Home Forums Movies 2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions

2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 300 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
tom92
Riley Chow
  • oscarin7
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a mess!

Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Erivo refuses to perform at BAFTA cermony. Good for her!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/film/news/bafta-cynthia-erivo-all-white-acting-nominees-1203459958/amp/

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if she won’t go altogether. She’s bound to feel uncomfortable at the ceremony, sadly, knowing that some people will be questioning her choice.

Maybe it’s a bigger statement to not go completely.

Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

Erivo refuses to perform at BAFTA cermony. Good for her! https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/film/news/bafta-cynthia-erivo-all-white-acting-nominees-1203459958/amp/

Good on her! The cheek of them! Reminds me of when they snubbed Emily Blunt last year at the Oscars but still expected her to sing. Like Erivo she had the class to not attend at all. Bette Midler’s butchering of the song was poetic justice indeed.

Us isn’t a big thing l outside US, Farewell and Dolemite isn’t a thing at all. Banderas could be snubbed as it’s an art Almadovar movie, not mass appealed. He campaigned for Oscars and Globes mostly. Voters are just regular moviegoers mostly, if moviegoers at all. They aware of local hits, of internationally hyped films, they’re often invited to the local movie festivals. That is usually just it. So BAFTA voters undoubtedly saw Joker and mostly loved it based on IMDb rating. They’ve seen Irishman, OUATIH, Avengers ans so on. So the voted for these films. I guess that’s it. The thing is that internationally recognized film still really lacks diversity, especially last year. Joker, Irishman, OUATIH, Knives Out, Avengers, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit (it has buzz unproportional to its current boxoffice), John Wick 3. Mostly white males with white male problems. Green Book has been a huge success despite cast and theme. It has universal appeal as road movie with life crisis period of main heroes, with “life-is-hard-but-nevertheless-beautiful” tone, like Interstate 60 or Sideways, so Mahershala Ali has won his BAFTA nomination. So that’s more of a question of studios’ choice for films, that rely on international boxoffice.

I also find it odd and funny that although they do nominate successfull releases in the UK, they also shower nominations on other films which haven’t even been released in the UK so very little or any of the UK population has seen them (Parasite, Bombshell, A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood etc) So it’s no wonder that the general public doesn’t care. Why would they care about awards for films they haven’t had the chance to see? There should be rules applied that only films in the calendar year can be nominated, not the year after.

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

They’re really not giving up on them, they’re just not doing what the Academy have done with Streep and nominating their favourites for ‘meh’ films when there are superior options out there.

Like Margot Robbie in OUATIH and Laura Dern in MS? LMFAO.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Erivo refuses to perform at BAFTA cermony. Good for her!

While I can respect someone standing up for racial equality, Erivo’s always seemed a little nutty in the issue. I’m basing this on the infamous closing of the show Great Comet on Broadway, which Erivo played a part in by repeatedly and loudly calling out the producers as racist, which lead to a whole big snowball effect that resulted in the show closing, costing many people their jobs, which Erivo never apologized for. It’s a whole long story, but an interesting read.

Good on her! The cheek of them! Reminds me of when they snubbed Emily Blunt last year at the Oscars but still expected her to sing. Like Erivo she had the class to not attend at all. Bette Midler’s butchering of the song was poetic justice indeed.

Pretty sure Blunt wouldn’t have sung even if she was nominated. She’s very modest about her voice, saying it’s good enough to sing in movies, but not good enough to sing live onstage.

syrus80
    Participant
    Topics:

Erivo is a mess. She still hasn’t apologized for her comments about Black Americans. Oh the irony of the BAFTAs snubbing her!!!

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Why would you expect Cynthia Erivo to apologise for calling out her experience of racism in a professional setting? Really….?

Like Margot Robbie in OUATIH and Laura Dern in MS? LMFAO.

Two performances in films with high nominations counts…versus a BAFTA darling where they’d be the films sole nomination (based on a TV programme which BAFTA never really cared for).

