Home Forums Movies 2019 Visual Effects Oscar

2019 Visual Effects Oscar

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 132 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Keshav Batra
Gabe Guarin
MKnight98
  • WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

READY. PLAYER. ONE.

The visual effects in this were breathtaking. I began championing this notion the moment I left the theater. My runner-ups would be First Man and Christopher Robin. First Man made really great use of both practical and CGI effects, which is impressive and I really appreciate practical effects not being tossed aside in film making. The stuff animals in CR were so realistic looking which played so well with the films emotional undertones.

Avengers and Solo didn’t bring anything new that we hadn’t seen in a prior carnation from their respective series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Ex Machina having won in an upset with far less showy VFX. Still, that prior film of his actually had a ton of love and passion overall, whereas even with showier and more technically impressive and creative VFX in his newer film, the lack of passion for it overall I think really did it in, unfortunately.

This win is the exact reason why I think a film other an Infinity Wars could win. VFX is one of the few categories that feels like the winner isn’t just auto-picked based on name alone. I think quality can prevail this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Edgar Blake
    Participant
    Topics:

I just re-watched “Black Panther” and “Avengers” and honestly I did not find anything exciting or “never seen before” or “oscar-worthy” in either of them. Both are comparable to other marvel films that have not won; probably the noteworthy thing about Avengers is Thanos, and probably it will win something at VES. The rest is not oscar-worthy, it’s just good. The only reason he could win is because it is the most famous movie among the nominated (box office) and because there will be Avengers among the presenters. But if the Academy wants to give the Avengers a symbolic prize to reward the whole marvel universe, it will be able to do it next year with “Endgame”, which is supposed to be the end of the Marvel Universe as we know it. Come on, if “Avengers” deserves an Oscar, “Apes” deserved three!

I think that RP1 really deserves the award for all-round work done at various levels (performance capture, world-recreation, details from the pop culture, Shining, etc.).I’ll rewatch it again today to clear my mind.

“First Man” was good, but I do not see the Academy rewarding a film with mostly practical effects; I have not seen “Christopher Robin” but from the little I saw I think I can do an “Ex Machina”.

“Solo” sucks.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Avengers: Infinity War will win. ILM is due for another win. It’s been over a decade since they last won.

ReplyCopy URL
    fivestar
    Participant
    Topics:

sticking to First Man all the way through. Unlike the Best Achievement in Most Editing category, here the Academy tends to go for the subtle stuff, and also First Man isn’t getting wins anywhere else, so this is the perfect spread-the-love win for that film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Keshav Batra
    Participant
    Topics:

sticking to First Man all the way through. Unlike the Best Achievement in Most Editing category, here the Academy tends to go for the subtle stuff, and also First Man isn’t getting wins anywhere else, so this is the perfect spread-the-love win for that film.

yeah not gonna happen because this year is dominated by Disney and if first man is gonna win anything it’s for sound editing and nothing else. The academy has finally acknowledged an mcu film and this year will definitely be marvels year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

No, the Academy typically goes with the most visual effects.

ReplyCopy URL
    Keshav Batra
    Participant
    Topics:

are you saying that infinity war will win cause id love that

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

No, the Academy typically goes with the most visual effects.

When? The Golden Compass over Transformers? Benjamin Button over Iron Man and The Dark Knight? Hugo over any of the other nominees? Ex Machina over Mad Max and Star Wars?

They hardly ever go for wall to wall CGI unless it’s a Best Picture nominee or there’s no alternatives. First Man is the only one of the five that was ever in the conversation for other nominations therefore has the highest visibility within the academy. It get plenty of blind votes from people who only saw one of the five.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

When? The Golden Compass over Transformers? Benjamin Button over Iron Man and The Dark Knight? Hugo over any of the other nominees? Ex Machina over Mad Max and Star Wars?

They hardly ever go for wall to wall CGI unless it’s a Best Picture nominee or there’s no alternatives. First Man is the only one of the five that was ever in the conversation for other nominations therefore has the highest visibility within the academy. It get plenty of blind votes from people who only saw one of the five.

Golden Compass had just as many vfx as Transformers. Benjamin Button had just as many vfx as Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

ReplyCopy URL
    Keshav Batra
    Participant
    Topics:

When? The Golden Compass over Transformers? Benjamin Button over Iron Man and The Dark Knight? Hugo over any of the other nominees? Ex Machina over Mad Max and Star Wars? They hardly ever go for wall to wall CGI unless it’s a Best Picture nominee or there’s no alternatives. First Man is the only one of the five that was ever in the conversation for other nominations therefore has the highest visibility within the academy. It get plenty of blind votes from people who only saw one of the five.

The golden compass had wall to wall cgi and so did ex machina. The martian and Mad Max had the same effects as first man and they were beaten by Ex Machina. Even last years winner Blade Runner 2049 was filled to the brim with CGI over War for The Planet of The Apes.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Keshav Batra.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

What? Huh?

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Avengers will win because voters will think if they can’t vote for Black Panther they might as well vote for the film that has Black Panther characters in it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.