Home Forums Movies 2019 Oscars: Short Film Categories

2019 Oscars: Short Film Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Jenna Cameras
nahborghi
  • Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Animated shorts fared far better than live action shorts. The “Highly Commended” ones were pretty awful. I’ll predict the Oscar winner coming from either one of the overly sentimental ones: “Late Afternoon” vs. “One Small Step.” That could also open the door up for the “funny” nominee of the group “Animal Behaviour.” “Bao” was fine. I thought it was fairly slight when I saw it in front of “Incredibles 2” last summer. The Pixar brand gets just about anything nominated. “Weekends” was a mess both visually and thematically. Hope that one is overlooked, at least.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Detainment – Let me start by saying, the controversy has no impact on my view of the film, despite me agreeing that those families affected by these true events should have consulted. Based on the title and the intro, I expected this to be a light-hearted tale of two young boys getting into mischief at the mall. I couldn’t have been more wrong. This was the best film of the bunch, in all the various aspects of filmmaking. The young actor that played Jon was I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E. His level of convincing was on par with Jacob Trembley in Room. Similarly to Madre, I was on edge the entire time and waiting for everything to unfold. What a terrible tragedy and I’m very glad the murders were brought to justice. It’s quite unsettling to watch and when they reveal that certain tapes were never released due to graphic details, it was heartbreaking to hear. Overall, I still found this to be the best of the bunch and I would vote for it.

Thanks for articulating so well what I felt watching this film. I really want Detainment to win and not Skin (which I disliked intensely). The young actor who played John was incredible, one of the best acting performances by a child actor I have ever seen. I would only add that all the aspects of film-making came together the best in this nominee. I would be o.k. with Madre or Marguerite winning, but am hoping for Detainment – truly stunning!

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Does Animal Behaviour have a chance here?

ReplyCopy URL
    nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

Does Animal Behaviour have a chance here?

I think it’s the least likely to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Detainment was the Best Live Action Short. Vincent Lambe deserves to win his Oscar. To hell with this outrage culture that has swept the world.

I am hoping for a win for One Small Step. Although WEEKENDS won a lot of prestigious awards leading up to the Oscars. Wouldn’t be surprised if it did win.

Black Sheep was my favourite of the Documentary Shorts. I can relate.
    But since everything racial and stories revolving around race is frowned upon these days, PERIOD, END OF SENTENCE is probably gonna win. Very high profile.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

“Detainment” should only win a Razzie. “Marguerite” was lovely. “Madre” I wanted more from. Loved “Fauve” and rooting for that short film to upset. “Skin” will win the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    phinsjake
    Participant
    Topics:

Just watched all of the live action shorts, and let me just say I thought they were all great, just interesting that 4/5 have to deal with kids in an, unpleasant way. My rankings would be
    1. Skin
    2. Madre
    3. Fauve
    4. Marguerite
    5. Detainment

Honestly don’t understand the hype for Detainment on here, it was good, but not nearly as cleverly executed as the top 3 in my rankings. I enjoyed Marguerite too, very sweet and could take the Oscar just for being easier to watch. I’m rooting for either Skin or Madre to win, I think they’re both highly original and would be happy for either of their names to be announced tonight. Fauve was just a stunning view, I can’t get the shot of the two boys running down into the quicksand abyss out of my head. And I know that they didn’t release the end of the interviews or whatever, but I felt like the end of Detainment was unfinished in comparison to the visceral conclusions of the other four. I don’t care about the controversy either

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Ranking the animated shorts, I think WEEKEND is by far the best, because of all the parent/child narratives, it’s not only the most creative in its animated renderings, but it’s also the least sentimental. There’s no judgment about good/bad/happy/sad, just capturing the sensations of an expansive pair of worlds and all the strange and scary associations they evoke.

LATE AFTERNOON is next because the animation style is simpler, but the way it fluidly moves through the old lady’s memory does showcase how immersive and elusive memory itself can be.

I still dislike the impulse for Pixar to anthropomorphize *everything* in its various shorts, but comparing the two Asian-based parent/child shorts, this one has far better characterizations and superior emotions. My one complaint is that keeping the bao a bao worked just fine as metaphor so spelling it out with the appearance of the real son is obvious, unnecessary, and a little cheap.

I like the other Snowden/Fine shorts I’ve seen so while this has some funny jokes, it doesn’t have the insight of, say, Nick Park’s CREATURE COMFORTS, which does a better job of drawing connections between the Animal Behaviors and more universal ones.

So ONE SMALL STEP is last. The emotions are obvious, the trajectory is familiar, and the character design falls into the classic moon-eyed princess template. I dig the empowerment message just fine, but there’s nothing special about this short (and certainly TWEET TWEET, which is part of the Oscar collection roadshow circulating in theaters, is far better than at least these bottom two, and maybe even the Pixar).

Because the best film almost never wins in this category, but the cutest/sappiest often does, LATE or BAO are the best bets to win.

My ranking in this category is exactly the same as yours. I watched Weekends last of the five, and instantly found it to be several steps above the rest. Like you said, it’s thoroughly unsentimental and yet still highly evocative in its surreal elements of how disruptive and chaotic events can seem in a child’s mind. The animation is truly inspired, but unfortunately I think this is going to be another World of Tomorrow scenario where the most audacious nominee wins the Annie Award for Animated Short but loses the Oscar to cuteness – in this case, most likely Bao. But I could tolerate any winner except One Small Step.

ReplyCopy URL
    KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

i have just finished watching all the shorts and here is what i liked most:
    1) documentary short – Period. End of Sentence (no other movie stood out to me);
    2) animated short – Bao (Animal Behavior & Late Afternoon are tied as close second place);
    3) live action short – Marguerite (Fauve is second, Skin – third).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.