Home Forums Movies 2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions

2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 300 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
JackO
tom92
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Did people really think Erivo would get nominated at BAFTA? She is in the race because the movie made money and her character is a Civil War icon.

Harriet made like 100k in UK and no one there knows who Harriet Tubman is. Why should they care about that movie?

Pretty much. I’m British and only found out about Harriet Tubman about five years ago (I’m almost 28) because her name was never mentioned in history lessons at school. We even briefly studied 19th century slavery but I don’t remember her name coming up. Maybe I’m just uneducated lol.

Also when I went to see Harriet the theatre was so nearly empty I could’ve stripped naked and probably no one would’ve noticed.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

While I can respect someone standing up for racial equality, Erivo’s always seemed a little nutty in the issue. I’m basing this on the infamous closing of the show Great Comet on Broadway, which Erivo played a part in by repeatedly and loudly calling out the producers as racist, which lead to a whole big snowball effect that resulted in the show closing, costing many people their jobs, which Erivo never apologized for. It’s a whole long story, but an interesting read.

Why would Erivo need to apologize for anything if the producers were indeed racist? That’s her experience. The “snowball effect” of that show closing is a separate issue.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Why would you expect Cynthia Erivo to apologise for calling out her experience of racism in a professional setting? Really….?

I don’t think you know the full picture of the story, cause this has nothing to do with Erivo’s personal experience of racism. Stick with me while I try to explain this mess. Great Comet was originally an Off Broadway musical about a few chapters from War and Peace. Josh Groban saw a performance and loved it so much that he wanted to help bring it to Broadway. It was decided that Groban would play the leading man Pierre, which brought a lot more interest to the show, with many tickets being sold because Groban’s fans wanted to see him act (this isn’t a necessary detail, but I’d just like to point out that Groban’s performance ended up being very well received by critics and audiences). Being a huge star (far bigger than any other actor in the production, none of whom were even famous in the Broadway community at that time), Groban eventually had to leave the show. Once he did, the producers brought in Okieriete Onaodowan (often just called Oak) an African American actor most famous for playing the principle, although somewhat minor roles of Hercules Mulligan and James Madison in Hamilton. While Groban’s a superstar, Oak was not, and although he was an original cast member in one of the biggest shows of all time, he still isn’t a big name. I’d say he’s definitely the least famous of the original principle actors. Moving back to Great Comet, during Oak’s run, ticket sales went way down, and it became clear that this show needed a big name like Groban in order to survive. Because of this, the producers got in touch with Broadway legend Mandy Patinkin and got him to agree to take over the role of Pierre. Here’s where the controversy comes in. Rather than bringing Patinkin in to play the part after Oak’s run had ended, the producers were going to end Oak’s contract early so that they could bring in Patinkin before the show lost more money. Soon after this news came out, several people protested this decision, believing that it was unfair to Oak. The loudest and most famous voice of them all was Cynthia Erivo. Erivo was particularly vicious in calling out the creative team of the show as being racist for trying to give the job of a black man to a white man. This is despite the fact that Great Comet was already a fairly diverse cast, the main character Natasha was being played by African American actress Denée Benton, along with other historically white characters being played by people of color. But Erivo’s (and the other protesters’) words caught on, and the show found itself to be in a huge controversy surrounding race, giving an already struggling show some very bad publicity. This caused Patinkin to drop out of his prior deal, claiming that he didn’t know he’d be screwing over another actor, and because of this Oak was allowed to finish his run. But the damage was already done, and it was announced that the show would close because it was unable to make money without a big name like Groban or Patinkin attached to it. Because of people like Erivo who made the entire situation about race without understanding the full picture, a critically acclaimed production ended up being surrounded in controversy and closed early as a total financial failure, thus leaving several hard working people out of a job. As I said before, this whole situation was a mess, and the finger can be pointed at a lot of people, but Erivo helped escalate things by throwing the race card around, and her vocal attacks gave the show much bad publicity, which played a hand in the producers losing a lot of money and the whole team being out of work. Erivo never apologized for her actions. Again, there are more people to blame, but she stuck her head into a situation that she didn’t understand, helped make it much worse, and never showed any regret for her actions. Her heart may have been in the right place, but by the end of the story, she comes out looking like an ass.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

On another note, Rush won BAFTA Editing after being snubbed by the Oscars and ACE. Baby Driver won BAFTA Editing after losing ACE Comedy and on the path to losing the Oscar. So I have 500 points on Ford v Ferrari in the Editing category of the predictions centre.

