Home Forums Movies 2019 Oscars: Short Film Categories

2019 Oscars: Short Film Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Jenna Cameras
nahborghi
  • Luc Rochette
    Participant
    Topics:

I know it’s nothing for the jury but for me it is:

Live action short films director’s age:

Madre: Rodrigo Sorogoyen: 37 years old.

Fauve: Jérémy Comte: 28 years old.

Marguerite: Marianne Farley: Born in late 70th (40-45) years old.

Skin: Guy Nattiv: 45 years old.

Detainment: Vincent Lambe: 38 years old.

I’d give the Oscar to Comte cause it’s a really close call this year. He’s young, he was that age just 13 years from now. I hear everyone talking about childhood movie this year, yep ok! If you watch the interviews of Comte you can learn that the kids he trained were not actors. Can you just see the masterpiece behind that. On the other hand all the other actors are professionnel actors who have been playing for plenty of years. This movie is the more realistic piece of beauty I have seen! He also won 70 prices worldwide, that’s just mindblowing.

Go Fauve

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Luc Rochette.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

I found one without subtitles, I speak a little spanish so it wasn’t a big problem for me.

http://lasteles.com/cortometraje-madre-corto-espanol-nominado-a-los-oscars?fbclid=IwAR1Pa4zpiNCegPsa0LEjPrGk0C4aVsZJ4AuVXjP0khEmAUOuFPUYZGhSOSg

Thank you. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

The previous link no longer works so here’s a new one for Late Afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QihTyHW56_4

ReplyCopy URL
    Jenna Cameras
    Participant
    Topics:

Watch our in-depth slugfest! We spent eight minutes on animated, sixteen on documentary and eighteen on live-action:

That was great! Lots of insight and background information.

My takeaways:

For Animated Short, Bao is seen as the likely winner, with Late Afternoon the potential spoiler to a Disney-Pixar win.

For Documentary Short, Period. End of Sentence is seen as the likely winner, with End Game as a contender, and Lifeboat also in the mix.

For Live Action Short, Skin is seen as the likely winner, with Marguerite as a contender.

I looked again at the ShortsTV voting, here,

https://shorts.tv/theoscarshorts/

Animated Short: Late Afternoon 1st on 32%; with Bao 2nd on 21%.

Documentary Short: Period. End of Sentence 1st on 32%; with Lifeboat on 26%.

Live Action Short: Skin 1st on 48%; with Marguerite on 26%.

The Gold Derby slugfest predictions and the ShortsTV voting seem to match up fairly well.

Tony Ruiz’s opening comments about the effect Late Afternoon had on him puts into words the experience it stirred in me, and I think I’ll stick with it as my prediction. It’s my passion pick.

Period. End of Sentence has so much going for it, and ticks so many boxes, that I think it will prevail.

Not having seen all the Live Action nominees, and after watching the slugfest, I think I will go with Skin.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Could someone please explain to me the appeal of Skin? I hated it and I liked and loved all of the others, especially Detainment. I would genuinely like to know what people liked about Skin?

Did nobody else find Period. End of Sentence as repetitive as I did? Everything they said in the film was contained in the first 3 minutes and then they kept repeating it for the remainder of the film.

Since these 3 categories often wind up going to lower ranked films each year I am sticking with End Game, Late Afternoon and Detainment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jenna Cameras
    Participant
    Topics:

Skin does seem to attract very mixed reactions. I’m tempted to switch to Marguerite as a default winner.

And am slightly tempted to switch from Period. End of Sentence to Lifeboat.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Riley Chow. Reason: Removed redundant block quote
    ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally saw the Doc shorts and here’s my basic assessment.

END GAME and LIFEBOAT are perfectly respectable films, tackling sober (if highly familiar) subjects and allowing the strengths of the personalities involved to carry the viewer along to leave a powerful and poignant conclusion. The big problem is that the subjects are highly familiar and the subject of nominees in the past, as well as docs in general.

I was really bothered by the re-enactments in BLACK SHEEP–primarily because they created more distance between the audience and the narrator, instead of creating an immersive quality that brings them closer. He’s such a compelling speaker that I was severely disappointed that they felt they had to resort to actors and staged confrontations instead of coming up with a more creative solution.

NIGHT AT THE GARDEN is unusual in that most nominated doc shorts have much longer run times, but the archival footage (provided without commentary) is chilling and highly relevant to today’s political landscape.

But I think the best is the one I already knew from before. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE does what the best docs often do: explore a commonplace or marginal subject but through an original prism, and this film does it beautifully with insight and humor. It brings up issues of privilege and equality, progressive ideals and feminist rights and economic independence, and all while dealing with a topic that most western audiences probably take for granted without a second thought.

It’s also the film that provides the most uplift out of the 5, but is never glib or pandering. It’s a serious look at an important global subject, but feels fresh in every frame. I hope it wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone know when these will be available on Amazon or Google?

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I finally saw all the Live Action short nominees, and I have to say that it’s the weakest slate of films in a long time in this category.

Three of them have one thing in common: FEUVE, MOTHER, and DETAINMENT use Kids-in-Crisis as a starting-off point, but do absolutely nothing with it. FEUVE is essentially a Murphy’s Law visualization of a Terrible Day, MOTHER is a wanna-be-bravura exercise in ratcheting up meaningless tension, and DETAINMENT is a gauche exercise in exploitation via True Crime reenactment. Nowhere in any of them do we see them address a theme or explore characterization. Two of the films deal with close friends, but the nature of friendship and its facets or tensions aren’t really explored. There’s no insight into parental relationships with kids in any of them. There is some very good acting in the Irish and Spanish films, and some gorgeous camera work in the Canadian one, but ultimately the films are shocking and tragic but not about anything. They jolt your sensibilities, but they’re empty.

