Hamilton- Eighth Grade
    6. Best Supporting Female: Kayli Carter- Private Life
    7. Best Screenplay: Private Life
    8. Best First Feature: Wildlife
    9. Best First Screenplay: Eighth Grade
    10. Best Documentary: Minding The Gap
    11. Best Cinematography: Wildlife
    12. Best Editing: American Animals
    13. Best International Film: I abstain. Due to a hectic time at work this past week I only got part way through Shoplifters and didn’t get a chance to watch Burning.

First Place- 2018 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion’ is closed to new replies.