Profile picture
    Pranksalot
    Topics:

Why would Erivo need to apologize for anything if the producers were indeed racist? That’s her experience. The “snowball effect” of that show closing is a separate issue.

its not a fact they’re racist.  Cynthia was just making baseless accusations without evidence.

https://www.onstageblog.com/columns/2017/8/31/things-are-getting-ugly-with-the-closing-of-the-great-comet

https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/7vgp95/can_someone_explain_what_happened_with_cynthia/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

ONLY THE SNUBS
    The Irishman:
    – Leading Actor
    – Casting
    – Sound
    Joker:

1917:
    – Original Screenplay
    – Casting
    – Editing
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood:
    – Cinematography
    – Makeup
    – Sound
    Parasite:
    – Supporting Actor
    – Casting
    – Cinematography
    – Editing
    – Production Design

Turns out that both the nominees and winner of Best Casting are decided by a jury with a maximum of twelve people. The minimum is seven, but people can be disqualified after appointment if they have a conflict of interest or if they simply do not get around to watching enough movies, so who knows? Maybe it was just five people voting. Sounds to me like BAFTA wanted to avoid this category getting off to an embarrassing start and I suspect that they will relinquish nominating to the relevant branch in the future to match other races. This explains how we got The Personal History of David Copperfield there and nowhere else. We should not put any stock into snubs then because this handful of people was apparently enamoured with the casting of two popes.

Profile picture
    Greg
    Topics:

This is completely out of nowhere, but I saw someone said that Scarlett Johansson is the first actress to be a double nominee in the same year for a second time.

But Meryl Streep was nominated for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress two times too in 1980 and 2003.

More impressively, Kate Winslet was a double nominee for Best Actress TWICE in 2005 and 2009.

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Robbie is their new Winslet now, that nomination for Finding Neverland was just as ridiculous.

Profile picture
    Emil Petrov
    Topics:

Kate Winslet in Finding Neverland was fantastic and worthy!

Profile picture
    Greg
    Topics:

Robbie is their new Winslet now, that nomination for Finding Neverland was just as ridiculous.

Winslet in Neverland was even better than Robbie in Bombshell.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I’m currently predicting 1917 to win British Film and Best Picture here, and also Best Picture at the Oscars.

However, British Film and Film at Bafta rarely match and Best Picture at BAFTA hasn’t match with Oscar for years.

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

My predictions:

Best Film: 1917
    Best British Film: 1917
    Best Director: Sam Mendes, 1917
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    Best Actress: Renee Zellweger, Judy
    Best Supporting Actor: Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
    Best Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh, Little Women
    Best Original Screenplay: Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Little Women
    Best Cinematography: 1917
    Best Film Editing: Le Mans ’66 (Ford v Ferrari)
    Best Costume Design: Little Women
    Best Makeup & Hairstyling: 1917
    Best Production Design: 1917
    Best Original Score: 1917
    Best Visual Effects: 1917
    Best Casting: Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
    Best Animated Feature; Faramaggedon: A Shaun Sheep Movie
    Best Documentary: For Sama
    Best Foreign Film: Parasite
    Best Debut: For Sama
    Rising Star: Awkwafina

I am predicting 1917 sweeps at BAFTA with 8 awards.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I’m doubtful but I’m hoping they have at least one different acting winner. This race is so boring

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

I’m doubtful but I’m hoping they have at least one different acting winner. This race is so boring

I could see them awarding someone other then Dern at BAFTA, but she’s still winning the Oscar. Other 3 are locks at BAFTA

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am hoping for at least one upset in a major category – most likely in Supporting Actress imo.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘2020 BAFTA Awards nominations: Reactions’ is closed to new replies.