August 6, 2018 at 4:24 pm #1202603954
I’ve always had a lot of respect for the sound Oscars. It might be a bit early for this, but I like having the jump on things.
Which films do you think stand the best chance at being nominated for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing? Here are my top ten films:
1. A Quiet Place – The sound design in this film was nothing short of brilliant. Literally the entire movie was carried by it’s marvelous application of sound (and of course the performances), and so it’s very hard for me to imagine a scenario where this isn’t a nominee.
2. First Man – A film like this seems as though having exceptional sound design is a given, especially if it’s going to depict space travel and noisy space craft. Already a strong candidate.
3. Ready Player One – The race car scene alone impressed me. I hope the sound here impresses voters as well. Also feels like a strong candidate.
4. Avengers: Infinity War – The sheer technical scale of Marvel’s biggest blockbuster might propel it forward in not only VFX, but the sound categories as well. Black Panther might be the one to fill it’s spot here, but for now I’m calling this as the Marvel nominee.
5. Ad Astra – If this film really is the massive sci-fi space epic it’s expected to be, then it would be very bizarre to see it miss out in a category like Sound Editing.
6. Mission: Impossible – Fallout – I’ve heard that this film boasts some incredible sound, but it’s also likely that the Academy will continue its tradition of snubbing this franchise. As we’ve seen with the Planet of the Apes trilogy, I don’t think the Academy cares all that much about what’s deserving and what’s not sometimes.
7. Incredibles 2 – The previous movie won this award in 2005, so it’s not unlikely that this branch will go for it again. But given the seemingly strong lineup of candidates this time around, it’s also easy to imagine a scenario where Incredibles 2 just manages to miss out.
8. Black Panther – Given the expectation that Black Panther will truly be a Best Picture candidate, for a “genre film,” picking up a few below-the-line nominations like Sound Editing /Mixing is a must.
9. Annihilation – I hope that the Academy won’t totally ignore this film, but honestly I don’t see this film getting any attention anywhere except Visual Effects, sadly. Still, the potential is there.
10. A Star is Born – This film managing two sound nominations could happen, but I’d really just stick to Sound Mixing for A Star is Born.
1. A Star is Born – Given the massive buzz surrounding this movie, and the Sound Mixing branch’s affinity for musically-driven films, this is an obvious front runner.
2. A Quiet Place – This film already has the traction and conversation, and obviously the excellent work, going for it. Only time will tell if the Academy voters feel the same way.
3. First Man – The same analysis for Sound Editing. If the sound design is exceptional, and this is a Best Picture front runner, then surely the sound mixers will be recognized by the Academy as well.
4. Ad Astra – Again, nothing has been released yet, and so I’m going to have to give the same analysis here as for Sound Editing…
5. Ready Player One – The sound required here to bring the world of the OASIS to life was excellent as well, and so finding a spot here should be no hard task.
6. Mary Poppins Returns – In any other year, a film like this would be an obvious contender. However, with the presences of sound juggernauts like A Star is Born, First Man, and A Quiet Place, things get really tough. And since A Star is Born will likely already fill in the musical spot, it’s possible that Mary Poppins will be overlooked.
7. Avengers: Infinity War – Given the wide array of sounds present in the film, a Sound Mixing nod could go in hand with Editing, but I feel as though Sound Editing is a much safer bet.
8. Black Panther – Honestly, I think this film stands the same chance of getting into Sound Mixing as it does Editing. The possibility is there and it definitely has a chance, but I think it will depend on whether other films are bigger players down the line.
9. Mission: Impossible – Fallout – Again, only if the Academy corrects its snubbing streak for this series…
10. Bohemian Rhapsody – Like with Mary Poppins, this could get overshadowed by the sheer buzz of A Star is Born, which will likely be in play for Best Picture.August 7, 2018 at 9:03 am #1202604505
Being a space movie, First Man is going to automatically get nominated for both. I hope Ready Player One and A Quiet Place are remembered by year’s end, because they’re both worthy of nominations for both categories.August 7, 2018 at 9:24 am #1202604516
Mission Impossible Fallout… I see a. Win for this film.August 7, 2018 at 9:44 am #1202604535
1) First Man
2) Black Panther
3) Mission Impossible
4) Ad Astra
5) The Incredibles 2
1) First Man
2) Black Panther
3) Mary Poppins Return
4) Ad Astra
5) A Star is BornAugust 7, 2018 at 10:14 am #1202604568
We shouldn’t be counting Ad Astra for now because all reports say it gets a wide release date on January 11, 2019. No reports I’ve read said it gets a limited 2018 release date, unless I missed an article that says it does. If that’s the case, please let me know.August 7, 2018 at 12:17 pm #1202604631
We shouldn’t be counting Ad Astra for now because all reports say it gets a wide release date on January 11, 2019. No reports I’ve read said it gets a limited 2018 release date, unless I missed an article that says it does. If that’s the case, please let me know.
Well, I have heard that it’s getting a qualifying awards run in 2018, so that’s the reason I’m predicting it.August 7, 2018 at 12:57 pm #1202604666
Well I’m not predicting it for anything until all the major industry trades officially say it’s getting a limited run to qualify. I’d honestly be shocked if it was because up till now there’s been nothing: no still photos, no posters, no trailers, etc.September 12, 2018 at 9:16 pm #1202630766
Since I’ve taken Ad Astra out of my predictions for now (no recent news, promos/trailers, or word about a qualifying release), I’ll share my updated predictions for the Sound categories.
1. First Man
2. A Quiet Place
3. Ready Player One
4. Avengers: Infinity War
5. Mission: Impossible – Fallout
– – –
7. Black Panther
8. Incredibles 2
9. A Star is Born
1. First Man
2. A Star is Born
3. A Quiet Place
4. Ready Player One
– – –
6. Avengers: Infinity War
7. Mary Poppins Returns
8. Black Panther
9. Mission: Impossible – Fallout
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.