Home Forums Movies 2019 Oscars: Sound Editing and Sound Mixing

2019 Oscars: Sound Editing and Sound Mixing

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
MKnight98
Alex Meyer
Harmon Van deth
  • MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve always had a lot of respect for the sound Oscars. It might be a bit early for this, but I like having the jump on things.

Which films do you think stand the best chance at being nominated for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing? Here are my top ten films:

Sound Editing

1. A Quiet Place – The sound design in this film was nothing short of brilliant. Literally the entire movie was carried by it’s marvelous application of sound (and of course the performances), and so it’s very hard for me to imagine a scenario where this isn’t a nominee.

2. First Man – A film like this seems as though having exceptional sound design is a given, especially if it’s going to depict space travel and noisy space craft. Already a strong candidate.

3. Ready Player One – The race car scene alone impressed me. I hope the sound here impresses voters as well. Also feels like a strong candidate.

4. Avengers: Infinity War – The sheer technical scale of Marvel’s biggest blockbuster might propel it forward in not only VFX, but the sound categories as well. Black Panther might be the one to fill it’s spot here, but for now I’m calling this as the Marvel nominee.

5. Ad Astra – If this film really is the massive sci-fi space epic it’s expected to be, then it would be very bizarre to see it miss out in a category like Sound Editing.

6. Mission: Impossible – Fallout – I’ve heard that this film boasts some incredible sound, but it’s also likely that the Academy will continue its tradition of snubbing this franchise. As we’ve seen with the Planet of the Apes trilogy, I don’t think the Academy cares all that much about what’s deserving and what’s not sometimes.

7. Incredibles 2 – The previous movie won this award in 2005, so it’s not unlikely that this branch will go for it again. But given the seemingly strong lineup of candidates this time around, it’s also easy to imagine a scenario where Incredibles 2 just manages to miss out.

8. Black Panther – Given the expectation that Black Panther will truly be a Best Picture candidate, for a “genre film,” picking up a few below-the-line nominations like Sound Editing /Mixing is a must.

9. Annihilation – I hope that the Academy won’t totally ignore this film, but honestly I don’t see this film getting any attention anywhere except Visual Effects, sadly. Still, the potential is there.

10. A Star is Born – This film managing two sound nominations could happen, but I’d really just stick to Sound Mixing for A Star is Born.

Sound Mixing

1. A Star is Born – Given the massive buzz surrounding this movie, and the Sound Mixing branch’s affinity for musically-driven films, this is an obvious front runner.

2. A Quiet Place – This film already has the traction and conversation, and obviously the excellent work, going for it. Only time will tell if the Academy voters feel the same way.

3. First Man – The same analysis for Sound Editing. If the sound design is exceptional, and this is a Best Picture front runner, then surely the sound mixers will be recognized by the Academy as well.

4. Ad Astra – Again, nothing has been released yet, and so I’m going to have to give the same analysis here as for Sound Editing…

5. Ready Player One – The sound required here to bring the world of the OASIS to life was excellent as well, and so finding a spot here should be no hard task.

6. Mary Poppins Returns – In any other year, a film like this would be an obvious contender. However, with the presences of sound juggernauts like A Star is Born, First Man, and A Quiet Place, things get really tough. And since A Star is Born will likely already fill in the musical spot, it’s possible that Mary Poppins will be overlooked.

7. Avengers: Infinity War – Given the wide array of sounds present in the film, a Sound Mixing nod could go in hand with Editing, but I feel as though Sound Editing is a much safer bet.

8. Black Panther – Honestly, I think this film stands the same chance of getting into Sound Mixing as it does Editing. The possibility is there and it definitely has a chance, but I think it will depend on whether other films are bigger players down the line.

