Home Forums Movies 2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions

2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 300 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
tom92
Riley Chow
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve never understood the averse reactions to Margot Robbie’s performance as Sharon Tate – it’s brilliant! My favorite scene in the movie – which admittedly I didn’t like very much on the whole, it being yet another revenge fantasy that tells us that the solution to violence is more violence, just like all Tarantino movies – is the one where Sharon goes to see herself at a matinee of “The Wrecking Crew”. Margot Robbie was the acting MVP for me in the movie. I am thrilled that she got the double nomination! I am hoping BAFTA doesn’t go with Laura Dern but I think the double nomination might be a problem for Robbie. Perhaps Pugh or Johansson will win instead of Dern? It would be unfathomable if Dern were to sweep everything for such an average dull performance!

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t wait till my prediction of JLo being this year’s Madonna and Courtney Love comes true because I called this weeks ago.

Except J-Lo is primary known an actress and was a musician before becoming a popstar. The only real multi-hyped since her who was thespian first singer second is Hailee Steinfeld.

If anything she’s more a Sandra Bullock than a Madonna.

Pranksalot
    Participant
    Topics:

I really wish the BAFTAs got as much attention from the British Press and the International Press as the Oscars. Otherwise their blatant racism will never be addressed. It’s the same thing every year with them because not enough people cover or care about them.

I wish Lupita was nominated as well but I don’t think they have anything against her because she was nominated for two bafta awards in the past. And Cynthia also got a bafta nomination last year.

Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

They should have snubbed DiCaprio for Banderas.

Oh well

Viridiana
    Participant
    Topics:

Ironically I was expecting 1917 to get here a Original Screenplay nod and not yesterday at WGA announcement. Don’t know what that means for its Oscars options.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Viridiana.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Viridiana.
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Why though? It’s Laika stop-motion and the animation branch is still dominant in nomination voting (I doubt the number of general members watching the requisite two thirds of the eligible animated films is that high).

Toy Story 4 is winning. Frozen II would have been shockingly snubbed under the old system. BAFTA essentially only had three slots and they used their third for Klaus. ACE only had three slots and they used their third on I Lost My Body. So it comes down to How to Train Your Dragon and Missing Link for the last slot. How to Train Your Dragon not only made way more money, but it also has better reviews from both critics and audiences.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Banderas is absolutely not out of the running. He’s already in a better position than some recent passion picks

Tell me a passion pick that happened in the Lead Actor category.

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Willem Dafoe just last year.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Willem Dafoe last year. In fact he was in a much worse position than Banderas

Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

Dafoe was in a biopic. Academy loves them some biopic performances. Also, Denzel’s kid was never gonna happen especially after his dad made it 2 years in a row. I think Banderas will make it but I wouldn’t use last year as a basis for why

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

I wish Lupita was nominated as well but I don’t think they have anything against her because she was nominated for two bafta awards in the past. And Cynthia also got a bafta nomination last year.

I didn’t specify any category. I was talking about what they do every year. Most of the POC they nominate are the ones that are the front runners to win at other awards. Even last year, the best supporting actress winner at the Oscars wasn’t nominated. Denzel Washington has 2 Oscars, yet he has never been nominated. Morgan Freeman, another Oscar winner has also never been nominated for an Oscar. Also, how is Margot Robbie in Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood deserving of a nomination but Zhao Shuzen in The Farewell isn’t.

Rmcd8
    Participant
    Topics:

Banderas will get the Oscar nom over Pryce. BAFTA was always going to favour the British actors where possible so this isn’t a major indicator. SAG is more worrying but Oscars will have more diversity awareness. Banderas will get a nom.

Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

Ouch, #BAFTAActingNomineesSoWhite. No Banderas, Murphy, Awkwafina, Erivo, Nyong’o, Woodard, Lopez, Shuzhen, etc. This is a terrible PR issue considering the number of diverse possibilities.

In another news, this does also hurt Bale and Ford v Ferrari, er, Le Mans ’66’s prospects and I am very surprised that the BAFTA voters went for Joker in such a big way. I suspect that 1917 wins the most, even without a writing nomination, and that most Globe winners repeat here.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Nate.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Nate.
    Rmcd8
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m hoping this means Florence Pugh will get her Oscar nom. Oscars would never have two Scarjo or two Margot noms. So her space is clearing.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions’ is closed to new replies.