Home Forums Movies 2020 New York Film Critics Circle Awards (Make Your Predictions)

2020 New York Film Critics Circle Awards (Make Your Predictions)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
Salsa Club
Eddy Q
JackO
  • Profile picture
    Paul Sheehan
    Topics:

We still don’t have a date for the announcement of the winners but know that the gala ceremony will take place on January 7 (that will be a busy day as both the DGA and PGA reveal their nominations and Oscar nominations voting closes).

Which films and performers will be cited by the NYFCC?

• This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Paul Sheehan.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by Chris Beachum.
    Profile picture
    Salsa Club
    Topics:

Hmmmm

Picture: Parasite
    Director: Lulu Wang
    Actor: Antonio Banderas
    Actress: Awkwafina
    Supp. Actor: Willem Dafoe
    Supp. Actress: Laura Dern
    Screenplay: Marriage Story

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Film: Marriage Story (I’ll save Parasite for my LAFCA & NSFC predix)
    Director: Bong Joon-ho – Parasite
    Actor: Adam Driver – Marriage Story
    Actress: Awkwafina – The Farewell
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino – The Irishman
    Supporting Actress: Margot Robbie – Bombshell & Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Screenplay: Noah Baumbach – Marriage Story

I want to predict Dafoe but he could fall victim to category confusion like Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Master and Viola Davis for Fences, neither of whom won any major critics prizes despite giving hugely acclaimed performances. I suspect a number of critics considered them leads, as they will Dafoe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

This is more difficult than usual since there are a few movies that have gotten great critical notices but none that is runaway favorite. Not too long ago I thought Marriage Story was best positioned here but Parasite and Irishman lurk. They do enjoy being FIRST! and setting stage of the season so a lot of early faves may win if none of the late breakers explode out of the gate.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

They do enjoy being FIRST! and setting stage of the season so a lot of early faves may win if none of the late breakers explode out of the gate.

This is kinda why I’m expecting them to go with Nyong’o for Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

I remember when they basically gave everything to American Hustle in 2013 only for it to eventually crash. What a mess

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Seven.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Ah, one of my fave awards.

I think they’ll go heavily with The Irishman. A very, NY film.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I remember when they basically gave everything to American Hustle in 2013. What a mess

They filmed parts of it in NY.
    People often tell me this doesn’t matter.
    Uh huh. It can and it does.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

This is kinda why I’m expecting them to go with Nyong’o for Actress

That seems like more of an LA pick to me. Just a hunch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Salsa Club
    Topics:

You have to remember that you have critics like David Erhlich and Stephanie Zacharek deciding on these awards..

They have real high brow, indie taste, which is not Us or Joker this year

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

Film: Marriage Story (I’ll save Parasite for my LAFCA & NSFC predix) Director: Bong Joon-ho – Parasite Actor: Adam Driver – Marriage Story Actress: Awkwafina – The Farewell Supporting Actor: Al Pacino – The Irishman Supporting Actress: Margot Robbie – Bombshell & Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Screenplay: Noah Baumbach – Marriage Story I want to predict Dafoe but he could fall victim to category confusion like Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Master and Viola Davis for Fences, neither of whom won any major critics prizes despite giving hugely acclaimed performances. I suspect a number of critics considered them leads, as they will Dafoe.

can somebody tell me how they categorized  their actors? Do they just feel like the actor belongs in that category and just vote for them in this category? Do they’ll even have nominees or people just gonna vote and the person with the most votes win? I don’t get critics circle awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Salsa Club
    Topics:

Dafoe is being campaigned in supporting so I don’t know why there’d be any confusion on NYFCC’s end. They gave it to him once and they’ll do it again

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Dafoe is being campaigned in supporting so I don’t know why there’d be any confusion on NYFCC’s end.

Because they’re critics so they’re less likely to fall for the campaigning tactics. Not that they never do, mind, and all critics groups have awarded category fraud at one time or another, but we have to consider the possibility that some members might not buy the supporting placements of Dafoe or Pitt, for example. Just a few years ago the LA Critics awarded Patricia Arquette their lead actress prize for Boyhood. Rooney Mara won no major supporting awards for Carol despite giving arguably the most acclaimed performance being campaigned as supporting. It’s pretty easy to see why.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Eddy Q.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Eddy Q.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Salsa Club
    Topics:

Because they’re critics so they’re less likely to fall for the campaigning tactics. Not that they never do, mind, and all critics groups have awarded category fraud at one time or another, but we have to consider the possibility that some members might not buy the supporting placements of Dafoe or Pitt, for example. Just a few years ago the LA Critics awarded Patricia Arquette their lead actress prize for Boyhood. Rooney Mara won no major supporting awards for Carol despite giving arguably the most acclaimed performance being campaigned as supporting. It’s pretty easy to see why.

I pray they don’t mess this up for Dafoe. Having seen the film, there is a strong case for him going supporting and Pattinson going lead. The film is through Pattinson’s eyes and deals with his dark past while Dafoe just exists as his manager to annoy the heck out of him

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marcelo
    Topics:

Film:The Irishman
    Director: Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
    Actor: Jonathan Price, The Two Popes
    Actress: René Zellweger, Judy
    Sup.Actor: Al Pacino, The Irishman
    Sup. Actress: Zhao Shuzhen, The Farewell
    Screenplay: Marriage Story

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.