9. Mission: Impossible – Fallout – Again, only if the Academy corrects its snubbing streak for this series…

10. Bohemian Rhapsody – Like with Mary Poppins, this could get overshadowed by the sheer buzz of A Star is Born, which will likely be in play for Best Picture.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  MKnight98.
    • This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  MKnight98.
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Being a space movie, First Man is going to automatically get nominated for both. I hope Ready Player One and A Quiet Place are remembered by year’s end, because they’re both worthy of nominations for both categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Mission Impossible Fallout… I see a. Win for this film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Sound Editing:
    1) First Man
    2) Black Panther
    3) Mission Impossible
    4) Ad Astra
    5) The Incredibles 2

Sound Mixing:
    1) First Man
    2) Black Panther
    3) Mary Poppins Return
    4) Ad Astra
    5) A Star is Born

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

We shouldn’t be counting Ad Astra for now because all reports say it gets a wide release date on January 11, 2019. No reports I’ve read said it gets a limited 2018 release date, unless I missed an article that says it does. If that’s the case, please let me know.

ReplyCopy URL
    MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

We shouldn’t be counting Ad Astra for now because all reports say it gets a wide release date on January 11, 2019. No reports I’ve read said it gets a limited 2018 release date, unless I missed an article that says it does. If that’s the case, please let me know.

Well, I have heard that it’s getting a qualifying awards run in 2018, so that’s the reason I’m predicting it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Well I’m not predicting it for anything until all the major industry trades officially say it’s getting a limited run to qualify. I’d honestly be shocked if it was because up till now there’s been nothing: no still photos, no posters, no trailers, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

Since I’ve taken Ad Astra out of my predictions for now (no recent news, promos/trailers, or word about a qualifying release), I’ll share my updated predictions for the Sound categories.

Sound Editing

1. First Man
    2. A Quiet Place
    3. Ready Player One
    4. Avengers: Infinity War
    5. Mission: Impossible – Fallout
    – – –
    6. Roma
    7. Black Panther
    8. Incredibles 2
    9. A Star is Born
    10. Annihilation

Sound Mixing

1. First Man
    2. A Star is Born
    3. A Quiet Place
    4. Ready Player One
    5. Roma
    – – –
    6. Avengers: Infinity War
    7. Mary Poppins Returns
    8. Black Panther
    9. Mission: Impossible – Fallout
    10. Annihilation

ReplyCopy URL
    Ravid
    Participant
    Topics:

Sound Editing

1. Widows : tasteful sound design, and storytelling using sound

2. A Quiet Place: a film designed for sound design, and great use of silence.

3. Ready Player One: nice homage to other films and games. Lovely sound design moments.

ReplyCopy URL
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Currently i’m predicting a win in Sound Editing for A Quiet Place and a win for First Man in Sound Mixing. I could also see A Star Is Born winning in Mixing. But for now i’m feeling pretty confident about those two i’m predicting for the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Harmon Van deth
    Participant
    Topics:

I can now see Infinity War getting in as Disney is now campaigning for it.

Best Sound Editing:

1. A Quiet Place
    2. First Man
    3. A Star Is Born
    5. Black Panther

Best Sound Mixing:

1. A Quiet Place
    2. First Man
    3. A Star Is Born
    4. Mary Poppins Returns
    5. Black Panther
    ReplyCopy URL
    phinsjake
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Sound Editing:

1. A Quiet Place
    2. First Man
    3. A Star Is Born
    5. Black Panther

The only problem I have with this is just how hard it is for me to believe that suddenly Marvel will just have a fantastic year in all of these below-the-line categories. Honestly feel like Avengers is more deserving, but The Academy hasn’t been very favorable in the past, why change now?

There’s always those potential films that could just come out of nowhere in the Sound Categories, for me this year could be The Sisters Brothers, or even Sicario 2??  The Supervising Sound Editor Alan Robert Murray has previously been nominated and won before, and although I’m not sure how influential that is for voters, I just feel like these categories are quite hard to predict this year simply because a surprise could pop out of nowhere!

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

My current and likely to eventually change predictions.

Sound Editing:

1. First Man

2. A Quiet Place

3. Widows

4. Incredibles 2

5. Mission Impossible: Fallout (I’m totally open to switching to Black Panther depending on how the pre-Oscar nominations season goes.)

Sound Mixing

1. First Man

2. A Star Is Born

3. A Quiet Place

4. Bohemian Rhapsody

5. The Favourite

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Harmon Van deth
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t put Mission Impossible in because Paramount is only campaigning for A Quiet Place.

ReplyCopy URL
    MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

Why would The Favourite be a contender for either Sound categories?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.