Home Forums Movies 2020 Indie Spirit Awards

2020 Indie Spirit Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 133 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
teri
Dennis El Mar
Cinephile
  • Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, I guarantee y’all this Best Actor lineup is 100x better than what they’re gonna choose at the Oscars lol

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that Marriage Story wasn’t nominated for director here makes me think that predicting his snub at the Oscars was a good choice. If the Indie Spirit awards don’t even think his performance is “flashy” enough, hiw will he get attention anywhere else?

I’m not worried about Awkwafina. She’ll still get the Golden Globe comedy win and take the 5th slot. Her movie’s still hanging in there too. Maybe I’m underestimating it. Waves is dead though: I was right about that.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Laura Dern
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Also I still really want JLo to be nominated at the Oscars just to see all the sheer rage from everyone on these forums. And also the memes. The memes will be glorious.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Laura Dern
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that Marriage Story wasn’t nominated for director here makes me think that predicting his snub at the Oscars was a good choice. If the Indie Spirit awards don’t even think his performance is “flashy” enough, hiw will he get attention anywhere else? I’m not worried about Awkwafina. She’ll still get the Golden Globe comedy win and take the 5th slot. Her movie’s still hanging in there too. Maybe I’m underestimating it. Waves is dead though: I was right about that.

I understand what you’re saying, but Indie Spirits are nonetheless an unreliable predictor of industry awards because their choices are inconsistent. Stephen Frears (1990), Robert Altman (1992), Bennett Miller (2005), Lenny Abrahamson (2015), Kenneth Lonergan (2016), and Greta Gerwig (2017) have all been snubbed despite their films being eligible for the Spirits and had films who were nominated elsewhere at the Spirits and still got Directing nominations at the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Stop taking these awards seriously. Marriage Story and Jojo Rabbit will be fine come Oscar time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that Marriage Story wasn’t nominated for director here makes me think that predicting his snub at the Oscars was a good choice. If the Indie Spirit awards don’t even think his performance is “flashy” enough, hiw will he get attention anywhere else? I’m not worried about Awkwafina. She’ll still get the Golden Globe comedy win and take the 5th slot. Her movie’s still hanging in there too. Maybe I’m underestimating it. Waves is dead though: I was right about that.

the spirits like to make more inspired choices rather than a repeat of the oscars.

Hence Scott Feinberg’s comments: “Noah Baumbach’s critically praised Marriage Story, which Netflix is pushing as hard as any indie is being pushed this season, was nominated for only two awards, but they are biggies: best feature and best screenplay. And the low tally is not because the nominating committee didn’t like it, but because they found a way to show how much they liked it without having to deprive other films of more needed recognition: giving it the Robert Altman Award, which celebrates a director, cast and casting director, while also taking those individuals — among them Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Alan Alda and Laura Linney — out of competition. I would imagine that all parties are pleased about that.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

Laura Linney isn’t in this movie.

Yeah I copied and pasted it from Feinberg. He made a mistake obviously.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Some reminders of the weird Indie Spirits snubs in the last few years that proved irrelevant to the race at large (where the movie was nominated in Spirit categories other than these):

-BlacKkKlansman in Picture, Director, Screenplay, and Editing
    -Can You Ever Forgive Me in Actress
    -Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri in Picture, Supporting Actor (Harrelson), Editing
    -Lady Bird in Director
    -Call Me By Your Name in Screenplay
    -Manchester By the Sea in Director, Supporting Actress
    -Hell or High Water in Picture, Supporting Actor (Bridges, snubbed in favor of Foster)
    -Room in Picture, Director

And of course Shape of Water and Imitation Game were allegedly eligible for these but didn’t show up anywhere.

Lol Marriage Story and Awkwafina are fine.

ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking at these nominations, we’ll probably see surprise winners.

Marriage Story for Best Feature. There’s a chance we could get an upset.

Booksmart or Black Man in San Francisco will win First Feature.

Robert Eggers will win Best Director.

Alfre Woodard for Lead Actress. Her biggest competitor is Renee Zellweger. Awkwafina not nominated is pure robbery.

Supporting Actress could go three ways: JLo, Shuzhen Zhao or Octavia Spencer.

Robert Pattinson or Adam Sandler for Lead Actor.

I think Willem Dafoe easily got Supporting Actor.

Parasite will win Foreign Film.

Noah Brumbaugh will win Screenplay

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  linecelts.
    ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

MARY KAY PLACE!!!!!

Everyone go watch Diane

Banned for making a fake movie poster

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Everyone go watch Diane

My stanning destroys my credibility but I think she has the capacity to take this alongside Woodard and Zellweger. She’s been in the industry for over four decades and seems to know absolutely everyone. If voters are watching Diane (that screenplay snub hurts though) the narrative that this is her first breakthrough lead role after decades in the business can only help.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

My stanning destroys my credibility but I think she has the capacity to take this alongside Woodard and Zellweger. She’s been in the industry for over four decades and seems to know absolutely everyone. If voters are watching Diane (that screenplay snub hurts though) the narrative that this is her first breakthrough lead role after decades in the business can only help.

You’re nowhere near destroying your credibility. It’s fun and normal to root for your favorites and you’ve never presented yourself as an irrational Stan.

jmho…lol

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re nowhere near destroying your credibility. It’s fun and normal to root for your favorites and you’ve never presented yourself as an irrational Stan. jmho…lol

I’m rooting for her but I’m hoping it doesn’t come off as irrational that I legitimately think she can win. At the very least, I think she’s in a similar position to Woodard at the moment.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Dennis El Mar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Dennis El Mar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

I still have faith in Waves (Sterling K. Brown). It ain’t over till it’s over!

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

This predictions event is now active.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.