Home Forums Movies 2019 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress- Battle of the Redheads?

2019 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress- Battle of the Redheads?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Foolio
DaKardii
Im_not_creati..
  • DaKardii
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on what I’ve seed so far on this forum’s discussions on the 2019 Oscars, it looks like Best Supporting Actress may well be a “Battle of the Redheads” one year from now.

You have Amy Adams for ‘Backseat.’ She’s not a natural redhead, nor is she a redhead in the movie. But she is a redhead in almost every film she’s in.

You have Jessica Chastain for ‘The Death and Life of John F. Donovan.’ She’s both a natural redhead and a redhead in the movie.

You have Nicole Kidman for ‘Boy Erased.’ She is a natural redhead, despite not being a redhead in most of her films, including this one.

You have Margot Robbie for ‘Mary, Queen of Scots.’ She’s not a natural redhead, but she is a redhead in the movie.

So right there you have four out of five.

And then there’s the possibility that all five nominees end up being redheads in one form or another. The dark horse fifth redhead is Isla Fisher for ‘The Starling.’ Right now, the film doesn’t yet have a release date and is still in pre-production, so it could be pushed back into 2019 unless they pull off a ‘The Post’ and get post-production finished early. But it has a very promising director (Dome Karukoski) and a very, very promising screenplay (it was near the top of the Black List at one point). Should that screenplay translate onto film well, Fisher will become a major contender.

Any comments?

Im_not_creative_enough
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Kidman would be nominated for Boy Erased. Her role (and Russell Crowe’s role, for that matter) looks like just a “the parent of-” role, nothing too interesting. This movie would probably be built upon the rivalry between Hedges and Edgraton, which are the actors I think would the Awards buzz in this flick.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheRedBoy
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Kidman would be nominated for Boy Erased. Her role (and Russell Crowe’s role, for that matter) looks like just a “the parent of-” role, nothing too interesting. This movie would probably be built upon the rivalry between Hedges and Edgraton, which are the actors I think would the Awards buzz in this flick.

“The parent of” type roles score supporting nominations all the time, including Kidman’s most recent nod for Lion. Her role in Boy Erased seems positively ripe with potential for Oscar-bait scenes, and her career’s probably in the best shape it’s ever been in (which will help come campaign season).

And how is Kidman playing “the mother of—“ in Boy Erased any different from Adams playing “the wife of—“ in Backseat?

Chastain is the one I’m more worried about, as Xavier Dolan’s never had any Oscar recognition of his work and Chastain has a tendency to end up in the “just missed” pile when the nominations are revealed.

I have a feeling at least one of the films highlighted in the first post will end up bombing with critics. Dolan’s most recent release was only moderately well received, and a Cheney biopic might not go over well at all in this political climate…

Plus, it seems like things are also shaping up for a “battle of the palace intrigue films” with Mary Queen of Scots and The Favourite. Both will have a lot of attention, but I’m not sure both will be big Oscar players. Robbie probably has a baitier role than The Favourite’s Colman or Weisz, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    KarlVillalobos
    Participant
    Topics:

Consider Sissy Spacek then yes it would be a battle of redheads.

ReplyCopy URL
    sitizoner
    Participant
    Topics:

More importantly, who the fuck cares about hair colour?

ReplyCopy URL
    Noah Arlington
    Participant
    Topics:

The only redheads I see getting in are Amy Adams and Jessica Chastain but who knows what will happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t see Jessica Chastain getting in. There’s a bunch of supporting players in that movie that she would have to be the standout. Adams and Kidman seem like safe bets at the moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

If we’re presuming Dolan’s film is an awards contender we might as well throw Susan Sarandon and her flaming red locks in the ring.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Next year Amy Adams will get her due in supporting category for playing the same role Jennifer Connelly, Marcia Gay Harden, Alicia Vikander and all the others played before her. The role that all the Oscar voters love because it’s close to their hearts. A long-suffering supporting wife.

ReplyCopy URL
    GraemeONeil
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m so tired of these speculations over movies/performances no one has seen. Spend your time more wisely.

ReplyCopy URL
    DaKardii
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on what I’ve seed so far on this forum’s discussions on the 2019 Oscars, it looks like Best Supporting Actress may well be a “Battle of the Redheads” one year from now.

You have Amy Adams for ‘Backseat.’ She’s not a natural redhead, nor is she a redhead in the movie. But she is a redhead in almost every film she’s in.

You have Jessica Chastain for ‘The Death and Life of John F. Donovan.’ She’s both a natural redhead and a redhead in the movie.

You have Nicole Kidman for ‘Boy Erased.’ She is a natural redhead, despite not being a redhead in most of her films, including this one.

You have Margot Robbie for ‘Mary, Queen of Scots.’ She’s not a natural redhead, but she is a redhead in the movie. So right there you have four out of five.

And then there’s the possibility that all five nominees end up being redheads in one form or another.

The dark horse fifth redhead is Isla Fisher for ‘The Starling.’ Right now, the film doesn’t yet have a release date and is still in pre-production, so it could be pushed back into 2019 unless they pull off a ‘The Post’ and get post-production finished early. But it has a very promising director (Dome Karukoski) and a very, very promising screenplay (it was near the top of the Black List at one point). Should that screenplay translate onto film well, Fisher will become a major contender. Any comments?

Update: Chastain’s not happening. Xavier Dolan just announced that he had to cut her character from the movie due to time constraints.

And yes, I do now recognize the possibility of Susan Sarandon being nominated for ‘The Death and Life of John F. Donovan’ and Sissy Spacek being nominated for ‘Old Man and the Gun.’

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Update: Chastain’s not happening. Xavier Dolan just announced that he had to cut her character from the movie due to time constraints.

She could happen for George & Tammy if the film is good. The role – a real-life country legend – is very baity and the director is a former nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Red heads are in I guess. I’ve read Amy Adams say when she was blonde she had trouble getting jobs. She was either considered for the dumb girl or the bitchy one. When she died her hair red they suddenly started thinking of her as quirky and complicated.

I always thought The Help was a bit oddly cast since they had three redheads. It was almost like the story was about southern maids and how they dealt with redheads. I guess if you count Allison Janney and Sissy Spacek as redheads it just adds to the total!

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

She could happen for George & Tammy if the film is good. The role – a real-life country legend – is very baity and the director is a former nominee.

Sounds like a Best Actress push for her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Sounds like a Best Actress push for her.

Oops, I forgot this was about Supporting Actress only!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.