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Why would you expect Cynthia Erivo to apologise for calling out her experience of racism in a professional setting? Really….?

Nah, reread the post you were responding to. Erivo has made fun of and trivialized Black American culture more than once. And still doesn’t even seem to understand the argument against a British actor playing Harriet Tubman.

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m querying why she needs to apologise for calling out racism during her play. Also if you’re campaigning for awards, are you really going to agree with nay-sayers on who you play? Seems a dodgy game to play

ScarJo has a very dodgy past with roles she’s taken on and behaviours/people she’s defended and it doesn’t seem to be stopping her getting two nominations; yet Erivo needs to jump through all these hoops for one? (Yes I acknowledge how the films differ in their prestige and how highly they are regarded).

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m querying why she needs to apologise for calling out racism during her play. Also if you’re campaigning for awards, are you really going to agree with nay-sayers on who you play? Seems a dodgy game to play ScarJo has a very dodgy past with roles she’s taken on and behaviours/people she’s defended and it doesn’t seem to be stopping her getting two nominations; yet Erivo needs to jump through all these hoops for one? (Yes I acknowledge how the films differ in their prestige and how highly they are regarded).

What are you referring to? Who is asking her to apologize for calling out racism???

Edit: part of the dislike of Erivo is her unending pretension in her interviews, which is also quite apparent in her acting. I’m not saying Scarjo is any better of a person, but at least in interviews you can tell you’re getting the real her without any facade. Erivo is clearly very focused on trying to impress with feigned humility.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  CateNicole.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  CateNicole.
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I also find it odd and funny that although they do nominate successfull releases in the UK, they also shower nominations on other films which haven’t even been released in the UK so very little or any of the UK population has seen them (Parasite, Bombshell, A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood etc) So it’s no wonder that the general public doesn’t care. Why would they care about awards for films they haven’t had the chance to see? There should be rules applied that only films in the calendar year can be nominated, not the year after.

I know, it’s infuriating. I suspect UK distributors are afraid that the public won’t care to see certain movies unless they’re nominated for awards, so they wait until the thick of the season to release them. BAFTA probably arranged their rules accordingly so I don’t expect this to ever change. We also don’t have the same kind of platform release strategy here like they do in the US, so gradual rollouts from late December aren’t really a thing either.

Another thing I’ve noticed over the years is that awards movies released in the fall in the US tend to get particularly late UK releases when their casts are predominantly black; Selma, Moonlight, Fences, Hidden Figures and If Beale Street Could Talk were all released in February of their respective years, well after the Oscar nominations announcement. There is a genuine fear that British cinemagoers will not care to see black-oriented films (other than the most highly commercial ones) without the added sheen of awards success. And the fear might be wholly justified.

MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

Did people really think Erivo would get nominated at BAFTA? She is in the race because the movie made money and her character is a Civil War icon.

Harriet made like 100k in UK and no one there knows who Harriet Tubman is. Why should they care about that movie?

smindymix
    Participant
    Topics:

Nah, reread the post you were responding to. Erivo has made fun of and trivialized Black American culture more than once. And still doesn’t even seem to understand the argument against a British actor playing Harriet Tubman.

And is set to play Aretha Franklin, she could give a damn about taking roles from Black Americans/ADOS while talking sideways out of her mouth about them at the same time. She’s a hack and deserves NOTHING.

Did people really think Erivo would get nominated at BAFTA? She is in the race because the movie made money and her character is a Civil War icon. Harriet made like 100k in UK and no one there knows who Harriet Tubman is. Why should they care about that movie?

Not to mention that the movie was disrespectful garbage.

linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

And is set to play Aretha Franklin, she could give a damn about taking roles from Black Americans/ADOS while talking sideways out of her mouth about them at the same time. She’s a hack and deserves NOTHING.

I thought Jennifer Hudson was playing Aretha Franklin

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions’ is closed to new replies.