Home Forums Movies 2020 Critics Choice Predictions

2020 Critics Choice Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
James_Breheney
JackO
CarlosAlessio10
  • Profile picture
    Andrew229
    Topics:

Ok so I wanna hear opinions on this do you guys think Irishman can come back or is it already dead. Are we getting a Parasite sweep? Maybe can Quentin Tarantino pull off an upset in the directing category? Do you guys expect any upsets in the acting categories like maybe an Adam Sandler win out of nowhere so he’ll get pushed into the oscars or is it too late for that to happen?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

Ok so I wanna hear opinions on this do you guys think Irishman can come back or is it already dead. Are we getting a Parasite sweep? Maybe can Quentin Tarantino pull off an upset in the directing category? Do you guys expect any upsets in the acting categories like maybe an Adam Sandler win out of nowhere so he’ll get pushed into the oscars or is it too late for that to happen?

I don’t even think Irishman is out of it yet. We need to wait for PGA and DGA to judge that. But it could definitely get a big boost here by winning Picture and/or Director. I don’t think Tarantino is winning Director, it’s between Scorsese, Mendes and Bong Joon Ho just like at DGA and the Oscars. CC tend to rubber stamp the Globe acting winners except in one category so could see at least one of the acting winners being different here but not sure which.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

These guys are basic and will just follow what the globes did.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CarlosAlessio10
    Topics:

The voting period for this year’s Academy Awards nominations closed Tuesday.

So, this is a bit irrelevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

These guys are basic and will just follow what the globes did.

While I agree they’re basic af, I’m fairly confident they won’t go for 1917. I could see any of the other three winning. I think LA/CA critics have the largest membership in the CC so if I had to choose one I think they’ll go Parasite.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Critics Choice Association members rate films on the website after they see them, generating a score for each. The interesting part is that high scorers get a “Seal of Distinction” if enough members have rated them.

97: Parasite
    94: Marriage Story (Seal of Distinction)
    93: 1917 (Seal of Distinction)
    92: The Irishman
    89: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Seal of Distinction)
    89: Little Women (Seal of Distinction)
    88: Ford v Ferrari (Seal of Distinction)
    87: Jojo Rabbit (Seal of Distinction)
    83: Joker (Seal of Distinction)
    83: Uncut Gems

It does not matter because this is just a plurality vote, but The Irishman and Parasite have some visibility issues, probably because of their respective length and subtitles. I want to say that this could make a difference in a close race, but maybe the people who did not bother watching them are not people who would have voted for them anyway. Roma (90, Seal of Distinction) beat Green Book (94, Seal of Distinction) and The Shape of Water (91, Seal of Distinction) beat Three Billboards (93, Seal of Distinction), so 1917 seems more their style than Marriage Story for a few reasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

Interestingly the last ten winners of Best Picture at CC have all had the Seal of Distinction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

That’s interesting. I have once and 1917 splitting BP/BD so those are two films with seals of distinctions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Interestingly the last ten winners of Best Picture at CC have all had the Seal of Distinction.

Well there goes Parasite’s chances then. Fuck.

Fuck the Grammys

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.