Home Forums Movies 2019 Visual Effects Oscar

2019 Visual Effects Oscar

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Keshav Batra
Gabe Guarin
MKnight98
  • kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

The golden compass had wall to wall cgi and so did ex machina. The martian and Mad Max had the same effects as first man and they were beaten by Ex Machina. Even last years winner Blade Runner 2049 was filled to the brim with CGI over War for The Planet of The Apes.

The effects in Ex Machina were low-key compared to Star Wars (it’s been awhile since I’ve seen Mad Max so I don’t remember for that one, same with The Golden Compass). And to say Benjamin Button had just as many as TDK and Iron Man is ridiculous (but that’s for the other user). And in comparison to Planet of the Apes, Blade Runner 2049 had just as many effects, but it was far from the standard blockbuster effects of the former’s series has been jotting out in my opinion (same situation with Ex Machina).

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Keshav Batra
    Participant
    Topics:

The effects in Ex Machina were low-key compared to Star Wars (it’s been awhile since I’ve seen Mad Max so I don’t remember for that one, same with The Golden Compass). And to say Benjamin Button had just as many as TDK and Iron Man is ridiculous (but that’s for the other user). And in comparison to Planet of the Apes, Blade Runner 2049 had just as many effects, but it was far from the standard blockbuster effects of the former in my opinion (same situation with Ex Machina). If Christopher Robin or First Man (more on the level with Gravity) beat out BP or IW, it wouldn’t be unusual.

gravity had just as much cgi than first man and Blade Runner 2049 was a big budget blockbuster

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

gravity had just as much cgi than first man and Blade Runner 2049 was a big budget blockbuster

That’s exactly what I said before I deleted that part of my comment (because I didn’t see much of a point into getting in that and realized including FM with CR didn’t make sense) that it had just as much (if not more). And like I said, Blade Runner 2049 was a blockbuster that had just as many effects as Planet of the Apes, but they were on different levels of what the Academy will go for.

ReplyCopy URL
    Keshav Batra
    Participant
    Topics:

Avengers infinity war had the most cgi in that film and the academy will award it because of black panther not being nominated in that category

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

Avengers infinity war had the most cgi in that film and the academy will award it because of black panther not being nominated in that category

Infinity War winning would be like The Jungle Book winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

I am predicting First Man. The moon landing is just stunning. I couldn’t believe how real it seemed; no bad CGI or cartoony effects. It has a center focus which is why I think it prevails. I originally had Ready Player One, but I think it splits with Avengers. Speaking of the latter, why are people predicting this to win? The last time it was nominated it lost. Are the effects better this time? I didn’t see much difference.

I remember a lot were predicting the Planet of the Apes franchise every time it got nominated and it lost. I predicted Blade Runner correctly over it (last year I believe). Not saying I will be right this time, but I think when you talk about First Man, people always say “Oh yes- that Moon Landing! That was sensational.” And it was.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

All this talk about Blade Runner 2049/Planet of the Apes got me to check out my predictions and I want to know why the hell I predicted the latter when they hate rewarding franchises (an even bigger question mark was my Director prediction??).

ReplyCopy URL
    Keshav Batra
    Participant
    Topics:

They made infinity war focused on thanos and made him look as human as possible and made him capable of human emotion which is why infinity war is gonna win. It also has a huge campaign and higher odds.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember a lot were predicting the Planet of the Apes franchise every time it got nominated and it lost. I predicted Blade Runner correctly over it (last year I believe). Not saying I will be right this time, but I think when you talk about First Man, people always say “Oh yes- that Moon Landing! That was sensational.” And it was.

Or they may look at it the way they looked at APOLLO 13 (which used no archival footage but was completely convincing as photo-realistic vfx) and go for something that has a supernatural element that makes the effects more obvious as well as impressive. And APOLLO was only competing against ONE other movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

if indeed films with practical effects have harder times winning Oscar, First Man is in trouble. but somehow I still cannot imagine Avengers:Infinity War winning it & the only other option is Ready Player One (as movies without BAFTA nomination never win, just ask Transformers).

Avengers:Infinity War & Ready Player One are this year’s sole nominees in this category that have any chance to win. same happened at BAFTAs, they were sole nominees.

before Jungle Book (sole nominee at Oscars & BAFTAs, winnnig both), the only other sole nominee in this category to win against movie with more nominations was Death Becomes Her (sole nominee at BAFTAs, winning it in the end).
    what those two movies also have in common is that the teams behind them wasn’t Oscar-less.
    Legato & Jones, responsible for Jungle Book, won 3 Oscars already before winning for JB.
    Ralston, responsible for Death Becomes Her, won 3 Oscars before winning for DBH.
    in doubt, always go with previous Oscar winner?

so looking at the 3 major contenders this year (& 2 which are BAFTA-less), this is how their teams fared with Oscars to date:
    A:IW – 0 Oscars
    RPO – 1 Oscar
    FM – 2 Oscars
    ————–
    CR – 2 Oscars (actually, while the movie is pretty bland, visual effects are exceptional)
    S:ASWS – 1 Oscar

what do you think?

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

what those two movies also have in common is that the teams behind them wasn’t Oscar-less.
    Legato & Jones, responsible for Jungle Book, won 3 Oscars already before winning for JB.
    Ralston, responsible for Death Becomes Her, won 3 Oscars before winning for DBH.
    in doubt, always go with previous Oscar winner?

so looking at the 3 major contenders this year (& 2 which are BAFTA-less), this is how their teams fared with Oscars to date:
    A:IW – 0 Oscars
    RPO – 1 Oscar
    FM – 2 Oscars
    ————–
    CR – 2 Oscars (actually, while the movie is pretty bland, visual effects are exceptional)
    S:ASWS – 1 Oscar

what do you think?

Correlation is not causality. Remember that none of the ballots name the individual nominees, just the films (and even if they did, do you honestly think most people would know who was or wasn’t a previous winner?).

I think the only film you can dismiss this year is CHRISTOPHER ROBIN because not only is it so unlike any other winner and a film that didn’t perform particularly well at the b.o., but unlike EX MACHINA or BABE (which it most closely resembles in tone and style), it doesn’t have any other nominations anywhere else either.

Some of the other titles have a better chance than others, but I don’t see any reason to dismiss any of them as off-the-table. They’ve all got a shot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miguel Marrero
    Participant
    Topics:

Infinity War will make up for Panther. The entire third act takes place in Wakanda…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.