Home Forums Movies 2020 DGA Awards nominations: Reactions

2020 DGA Awards nominations: Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
51 years ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
TVFan365
Eddy Q
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Only 3/5th of the DGA nominees showed up at the Oscars last year.

Even after DGA matched perfectly with the Globes! The Oscar branch really do their own thing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Hopping on the Gerwig train I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Good to see Jojo Rabbit get some more love after a rough mid-season. DGA’s never go 5 for 5 with the Oscar’s though, just like the Globes and BAFTA’s, so Todd Phillip’s and Taika Waititi will miss out for someone else. At first I was predicting the Safdie Brothers, but now with all of the backlash BAFTA and DGA’s got it looks like Gerwig will make it in. It helps that Little Women is finally hitting its stride at the precursors.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jman02
    Topics:

DGA likes to nominate directors who work with first-time child actors (see: Garth Davis for Lion) that may or may not translate to an Oscar nomination.

Weirdly, the Oscars like nominating them, too. Especially if they show up literally nowhere else and in favor over a “sure” nominee (see: Benh Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild over Ben Affleck, and Lenny Abrahamson for Room over Todd Haynes or Ridley Scott).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Faux architect
    Topics:

So we’re all in agreement that we should strike out Waititi for Gerwig. It seems really obvious though. Something is amiss.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by M Bocioaca.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by M Bocioaca.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

Anyone think we’ll get a Martin McDonagh type situation where the person got in everywhere except the Oscars?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

So we’re all in agreement that we should strike out Waititi for Gerwig. It seems really obvious though. Something is amiss.

No we are not, and it doesn’t seem obvious to me at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rishabh Chaturvedi
    Topics:

Anyone think we’ll get a Martin McDonagh type situation where the person got in everywhere except the Oscars?

Earlier in the season I had thought it would be Tarantino missing out, but of course now his film’s currently the BP frontrunner, so that. Although imagine the meltdown if that were to happen to Scorsese somehow.

For now, I think we’ve got the Mendes-Bong-Scorsese-Tarantino quartet pretty much sewn up already. The fifth spot should surprise us à la Paul Thomas Anderson and Lenny Abrahamson.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I don’t think so this time, each of the four that have hit every precursor so far seem unsnubbable, even with this tricksy branch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

Olivia Wilde’s exclusion for Booksmart in First Feature bothers me – A LOT.

As someone who watched it for the first time last night, I can say that I was very impressed with her direction. She could have a promising career behind the camera. Not happy with her snub.

However, I’m very pleased to see Taika get in. His direction was great and very deserving. I hope it translates to an Oscar nod, but I realize he’s definitely vulnerable.

Right now Mendes, Bong, Scorsese, and Tarantino all feel safe. I’ve said before that I have a weird feeling that the latter might be this year’s big shocking snub, but that’s just a gut feeling and there’s really no logic behind it and I’m probably gonna put him back into my predictions like a sane person should.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

For now, I think we’ve got the Mendes-Bong-Scorsese-Tarantino quartet pretty much sewn up already. The fifth spot should surprise us à la Paul Thomas Anderson and Lenny Abrahamson.

*crosses fingers* Come on Lulu Wang!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I’m thinking Gerwig or Almodovar for the fifth spot. Not ruling Baumbach out yet, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Good to see Jojo Rabbit get some more love after a rough mid-season. DGA’s never go 5 for 5 with the Oscar’s though, just like the Globes and BAFTA’s, so Todd Phillip’s and Taika Waititi will miss out for someone else. At first I was predicting the Safdie Brothers, but now with all of the backlash BAFTA and DGA’s got it looks like Gerwig will make it in. It helps that Little Women is finally hitting its stride at the precursors.

Oscar voting closes today though. They don’t have time to react to this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

I don’t think so this time, each of the four that have hit every precursor so far seem unsnubbable, even with this tricksy branch.

McDonagh seemed unsnubbable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

McDonagh seemed unsnubbable.

Meh. He wasn’t a revered filmmaker and his direction wasn’t flashy. I thought he’d be nominated at the time but never thought of him as a lock.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.