Which is why SKIN and its kids stands out because it *is* about something: cycles of violence and the way bigotry is taught by example. While this isn’t new, it’s still a *theme*, not just a premise or anecdote. Of course, it’s got its Karmameter cranked up to 11 and so resembles a Twilight Zone episode more than anything, but it’s still vivid, creative and memorable.

Ultimately, MARGEURITE seems in the best position to win because even though its pace is torturously glacial and its ending you can see 3 miles out, it isn’t a downer. It’s sweet and has a lovely little moment of deeply-felt empathy. Not the best of the 5 (I still think SKIN is, despite its flaws) but the one that distances itself from the others by tone and message.

So, the best in each short category:

PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE.
    SKIN
    WEEKENDS

I think all 3 of them have a shot at winning, but I’d say the doc is the only one who might be considered a front-runner.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Filmatelist.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going with Skin, Bao and Period. End of Sentence.

I don’t think I’ve ever had reason to consider which child murder was my favourite before watching the live action shorts. I’m going with Skin as it’s the most complete story. It has a start. then something happens then there’s a payoff to that. I would say the other four are lacking payoff, something happens then you are left to dwell on that. Marguerite is the alternative as it offers something different.

I would vote for One Small Step in animated short and am tempted to pick it. I think it’s the sweetest (and also most clichéd). But Dear Basketball has left me trigger shy to bet against a more visible front runner, and Bao is better than Dear Basketball. Don’t think Weekends or Animal Behavior have any chance. Late Afternoon could if the mood took them but isn’t what usually wins here.

Doc Short are all pretty bad. A Night at the Garden can’t win if people remember for a second they are voting on film making. End Game is very similar to Extremis that lost and Lifeboat similar to 4.1 Miles and Fire at Sea which lost. Black Sheep is something different but is it a documentary and it’s hard to root for anyone who’s on the screen. Which by elimination leaves Period, which is also quite flimsy but has enough USPs that should probably be enough. Really anything but A Night at the Garden could win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

WILL WIN:
    Period. End of Sentence.
    Bao
    Skin (I base it on its imdb score lol)

SHOULD WIN:
    End Game
    Bao
    Fauve (but I have seen only three from the live action ones)

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

First, let me start off by saying that this is the first year I watched the Live Action Shorts and it will not be my last. Dang, these were impressive! What actually got me to go to the theater and see them was remembering that Whiplash was a short before a feature film (fun fact).

Onto my analysis (in order of viewing). Stop if you don’t want to be SPOILED:

Madre – This pulled me in pretty quickly and kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. It felt so original to me of a concept, yet simplistic in nature and was wonderfully acted. Could you imagine being the mother in that situation? Unbelievable. I kept thinking if this was made into a feature film, I would love for Emily Blunt to play the mother. I would have loved a resolution at the end, but it gives me something to look forward to if it’s produce for feature length.

Fauve – Based on the lead character and the opening of an abandoned train, I was expecting this to be a Holocaust film, but I was wrong. I wasn’t as invested in this as I was watching Madre, as it has a slowish start and the two boys aren’t the most likable. Once the climax occurs with the “quick sand,” I thought there was going to be a twist, but everything happened as I expected. I didn’t find this emotionally appealing at all, which is much in part to the lack of development of the characters (I understand its a short, but some of the others actually had that). Too many wasted shots of the lead character walking around the concrete. Not sure this could be developed as a feature. It felt undeveloped to me.

Marguerite – Slow in pace, but rewards the audience in the end. I found it mostly predictable, but it was really well acted. It left me thinking a lot about the elderly and how lonely some of them truly are. The warmth and compassion the caregiver gives Marguerite at the end is truly the heart of the film. I don’t have much more to say on this other than it was the most pleasurable to watch and the first of which that made me tear up. At this point, Madre has my vote though.

Detainment – Let me start by saying, the controversy has no impact on my view of the film, despite me agreeing that those families affected by these true events should have consulted. Based on the title and the intro, I expected this to be a light-hearted tale of two young boys getting into mischief at the mall. I couldn’t have been more wrong. This was the best film of the bunch, in all the various aspects of filmmaking. The young actor that played Jon was I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E. His level of convincing was on par with Jacob Trembley in Room. Similarly to Madre, I was on edge the entire time and waiting for everything to unfold. What a terrible tragedy and I’m very glad the murders were brought to justice. It’s quite unsettling to watch and when they reveal that certain tapes were never released due to graphic details, it was heartbreaking to hear. Overall, I still found this to be the best of the bunch and I would vote for it.

Skin – This film was the hardest to watch because of all the hatred portrayed and the disgust I had in my stomach watching a glimpse of how the this family lived and raised their son. It felt similar to American History X with the theme, but I also got Twilight Zone vibes after the father is dumped in the street. It was definitely well-acted, but after the grocery store scene, I almost left the theater because it was so hard to watch. I’m going to have to look up what they did to his skin, because I’m not quite sure how? I understand the message the film portrays, but it was too hard to watch for me to appreciate it.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Scott.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Dead kids vs. child killers? Very disappointed by these limited, incomplete, unfulfilling live action short nominees. It’s not usually like this at all. I don’t know what mode voters were in this year, but then I guess I do. This is the kind of nihilistic, post-Trump landscape that the world exists in right now, which is why “Skin” will breeze to its easy Oscar win. It couldn’t be more nauseating and topical, and the filmmakers are probably awestruck that despite how outlandish that premise is, blackface has returned with a sad vengeance in current popular culture. Just too much. Hoping for much better with the animated shorts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pollo crudo
    Participant
    Topics:

Watch out for One Small Step on animated short. It’s the most uplifting and actually has a father everyone wants, unlike Bao’s mother. Besides, is a feminine character fulfilling an almost impossible dream, which is politically relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.