Home Forums Movies 2020 DGA Awards Reactions

2020 DGA Awards Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 162 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
James Breheney
Gabe Guarin
Rachel_Ann
  • DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

What time is the ceremony?

ReplyCopy URL
    salmonpie
    Participant
    Topics:

His film is a masterpiece also! Maybe not for your taste, but it is.

If it’s not for his taste, then it’s not a masterpiece for him. I don’t think 1917 is a masterpiece for me either. And you’re no more or less right than I am. You are not the final arbiter of masterpieces. Neither are the Oscars. It’s just opinions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Some stats on the success record of the DGA:

In the 71 times DGA has handed out its top prize since 1948, they have gone on to correctly predict:

The Best Director winner at the Academy 87.32% of the time.

The Best Picture winner at the Academy 76.05% of the time.

In the era of the preferential ballot (since 2009), the DGA has become even more accurate than its historic record at predicting the Best Director winner at the Academy: 90% of the time, only missing once for Ben Affleck for Argo.

However, over this same period, they have been less successful than their historical average at matching up to the Best Picture winner at the Academy- only 60% of the time (Roma, La La Land, The Revenant, and Gravity all won DGA and lost Picture).

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

ReplyCopy URL
    Yves Manzi
    Participant
    Topics:

The nominees together this morning

https://twitter.com/chuckbraverman/status/1221164455947579393?s=20

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

has anybody found out when we will know tonight/tomorrow morning who the winners are? (:

ReplyCopy URL
    Emil Petrov
    Participant
    Topics:

I just got back from my second screening of 1917. My god…if this does not get best directing, it will be a crime. All due respect to the other nominees, but this is a directorial achievement on another level.

ReplyCopy URL
    KAZ-2.5
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Bong to win. I think Mendes will win.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  KAZ-2.5.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  KAZ-2.5.
    ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m predicting Mendes to win, but I hope Bong takes it. While 1917 was a massive technical achievement, it also failed on every single level when it came to an interesting story and emotional investment in the characters. So Bobg gets my vote for crafting a brilliant, subversive film that blends so many styles together it feels genreless, and of course bringing out the best in his talented cast.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Hinrich689
    Participant
    Topics:

While 1917 was a massive technical achievement, it also failed on every single level when it came to an interesting story and emotional investment in the characters.

Many audiences were emotionally invested with Schofield and Blake. Some even cried at Richard Madden’s heartbreaking appearance in the finale. You can call the plot simple, but A LOT of people were emotionally invested with 1917. Tbh I think more audiences cried watching 1917 than with Parasite.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Go Sam Mendes. ABC is rooting for you too, no doubt. Don’t think they want to host an Oscars where a foreign film wins Best Picture after the near-miss with Roma last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    smurty11
    Participant
    Topics:

Many audiences were emotionally invested with Schofield and Blake. Some even cried at Richard Madden’s heartbreaking appearance in the finale. You can call the plot simple, but A LOT of people were emotionally invested with 1917. Tbh I think more audiences cried watching 1917 than with Parasite.

Nope all their emotional investment is Thomas Newman’s score. That’s Oscarbait 101.
    Its just a video game movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

They have handed out their first three awards but it will be awhile before we get to the big movie categories. (Saturday Night Live (Eddie Murphy), Song of Parkland and Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All In The Family and The Jeffersons won in their categories).

ReplyCopy URL
    salmonpie
    Participant
    Topics:

Crying is not a bellwether of greatness.

If it is the main criteria, probably A LOT of people in caps would Have given BEACHES best picture.

I did not cry at 1917. The Richard Madden scene I felt especially manipulative and artificial, diminishing the amazing hyper-realistic impact of the first half.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Hooray! Alma Har’el won for her superb direction of Honey Boy!!!! (First-Time Film Direction)!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Go Sam Mendes. ABC is rooting for you too, no doubt. Don’t think they want to host an Oscars where a foreign film wins Best Picture after the near-miss with Roma last year.

Why not? Is this just your xenophobia talking?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.