Home Forums Movies 2019 Visual Effects Oscar

2019 Visual Effects Oscar

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 132 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Keshav_Batra
Gabriel Guarin
MKnight98
  • Profile picture
    Rhiki Ranjan Neupane
    Topics:

Till now i guess the contenders may be these movies :

Black panther

Ready player one

Solo: a star wars story

Mowgli

Fantastic beasts : the crimes of the grindelwald

Mary poppins returns

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MKnight98
    Topics:

Here are the top ten films I think have the best chance of being nominated:

1. Avengers: Infinity War ~ This is the obvious shoo-in, especially for the mocap work on Thanos. Could earn Marvel its first Oscar
    2. Ready Player One ~ Another shoo-in. Seems destined for a nomination, especially being a Spielberg film.
    3. Ad Astra ~ Assuming it gets a qualifying 2018 release, and from what I’ve been hearing about it, it could be another obvious contender, even if we haven’t seen anything of it yet.
    4. First Man ~ Seems like the prestigious Best Picture candidate of the category, though people said the same about Dunkirk’s VFX Oscar chances last year… stil, this feels like another decent choice.
    5. Mortal Engines ~ Weta Digital’s work is always top notch. Especially given their past history of reliable nominations and wins (Lord of the Rings, Planet of the Apes), so this could easily be the fifth nominee.

6. Mowgli ~ Andy Serkis + Motion-Capture = Likely nominee. Though this does seem weaker than Disney’s 2016 version, so this isn’t in my top 5 yet…
    7. Ant-Man and the Wasp ~ I want to rank this higher, because the first film had some amazing (BAFTA nominated) visual effects, and this sequel seems likely to only improve. Could be a dark horse candidate.
    8. Aquaman ~ Because it’s getting a lot of buzz.
    9. Solo: A Star Wars Story ~ Because… it’s Star Wars. That’s the only reason.
    10. Black Panther ~ If the Oscar voters truly run out of deserving films to nominate…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by MKnight98.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by MKnight98.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AccuratePredictions
    Topics:

The Oscar goes to the most innovative new use of special effects in a film, so I’m rather shocked that nobody has mentioned Annihilation just yet. Not only did its bear and its ending receive massive applause from effects fans, but Ex Machina had won the award just a couple years ago. A film doesn’t need to be an endless CGI fest to win the award and nothing specifically fitting that definition has EVER actually won since it’s all about innovation. In the case of Ex Machina, it involved some great robo-human CGI trickery that enhanced the story.

That said, Ready Player One is certainly the most impressive over-use of CGI I have ever seen (as in, a film that relies on such effects significantly throughout its run time). If nothing in particular sticks out to the voters, then it could end up winning the award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

A film doesn’t need to be an endless CGI fest to win the award

Yes it does. The new branch edict is to snub the subtle CGI work in favor of the CGI fests.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Says who? Especially given that 2018’s Oscar winner Blade Runner 2049 had an extensive use of models and miniatures.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

My Predictions for the 2019 Oscars Visual Effects so far:

1. Avengers: Infinity War, it’s ILM and Weta Digital’s to lose if you ask me. Marvel’s been waiting ages for this.

2. Ready Player One, ILM and Digital Domain

3. Black Panther, ILM and (presumably) Method Studios

4. Annhilation, Double Negative and Milk VFX

5. First Man, Double Negative

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

In fact, here’s the artists who I think will specifically be up for the VFX nominations:

1. Avengers: Infinity War – Dan DeLeeuw (visual effects supervisor), Russell Earl (ILM Visual Effects Supervisor), Matt Aitken (Weta Digital Visual Effects Supervisor), Daniel Sudick (special effects supervisor)

2. Ready Player One – Roger Guyett (visual effects supervisor), Grady Cofer (ILM Visual Effects Supervisor), Matthew E. Butler (Digital Domain visual effects supervisor),, Neil Corbould (special effects supervisor)

3. Black Panther – Geoffrey Baumann (visual effects supervisor), Craig Hammack (ILM Visual Effects supervisor), Andy Brown (Method Studios visual effects supervisor), Daniel Sudick (special effects supervisor)

4. Annhilation – Andrew Whitehurst (visual effects supervisor), Thomas Biller (Double Negative cg sequence supervisor), Sara Bennett (Milk VFX visual effects supervisor), Hayley J. Williams (special effects supervisor)

5. First Man – Paul Lambert (visual effects supervisor) and J.D. Schwalm (special effects supervisor)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Pollo crudo
    Topics:

Should the Academy split Special Effects and Visual Effects?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Emil Petrov
    Topics:

If Black Panther is nominated for VFX it will be a travesty. You must not nominate a movie in everything just because you like it. The visual effects were the weakest part of that movie and it will be very unfair to be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I have a feeling Black Panther will be nominated. I personally didn’t really have a problem with the CGI aside from the ship, the rhinos and the scene where T’Chalia and Killmonger are falling into the train station. But that’s just me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MKnight98
    Topics:
      My updated top ten:

1. Avengers: Infinity War
      2. Ready Player One
      3. Annihilation
      4. Bumblebee
      5. Mortal Engines
      – – –
      6. First Man
      7. Alita: Battle Angel
      8. Ant-Man and the Wasp
      9. Solo: A Star Wars Story
      10. Black Panther
      (Ad Astra?)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by MKnight98.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

1.Avengers:Infinity War

2.Ready Player One

Kubrick-Coen-Tarantino-Hitchcock-Lynch-Fellini-BillyWilde-WesAnderson
    "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest(1975)"[All Time Fav]

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.