Home Forums Movies 2020 Golden Globes Film Reactions (Part 2)

2020 Golden Globes Film Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
CateNicole
thatnerdgreg
Thatcher
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue in Part 2.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Guild support will always prevail over precursors anyway. Yall remember how every single precursor chose Boyhood and ignored Birdman only for the latter to bag the PGA/DGA and SAG (probably would have won WGA too had it been eligible) and eventually kill it at the Oscars

I’m really hope Parasite does well with guilds. That SAG Ensemble nom is very good for them

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone know if Parasite is eligible for WGA?

ReplyCopy URL
    Rory's First Kiss
    Participant
    Topics:

WINNERS & LOSERS IN FILM:

1917: WINNER. Last week, I finally had the chance to watch it and man, it’s was terrifyingly brilliant! One of the best war films ever but having said that it’s unfortunately not very strong with its screenplay or acting — two areas which I feel is needed to seriously contend for BP. I still believe its best chances to win lie in Cinematography, but I’d be interested to see how well Mendes does in the Critics Choice Awards before I change my pick (Bong).

The Irishman: LOSER. Had this year’s lineup wasn’t so stacked compared to the years that Spotlight, Crash and The Hurt Locker won, I would’ve thought the shutout would’ve slightly benefited their chances. I actually believe the film was amazing and it’s on my top 5 this year, but it took me three days to watch the whole movie and I think that took away some of the enjoyment I would’ve had if I wasn’t able to pause/stop it.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: WINNER. This was the night’s biggest winner – winning for acting, screenplay & picture. And it’s armed with its biggest weapon: name recognition. Pitt now has a very good chance at winning his first Oscar – I can’t see Pacino, Pesci or Hanks beating him. I believe most of the major prognosticators will elevate this film as the BP frontrunner. Now I actually very much enjoyed this film. I owned the Blu Ray and have seen it 4x already, but objectively I just can’t see it beating Parasite because it’s a bit too polarizing (not to the same degree as Joker, however).

Parasite: NEUTRAL. Given some of the upsets we’ve seen tonight, I’d say Parasite had an “ok” night. Given how foreign films are historically overlooked by the HFPA, it was still a win that they were nominated for Screenplay & Director. Had they won Director, Parasite would’ve undisputedly been the BP frontrunner. Like 1917, I’m curious to see how it does at the Critics Choice Awards. Currently, I still predict this to win BP but it needs to win either the Critics Choice Award BP or the SAG Ensemble to maintain some steam.

Marriage Story: LOSER despite Dern’s win. 1/6 hurts almost as much as the donut from The Irishman. Losing Screenplay AND Best Actor not a huge surprise given who they lost to, but it was needed to maintain some BP momentum. Now, I feel like there’s absolutely zero chance, which is a shock compared to what prognosticators were saying 2 months ago. My thinking was that Marriage Story winning Best Drama would’ve helped its chances of winning BP more so than 1917 because as I said, it’s about the screenplay & acting, which were very strong. Now, I absolutely can’t see this winning BP with 1917 emerging onto everyone’s attention even though it still has a good chance of nabbing Screenplay.

Joker: WINNER. For a moment, I was convinced it would win Best Drama. Thank God it didn’t. Personally didn’t like the movie, but I will say that Phoenix deserves to win Best Actor over Driver even though Driver was excellent. Phoenix’s performance was too haunting and startling, but most importantly to Oscar voters, it was the “transformation” much like the same way we saw Bale and others that we all need to give him his due.

The Farewell: WINNER. Awkwafina’s win tonight was like, “yes, there’s still some sanity here with the HFPA.” Realistically, I really don’t know if her win will be enough for an Oscar nomination – the Best Actress category is super competitive this year. Definitely I see her win helping this film earn some recognition and consideration to be in the BP lineup and personally rooting for Zhao to get Supporting nom.

"This is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Definitely I see her win helping this film earn some recognition and consideration to be in the BP lineup and personally rooting for Zhao to get Supporting nom.

Really rooting for those two things to happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

OMG, I’m second!!! This has never happened to me. First, I was a bit furious I gave up on my Missing Link prediction, but whatever…

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

It is eligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

These were surprisingly better than expected, as far as Golden globes go.

OUATIH winning three is amazing, much better than expected. 1917 winning all these top awards was extremely surprising too. It wouldn’t be my personal choice but I have no problem with it taking them and think it’s a solid winner, a true exception from the past few years at the globes.
    Too bad that Irishman got basically nothing… Let’s see how it goes at the Oscars, though we probably have to recalculate some things on the way

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Win certainly helps but this speech with F-Bombs left and right probably won’t help Joaquin Phoenix in the long run.

ReplyCopy URL
    RealLyre852
    Participant
    Topics:

I still won’t take 1917 as a serous best picture contender bc i dont think it will do well with the writing/acting branches (likely it won’t even get nominated there) but its prolly winning director.

will have to see how PGA goes but I doubt Hollywood is missing it at this point, RIP Irishman

ReplyCopy URL
    The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

Now that I’ve processed the actual awards I just wanna rewatch Gervais’ opener for the horrified faces in the audience.

ReplyCopy URL
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I still won’t take 1917 as a serous best picture contender bc i dont think it will do well with the writing/acting branches (likely it won’t even get nominated there) but its prolly winning director.

From what I’ve gathered no Director has won at Oscars without its movie having screenplay and acting nominations. So this doesn’t look good for Mendes. I feel like Best Director and Best Picture are going to be the most exciting races.

ReplyCopy URL
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

According to Sasha Stone, it is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Joke is locked for Best Actor. Not even being a weird far leftist will affect him. He’s safe, sadly. Just like the rest of acting categories. Wrinkled is the most vulnerable as no one really cares about her movie.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Joke is locked for Best Actor. Not even being a weird far leftist will affect him. He’s safe, sadly. Just like the rest of acting categories. Wrinkled is the most vulnerable as no one really cares about her movie.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.